Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2017, 03:14 PM

10,373 posts, read 8,015,612 times

Advertisements

I lost my sun conure Pepper to old age over Easter weekend; she went to sleep on Friday evening and never woke up. When I got her in the mid 1990s, sun conures were plentiful in the wild. Today I discovered that in 2008 the species was listed as Endangered in the IUCN Red Book. The wild population now numbers less than 4,000 birds, and may be fewer than 1,000 - and it's dwindling rapidly.

There are now more sun conures in captivity than exist in the wild, and that makes me terribly sad. And the primary reason for their rapid decline has been continued intensive illegal trapping for the pet trade, which makes me furious. This species is easily bred in captivity; there's absolutely no reason to trap them for the pet trade whatsoever.

I also learned that 1 out of 3 parrot species is now endangered in the wild (mostly due to habitat loss, destruction of wild flocks to protect agriculture, and continued illegal trapping for the pet trade).

Will humanity ever learn?

Here's hoping that efforts to stop poaching, conserve habitat, and breeding programs aimed at re-release of birds will fill the skies of South America with sun conures again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 11:37 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,513,220 times
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your Pepper. I know you must be hurting.

Trust me, I know how it feels. She is on the Rainbow Bridge now. Bless her heart.

I know that Australia has very stringent rules regarding their native parrots, but it seems as if there is always an unscrupulous dealer lurking around.

Several years ago, we adopted a red-fronted kakariki from a local pet store. The owner and employees of the store knew squat about parrots.

Our kakariki was advertised as being a male, for starters, not that it really mattered.

Not only that, the poor bird was sitting on top of her cage, and all sorts of people would go over and some kids would poke at her. She was clearly stressed, but no one in the store did anything to stop it. It was awful.

We took her, and she and I bonded quite soon after she came to live with us (just me and DH).

She was a young bird, but sadly, she only lived with us for two and a half years before she passed.

I didn't have a computer at the time, but when I did get one, I found out that kakariki don't make very good pets and are best left in the wild (New Zealand).

When she passed, part of me passed with her, I loved her that much.

Some of the things she'd do!

There is not a pet store in our area that I know of that sells kakariki any more, and those birds haven't been available for sale for many years, and it's just as well. I was relieved to hear it.

We later adopted a little male budgie, Newman, from another pet store. We didn't go into the store meaning to adopt a bird, but Newman was small, and we noticed the larger budgies were picking on him, so we took him home with us.

Newman was the best talking budgie we've ever had. And for a small budgie, could he throw his voice.

He fell in love with our Sneak, and she couldn't bear the sight of him. She could not stand him.

She chewed her own little getaway on our blinds in the kitchen so she could sit quietly and look out the window.

I had a camera ready once when Newman decided to go and cozy up to his 'girlfriend'.

Here's Sneak all quiet just after Newman flitted over...

And here is Sneak's reaction to his intrusive behaviour...

I hope these photos cheer you up a little.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:35 AM

Thank you. They did.

I'm still appalled that human selfishness and greed is unnessecerily destroying so many parrot species in the wild.Less than 30 years to go from Least Concern to Endangered in the IUCN Red Book is appalling!

Old 05-17-2017, 09:00 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,881,986 times
Unhappy *

Im so sorry about Pepper

I love birds...... One day there was a birds nest in our back porch (Up on top) and the baby birdie was sitting on the top of the chair..... I went over to her,put my finger underneath AND SHE HOPPED ON

Made me so happy......... Why cant ALL BIRDS be this nice and trusting??

I loved holding her...... She was just learning to fly and she made me happy for a couple days!! (Before she flew off and didnt come back )

I was happy for her!!!

Old 05-17-2017, 09:31 PM

Thanks, Dude111. I hope Pepper's wild relatives can continue to fly free forever.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Thank you. They did.

I'm still appalled that human selfishness and greed is unnessecerily destroying so many parrot species in the wild.Less than 30 years to go from Least Concern to Endangered in the IUCN Red Book is appalling!
I was recently on PETA's site, looking for information about the reasons why all pet cats should be kept indoors, and made the mistake of searching for 'pet parrots'.

Unless you have a strong constitution, don't do it. I was horrified by the little I saw. Absolutely awful.

The kakapo is especially vulnerable to predators as s/he cannot fly.

However, this article, though it's a year old, gives me renewed hope!

The Critically Endangered Kakapo Parrot Is Having One Fantastic Year

Old 06-23-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Im so sorry about Pepper

I love birds...... One day there was a birds nest in our back porch (Up on top) and the baby birdie was sitting on the top of the chair..... I went over to her,put my finger underneath AND SHE HOPPED ON

Made me so happy......... Why cant ALL BIRDS be this nice and trusting??

I loved holding her...... She was just learning to fly and she made me happy for a couple days!! (Before she flew off and didnt come back )

I was happy for her!!!
Aw, she was a baby...probably hoping that you'd feed her.

Had you kept her much longer, she would have imprinted on you, thinking you were her parent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds