Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 11:41 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,427,127 times

Advertisements

I like my bird's to have lots of room to fly and move around. I would put this cage in my living room instead of outside.

https://www.amazon.com/Pawhut-65-Avi...iary+Bird+Cage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 11:45 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,732,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I like my bird's to have lots of room to fly and move around. I would put this cage in my living room instead of outside.

https://www.amazon.com/Pawhut-65-Avi...iary+Bird+Cage
that is utterly fantastic!!!!!

Old 06-23-2017, 11:59 AM

10,311 posts, read 7,897,459 times
It looks good, but I'd check to make sure that the metal mesh isn't galvanized before I'd buy it. Chewing on galvanized wire can cause zinc poisoning.

And birds use horizontal space more than vertical space when it comes to flying, which is a drawback of that cage design.

Old 06-23-2017, 02:38 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,498,704 times
What sort of birds do you have?

Old 06-23-2017, 05:16 PM

I have Parakeets.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
It looks good, but I'd check to make sure that the metal mesh isn't galvanized before I'd buy it. Chewing on galvanized wire can cause zinc poisoning.

And birds use horizontal space more than vertical space when it comes to flying, which is a drawback of that cage design.
What about this design of a cage?

Everila PCFT32 New Bird Parrot Large Cage 32"x20"x53" 3/8" Bar Spacing Cockatiel Conure Finch Parakeet Senegal Sugar Glider Chinchilla Ferret

https://www.amazon.com/Everila-Spaci...nchilla+Ferret

Old 06-23-2017, 07:13 PM

26,721 posts, read 22,295,850 times
How many keets have you got?
And don't you let them stretch their wings/fly around in you room from time to time?

Old 06-23-2017, 07:30 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,152,556 times
The black metal cage would be much easier to clean with soap and water or with a hose outside, there is a lot of cleaning when you have birds.
The wood frame on e would be much more difficult. Although I do think the wood frame is nice. The parakeet, rather budgies, that I have had always like to slide down the vertical bars of their cages. The wood one looks to have hardware cloth, I think it's called, so the couldn't do the sliding maneuver. But they would adapt fine I'm sure.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
How many keets have you got?
And don't you let them stretch their wings/fly around in you room from time to time?
Two bird's and I did let one out at one time and had a hell of a time getting it back in the cage. So I don't let them out anymore. I also afraid of them flying into a wall which is painted white.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:50 PM

26,721 posts, read 22,295,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Two bird's and I did let one out at one time and had a hell of a time getting it back in the cage. So I don't let them out anymore. I also afraid of them flying into a wall which is painted white.
Hmm...
This is the kind I use for mines ( I have two as well) - no complaints here, but I do let them out.
I have to say that the one I had for 14 years now was "trained" by my son when he was a kid, another one ( who was a chick born already in our house) just "followed the suit." That one died recently of poor health ( he inherited problems from his mother, apparently); he was 11 years old.
So I've got the replacement ( in order to keep company to my favorite one,) and the new guy is young, untrained and on a shy side. With that being said, he is quite smart and observes what other bird is doing.
So I have a play-pen that I set on top of my cage, when I let them out, and the new one learned pretty quick that that's where their place to "land and perch" after they are done flying around the room.
Then they climb to the cage at their own will. (That is when I am around of course, but when I am in a hurry to leave for example, I can put my older guy in the cage with no problems usually, since he is perching on my finger, as my son managed to teach him long time ago. But to put another one in cage is a bit tricky, since he is still afraid of me. So sometimes I just take the whole play-pen with him still on top of it, and place it in front of the cage. Then he gets an idea that it's time to get in. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds