U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2015, 01:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,591 times

Advertisements

There is a Jenday Conure named "Peaches", at a large chain type of pet store. She was abused by a customer and is now so scared she won't come out of her cage. She won't even let anyone touch her. I have been visiting her every other day, talking softly, bringing treats, trying to calm her and get her out of her cage but nothing has worked so far. My heart is breaking for her. My goal is to make her friendly enough that someone will fall in love with her and take her home. If she wasn't a steep $659.00 I would bring her home in a heartbeat. I have a Sun Conure named Peaches as well but I got her from a breeder. She is an awesome bird and is only in her cage to sleep. What can I do to help the mentally injured conure?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 09:44 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,144,566 times
Buy her.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:25 PM

9,280 posts, read 5,524,864 times
If you really can't buy her, all you can do is to keep on doing what you're already doing.

If Peaches can't be handled, she's not going to be very sellable. Maybe you could use that fact to dicker with the store for a discount on her price?

Old 09-07-2015, 10:41 AM

14 posts, read 18,060 times
number 1 who is this customer and has he been charged, NEVER hit an animal unless it's self defense, I don't even like the fact I am killing ants when I'm walking outside, instead of stepping on them when I see them in the house I pick them up on a piece of paper and take them outside, someone needs to punch this customer on the face, you should raise money on a site to get enough money to buy the bird.

Old 09-12-2015, 03:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,591 times
Thank you to all! I went to visit Peaches yesterday and she was sick! I went round and round with the store manager and nearly got thrown out. On my way home I called my Avian Vet and she put me in contact with the "box store's" very compassionate corporate vet. He is amazingly knowledgeable about birds, and was all over the situation by nightfall. He has put Peaches in 72 hour quarantine for monitoring and will have her sent to the vet if anything unusual is observed. He also said that since Peaches has been for sale for 10 months, that if she is given a clean bill of health (no pun intended) he will be interested in negotiating her price! Hopefully there is a light at the end of the tunnel for Peaches!

Old 09-12-2015, 04:05 PM

5,933 posts, read 5,577,879 times
OP good for you!!!! You have a wonderful loving spirit.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:29 PM

Thank you, OP, for caring so much about this unfortunate little bird, and for doing so much to help her!

Old 09-13-2015, 11:33 PM

1,434 posts, read 1,155,655 times
OP, start a Gofundme page for this bird if you have to do it, so that you'll be able to adopt and love this conure. I've seen Gofundme pages for all manner of foolishness, but in my opinion, the love you have for this little bird isn't foolish.

Bird abuse? It's awful, isn't it? We'd lost our single male talking budgie, Westie, due to a tumour, and we were heartbroken. We adopted a male green budgie, Newman, from another pet store.

I went into a pet shop at a mall nearby afterwards and I adopted a female kakariki just to get her out of the hell that she was holed up in. I wish I could adopt all the birds in there, but as DH says, "The store will always load up on more birds."

Sneak (which is what we called her) was on display in that store for all to gawk and poke and prod, and she was not happy about it. Who can blame her?

**BIRDIE SOAP OPERA**

Sneak and I bonded, and became super close. She didn't take to males. Whoever had been antagonizing her at the pet store was obviously a male.

Oh, she loathed Newman, too. She despised him. She tried to attack him more than once, but did no real damage.

Meanwhile, Newman was enamoured by Sneak, and loved her. He'd yell, "Sneak! Sneak! Sneak-y!" and his voice would reverberate down the hall. Sneak would growl when she heard it.

Sneak chewed herself a little place where she thought she could sit by herself and chill, but Newman, smitten, decided to hang around her little hidey-hole one day. I had my camera ready.

Of course, Sneak got angry:

Sneak used to scream whenever DH came near her, or tried to talk to her. She eventually calmed down, but never did take to him. It's funny, once she calmed down and was tamer, she'd fly over to where DH's old VHS tapes were, hunker herself down on top of them, relieve herself, glare at DH, and then fly off in a huff.

Guess she was letting him know what she really thought of him, eh?!

By the way, kakariki aren't sold in pet stores in our area anymore. They aren't the sort of parrots that can easily be domesticated, and they often die suddenly at a young age while in captivity. That happened to our Sneak, and I was left heartbroken yet again when she passed.

DH and I are now parronts to Donald, our male rescue cockatiel, Mr. Turkle, my pied peach face lovebird, Spiro, our rescue talking male budgie, and his woman, Wyette (given to us by a friend).

Last edited by daynet; 09-13-2015 at 11:50 PM..

Old 09-29-2015, 12:18 PM

Any updates on Peaches, OP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds