Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2015, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,261 times

Advertisements

Hey! A few days ago my father found a nestling (we think it is a mynah bird at the moment) on the side of the road around about 5:00am or so. There were no parents in sight so he decided to take the bird home and now we are caring for it, 5 days later. The thing is, I think its leg or legs may be broken or dislocated. Some of his joints on his legs are highly visible and he has a very strange way of moving. He hobbles around but can't really get anywhere without losing his balance and rolling around but I feel like that's because he is young and his legs are weak plus his tummy is very big and so it would be difficult to walk around with that kind of shape. I am still very worried that he may have issues with his legs from falling down. I don't have enough money to visit the vet or get professional advice so please help! Also about 6 hours ago (around about) my bird started yelping every time he exhaled and then he would sit still for about 10 seconds, wheezing, and then for 3 seconds or so he would start spazzing out and flailing around before sitting still again. This went on for maybe 10 minutes or so but I don't quite know because I was freaking out and trying to stay calm the whole time. I feel like it may be suffering from aspiration pneumonia because my dad keeps giving the poor thing water through a syringe despite my best efforts to tell him off and say that it is lethal to do that for they can choke. I told him they get their moisture from fruits and veges but he continued to give the bird water. I know this is a very long paragraph but please I am at a loss here! I am afraid that if I give the bird in to the local shelter, they will kill it because it's a mynah and apparently they are quite the pest. I do not wish for the bird to die and I would like to raise it so please! Help I'll leave a few pics below so you guys can be the judge.

http://imgur.com/a/NtiFk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 09:20 PM

6,410 posts, read 10,227,023 times
Unless you live in Indonesia or India, not likely a Mynah bird.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:15 PM

10,329 posts, read 7,910,017 times
Keep the bird warm (you can use a heating pad set on low, covered with a towel) and minimize handling him as much as possible. See if you can find a wildlife rehabilitaton person in your area who could help you with the bird; they won't euthanize him.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:05 PM

50,340 posts, read 23,925,697 times
From my own sad experience, provide water for the bird to drink. Do NOT use an eyedropper or such to feed him water.

That is a VERY young bird. I am not optimistic, but good luck!

Try baby food.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:59 PM

6,615 posts, read 4,732,147 times
Looking at the pictures, yes I think he's very very young. I wouldn't think his legs are broken or dislocated, he is a nestling. Not supposed to be walking around yet.

I would also think that by now you are either doing well with him or he's dead.

It would be nice if the OP would update.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds