Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 01:01 AM

4 posts, read 38,159 times

Advertisements

I have been looking to get a parrot but I still don't know which one to get. I've narrowed it down to an African Grey Congo, Blue fronted amazon, Yellow Crowned Amazon. I'd be open to other type of parrots if any of you had any other suggestions. Not anything too big or too smaller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 09:12 PM

10,297 posts, read 7,884,295 times
No one species is "better" than another; it's a matter of picking a species that is the right fit for your lifestyle. Do you have any prior experience with birds? What traits are important to you? A lot of people are attracted to medium-sized and larger parrots because they want a talking bird, but parrots in general can be difficult pets to live with. Are you sure you're up to living with a perpetual toddler for the next 50+ years?

Old 01-02-2017, 09:57 PM

3,599 posts, read 2,858,995 times
Parrots are a heck of a lot of work. For one thing, don't **** it off or a bite awaits. I would first look into are willing to devote money, and cleaning for it and taking it out of the cage for 1 to 1.5 hrs every day to spend with you.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Parrots are a heck of a lot of work. For one thing, don't **** it off or a bite awaits. I would first look into are willing to devote money, and cleaning for it and taking it out of the cage for 1 to 1.5 hrs every day to spend with you.
I am willing too but I've heard amazons get aggressive once they mature but I don't know if it's true.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
No one species is "better" than another; it's a matter of picking a species that is the right fit for your lifestyle. Do you have any prior experience with birds? What traits are important to you? A lot of people are attracted to medium-sized and larger parrots because they want a talking bird, but parrots in general can be difficult pets to live with. Are you sure you're up to living with a perpetual toddler for the next 50+ years?
Yes I'm willing to do all of the above. I've had an African Timneh when I was younger but I don't remember much about him. I've been leaning more towards an African Grey Congo but I'm still not sure. I've heard parrot wonders say that once Amazons mature they tend to be more aggressive at times. I don't know whether that is true.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:43 AM

10,297 posts, read 7,884,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josesbu5 View Post
Yes I'm willing to do all of the above. I've had an African Timneh when I was younger but I don't remember much about him. I've been leaning more towards an African Grey Congo but I'm still not sure. I've heard parrot wonders say that once Amazons mature they tend to be more aggressive at times. I don't know whether that is true.
It is true. Specifically, Amazons can become moody and difficult to handle during the spring breeding season when their hormones are surging. But Amazons are "honest' birds (by which I mean they are easy to read once you know bird body language). They tell you exactly how they are feeling, so you can avoid handling your bird when he/she is wired up and over-excited. And they tend to be more emotionally resilient than African Greys.

Greys are less moody than Amazons, but are more easily stressed by changes in routine, and more likely to react to chronic stresses by becoming feather-pluckers. All birds need regular positive interactions with their owners, but Greys REALLY need it. And it's hard to keep them from becoming bored because they are so bright, and they don't tolerate boredom well.

So, both are nice birds and both can be rewarding pets, but they are different. Which would fit better into your household? That's what you will have to decide.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
It is true. Specifically, Amazons can become moody and difficult to handle during the spring breeding season when their hormones are surging. But Amazons are "honest' birds (by which I mean they are easy to read once you know bird body language). They tell you exactly how they are feeling, so you can avoid handling your bird when he/she is wired up and over-excited. And they tend to be more emotionally resilient than African Greys.

Greys are less moody than Amazons, but are more easily stressed by changes in routine, and more likely to react to chronic stresses by becoming feather-pluckers. All birds need regular positive interactions with their owners, but Greys REALLY need it. And it's hard to keep them from becoming bored because they are so bright, and they don't tolerate boredom well.

So, both are nice birds and both can be rewarding pets, but they are different. Which would fit better into your household? That's what you will have to decide.
I've decided to go with an African Grey. I'm just having trouble finding one within my price range.

Old 01-07-2017, 05:59 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,091,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josesbu5 View Post
I've decided to go with an African Grey. I'm just having trouble finding one within my price range.
I would check with your local animal shelter or Google a parrot rescue in your area if you are looking for a cheaper bird than store prices. Try Facebook. My town has a couple of town sale/swap sites that helped me re-home my Senegal parrot a few months ago.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:46 PM

175 posts, read 258,921 times
Yep... Do a Parrot rescue group and LET THE BIRD PICK YOU

My son went to adopt a cockatiel but a 30 year old Goffins picked him instead. The Bond they share, and his story will make you cry. A goffins was the LAST thing he had on his mind.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:09 PM

61 posts, read 92,686 times
Please look into a parrot rescue first before spending all that money. African greys, and most other parrots, require ALOT of attention to be a wonderful pet. They need to be handled, kept away from any item you cook with that has Teflon coating. It will kill them . The more you handle your parrot, the more it will rely on you. Any bird can go through a more aggressive period when they are in heat - typically Spring. I visited a place in Florida that people Will their parrots to so they will be cared for for eternity. It was so disheartening to see sooo many parrots and hundreds of Greys and other types. Greys live a long time - 75 years - so be sure you can make the commitment and have family members who will spend the time to bond with the bird too. They tend to pick one mate (you) but will, if introduced and handled by others, tolerate bonding with others. We have had a Grey - which died due to an aneyrism (sp) and now have a Senegal for 15 years. Great pet, but now that we are retired, does tie us down a bit. Parrots are beautiful and make special pets - but it will be like having a 2 year old for eternity . One other thing - Greys put off a lot of dander - if anyone has allergies - be forewarned. Do an internet search for parrot rescue in your State - or check with AVIAN or bird support groups. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds