U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2017, 10:31 AM

3,978 posts, read 3,951,635 times

Advertisements

With similar size, why are parrotlets more than 10 times more expensive than budgies?

I don't think it makes sense other than the possible fact that budgies are 10 times more easy to breed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 03:04 PM

29,472 posts, read 71,171,057 times
They are easier to breed, more common (there are a lot more breeders). They are easier to keep alive, easier to sell (faster turnover).

Old 02-10-2017, 08:07 PM

3,978 posts, read 3,951,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
They are easier to breed, more common (there are a lot more breeders). They are easier to keep alive, easier to sell (faster turnover).
How are they easier to keep alive?

Old 02-10-2017, 09:10 PM

4,952 posts, read 7,866,234 times
The price is determined by the supply and demand. The rarity of a particular species is the primary reason.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:01 AM

2,132 posts, read 1,428,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
How are they easier to keep alive?
Diets for budgies are well-defined (though invariably pretty crappy in the long-term).

There are some parrotlets that we STILL have no idea how to keep them alive in captivity. Parrotlet diets are harder to balance, harder to know what they really eat, and sometimes when we do know what they eat, hard to get hold of the actual food. Not all parrotlets eat the same stuff. There are parrotlets that only eat a particular type of fig, for example. Parrotlets also tend to be projectile poopers - inexperienced owners sometimes lose it when they find out their pretty little birds are shooting streams of poop onto nearby surfaces and walls.

People tend to feed parrotlets the same diet that most larger parrots are fed, and, like budgies, some of them will survive on that for a time. But at least some species do tend to live shorter lives in our care because what they are being fed is not really their natural diet.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:55 PM

15,002 posts, read 8,579,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
The price is determined by the supply and demand. The rarity of a particular species is the primary reason.
Consider that two different dog breeds may be the same size (what does size have to do with it anyway?), but one has taken generations to select for specific traits and the other might be a product of a careless clueless neighbor down the street.

Old 02-08-2018, 05:46 PM

4,952 posts, read 7,866,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Consider that two different dog breeds may be the same size (what does size have to do with it anyway?), but one has taken generations to select for specific traits and the other might be a product of a careless clueless neighbor down the street.
What does that have to do with my post ?? I never made such a weird comparison.

In my example, a Hyacinth macaw is far more expensive than a Blue & Gold macaw for 2 primary reasons.

Parents usually produce 1-2 Hyacinth babies per year while Blue & Gold parents can produce 6 or more per year. In addition, Hyacinth macaws are endangered and Blue & Gold macaws are common in aviculture.

And that concludes today's Economics 101 lesson.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:58 AM

2,470 posts, read 1,492,248 times
Parakeets are easier to breed. Also the big box stores buy from factory type breeders. I've seen some independent pet stores that sell hand raised budgies and they are much more expensive than the big box pet stores. But a lot more care has gone into hand raised ones. They make much better pets and are calmer. I haven't seen many hand raised ones around lately. It really makes a difference. I've had both and the big box bird I could never get calm enough to interact with me the way my hand raised one did. My advice is pay the extra for hand raised if you ever want interaction, it's worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds