Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2016, 08:57 PM

850 posts, read 3,715,277 times

Advertisements

Almost every day I walk up my quiet street lined with trees a few blocks to grab a coffee. For the past couple of weeks, there is this very angry crow that is now stalking me for several blocks along the way. It swoops down and almost hits me, cawing over and over. It doesn't like me!! A lady working in her yard had noticed it and says I'm the only one it does that to.

I'm at the point where I think I'll have to pick a different street to walk on. Has anyone heard of this happening? I have never yelled or tried to shoo it away other than cover my head since I'm worried it'll hit me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 09:07 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
I read that crows can actually remember faces. Can you wear a hat or something protective? Hope these help. There were many more.
“Crow Divebombing Help” – A crow aggression primer for desperate web searchers
5 ways to avoid being attacked by crows - British Columbia - CBC News
http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/06/t...-crow-attacks/

Old 06-15-2016, 07:58 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Crow attacking me as I go for my normal walk-raq.jpg

Solution:

Old 06-15-2016, 08:14 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobefobik View Post
Almost every day I walk up my quiet street lined with trees a few blocks to grab a coffee. For the past couple of weeks, there is this very angry crow that is now stalking me for several blocks along the way. It swoops down and almost hits me, cawing over and over. It doesn't like me!! A lady working in her yard had noticed it and says I'm the only one it does that to.

I'm at the point where I think I'll have to pick a different street to walk on. Has anyone heard of this happening? I have never yelled or tried to shoo it away other than cover my head since I'm worried it'll hit me.
LOL, that is fascinating, I know crows are very intelligent. Swooping attacks like this are common from mockingbirds around here, but usually they are protecting nests. They especially go after certain cats. I've not heard of it from any other bird species.

I'd consider yourself special -- wear a hat and sun glasses for protection and keep walking your normal route and enjoy the novelty of it. I doubt they can hurt you.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:01 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,381,376 times
I've had this happen - actually it's been happening within the past few days here. However, it isn't a case of a crow seeing me and not liking me for any particular reason; this is the time of year when the babies (now fledglings) are learning to fly. Typically, the parents will follow the fledgling as it finds its way...not yet able to fly, but making attempts. In my neighbourhood this happens every June, and anyone who happens to venture anywhere near the grounded fledgling (most often not seen as the baby tends to be hidden amongst bushes) will get very verbal - and sometimes physical - warnings and attacks by the adult crows. I suspect this is what's happening to you...you've inadvertently walked near to a grounded fledgling and the parents are - in crowspeake - telling you to bugger off.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:19 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,573,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobefobik View Post

Crows recognize faces. Maybe you're...how do I put it....look weird?

Old 06-15-2016, 06:30 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
Crows do recognize faces and maybe you resemble someone who did it harm.

Bring a few peanuts in the shell with you on your walk. Crows love them. Throw them on the ground as you walk and you'll make a friend instead of an enemy.

*Please do not resort to attacking it with a tennis racquet. Sheesh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds