U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-23-2020, 12:01 PM
 
971 posts, read 254,389 times
Reputation: 613

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
I'm no bird expert but I knew a couple who had a parakeet and would put his cage outside under a tree quite often in nice weather. One day they did so and left him on the porch in the sun. He died. I think he just got too hot. Poor fella.
You know a bird is getting too hot or "overheating" when he or she spreads his wings apart like a heart and starts panting. This is when a bird gets dangerously hot.

I wheeled my bird's free-flight cage outside once, did it very carefully because there was a nest box inside with eggs I did not want to jostle and it is not a 100% flat path to the outside.. put it in the garage. There are NO stray animals or anything that can get to them here, . The biggest potential factors were heat, or if they somehow escaped from the cage (which I made not possible with making sure all exit doors were closed etc, clothespins.)

That day, it started to get a little hot, so, they really did enjoy the change of scenery and they like variety. No situation was made where they may have been dead the next morning.

Left on a hot porch for hours? Yeah, that could possibly lead to.. a delayed death.

Question I have is.. These birds in the wild live in tropical rainforests in South America or New Zealand or Australia, and, as mentioned, some places in Florida... HOT, right?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-23-2020, 12:04 PM
 
971 posts, read 254,389 times
Reputation: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by loooking View Post
I let my birds out when the temps are right (SCREENED IN PORCH)
They need expsoure to the daylight,which is good for calcium and Vit D aborption.This isn't gotten through a window.
^^ That's what I have.. a screened indoor porch. If the temperature is right, they may go back out there.

They could even get out of their cage; they cannot fly away. They perched on the screen once. I give them "supervised flies." Yes, everything is checked before they do. Fans off, etc, since of course that could be instant death. Once, i bought a bird, and they like to escape during the transfer from one cage to another. Owner had the fan on and it was almost a close call.. It's true, be careful, folks. (Breeder in PA or someone that just had to sell their birds, could no longer keep them. There is also a breeder family in Monroe, NJ, on Craigslist sometime. Very gentle birds compared to the store but all birds can be friendly with enough love and time.)

Their biggest dangers still remain: Heat, and yes possible parasites/mites; clean cages. Not outside on dusty days etc.

Got 5 baby parakeets in a nest box right now; all Half English Budgies. So. Might move them to another cage. They are three days old. So. No outdoors because of the babies. They grow up so fast...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2020, 01:34 PM
 
3,244 posts, read 811,562 times
Reputation: 3540
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post
^^ That's what I have.. a screened indoor porch. If the temperature is right, they may go back out there.

They could even get out of their cage; they cannot fly away. They perched on the screen once. I give them "supervised flies." Yes, everything is checked before they do. Fans off, etc, since of course that could be instant death. Once, i bought a bird, and they like to escape during the transfer from one cage to another. Owner had the fan on and it was almost a close call.. It's true, be careful, folks. (Breeder in PA or someone that just had to sell their birds, could no longer keep them. There is also a breeder family in Monroe, NJ, on Craigslist sometime. Very gentle birds compared to the store but all birds can be friendly with enough love and time.)

Their biggest dangers still remain: Heat, and yes possible parasites/mites; clean cages. Not outside on dusty days etc.

Got 5 baby parakeets in a nest box right now; all Half English Budgies. So. Might move them to another cage. They are three days old. So. No outdoors because of the babies. They grow up so fast...

Good advice! I keep my lovebirds indoors and they get exercise flying around my kitchen when I let them out of their cages. I have a big skylight in my kitchen, but I don't know whether that lets in the sort of sunlight needed that's described here. My birds are trained to go back to their individual cages when they've had their hour of flying exercise.

I've got 3 baby lovebirds in a nest box right now. I'd love to see pictures of your baby parakeets -- are you inclined to post them? Pleeeze?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2020, 01:59 PM
 
Location: on the wind
14,359 posts, read 7,877,728 times
Reputation: 46886
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post
Question I have is.. These birds in the wild live in tropical rainforests in South America or New Zealand or Australia, and, as mentioned, some places in Florida... HOT, right?
Its all about conditioning and adaptive behavior. Those wild birds are used to those conditions right out of the egg. They can compensate for heat with behavior, short term migration, and retreating to more sheltered areas and/or bathing at different times of day. A caged bird does not have nearly the same range of choice.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-23-2020 at 02:15 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2020, 04:35 PM
 
971 posts, read 254,389 times
Reputation: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Good advice! I keep my lovebirds indoors and they get exercise flying around my kitchen when I let them out of their cages. I have a big skylight in my kitchen, but I don't know whether that lets in the sort of sunlight needed that's described here. My birds are trained to go back to their individual cages when they've had their hour of flying exercise.

I've got 3 baby lovebirds in a nest box right now. I'd love to see pictures of your baby parakeets -- are you inclined to post them? Pleeeze?
For you.. I will.

Got to go through a little procedure, but, I am already taking the cute little guys out and holding them in my hand (after I wash my hands, of course.) And again they are all Half English!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2020, 04:36 PM
 
971 posts, read 254,389 times
Reputation: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Its all about conditioning and adaptive behavior. Those wild birds are used to those conditions right out of the egg. They can compensate for heat with behavior, short term migration, and retreating to more sheltered areas and/or bathing at different times of day. A caged bird does not have nearly the same range of choice.
Oh, nice. I was honestly starting to get confused.. I have been told repeatedly that the parakeets we buy at stores and some people breed are direct, unmodified descendants of the wild birds.

And I do get confused.. Are they from South America rainforests, New Zealand, or Australia?

I wuv my birdies!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2020, 02:56 PM
 
Location: on the wind
14,359 posts, read 7,877,728 times
Reputation: 46886
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post
Oh, nice. I was honestly starting to get confused.. I have been told repeatedly that the parakeets we buy at stores and some people breed are direct, unmodified descendants of the wild birds.

And I do get confused.. Are they from South America rainforests, New Zealand, or Australia?

I wuv my birdies!!!
"Parakeet" is a general term for a group of small, slender parrots with long tailfeathers. They originated from the Pacific/Indochina. Quaker parrots, mustache parakeets, grass parakeets, Monk parrots, ring-necked parakeets are other examples. Budgerigars (the species Melopsittacus undulatus) is the bird typically referred to as a parakeet in the USA. The species originated in Australia.

Just because a specific species has an unbroken genetic link to wild birds doesn't mean it doesn't lose its tolerance for wild conditions. Birds bred in captive conditions gradually lose some their insulating down (because its not a trait breeders are focusing on preserving). They also lose that behavioral edge if it isn't necessary to survive in captivity. An individual bird can lose some of its conditioning over time if always kept in the relatively unchanging climate of the typical house. If it is suddenly taken outdoors exposure can still kill it. Part of the reason could be stress/fear at the sudden change.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2020, 05:14 AM
 
971 posts, read 254,389 times
Reputation: 613
How much sleep should they get?

I presently replicate "Sun down to sun up" for them. They go to sleep shortly after sun sets and get up when light fills the room with the morning sun...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2020, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Ocala, FL
4,770 posts, read 7,661,585 times
Reputation: 5014
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post
How much sleep should they get?

I presently replicate "Sun down to sun up" for them. They go to sleep shortly after sun sets and get up when light fills the room with the morning sun...
Sounds right to me. It's not like in the wild that they set an alarm clock to wake them up, just instinct.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2020, 02:38 PM
 
971 posts, read 254,389 times
Reputation: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Sounds right to me. It's not like in the wild that they set an alarm clock to wake them up, just instinct.
Exactly. And that is why I elect not to put a night blanket over the cage. They are all natural birds, I have some natural branches in the cage just like if they were in the wild and really they congregate as much as I can get them to like.. natural birds in a flock. In the cage, of course.. sometimes, I let them have supervised flies.

I may let them have one right now. They love it.

They also REALLY like to forage for food, so I try to find ways to sprinkle the seeds on the bottom of the cage. I have some really happy birds...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top