U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2017, 11:20 PM

9,285 posts, read 5,524,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
What about this design of a cage?

Everila PCFT32 New Bird Parrot Large Cage 32"x20"x53" 3/8" Bar Spacing Cockatiel Conure Finch Parakeet Senegal Sugar Glider Chinchilla Ferret

https://www.amazon.com/Everila-Spaci...nchilla+Ferret
That cage definitely gives the birds more useable flying space, and would be easier to clean.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 12:08 PM

12,965 posts, read 6,509,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Two bird's and I did let one out at one time and had a hell of a time getting it back in the cage. So I don't let them out anymore. I also afraid of them flying into a wall which is painted white.
Birds can and do "learn" the boundaries and barriers in the room they fly in, including windows. If they never get out of the cage they are more likely to panic and injure themselves if they do happen to get loose. I have kept quite a few different cage and aviary birds over the years including some that most people would normally not let out of an indoor cage, and found most were fully capable of returning to their cage in a manageable way (its their roosting place, the place where food and water and security is) on their own. Its a matter of training and getting them used to a routine. For example....I kept leafbirds, Pekin robins, even motmots (a relative of the kingfisher) in a very large indoor aviary and would let them fly free while I was home. These were wild birds, not hand raised babies. It didn't take long for them to go in and out of the aviary almost on command.....I would start shutting off lights in the late evening and sort of "herd" them toward their cage while talking to them or putting a favorite treat inside. They would fly back to their safe roosting areas reliably. I think its safer and kinder for the birds to let them learn the geography of the room their cage sits in and to give them more freedom than the cage could ever offer. Of course this won't work if the room has hazards like loose objects, dangerous pets, toxic plants, places to get trapped, etc. It depends so much on the situation. Also if you don't happen to tolerate a few messes in the room its not kind to let them fly once in a while but then take that freedom away.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:33 AM

2,132 posts, read 1,322,913 times
I use this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00176F5L0...9NBP65AS&psc=1

They go on sale regularly for $89 to $99 and that's when I buy them. I buy 2 and put them together to make a double-wide cage.

Finches are pretty safe in a hardware cloth cage, but they're considerably riskier for parakeets because parakeets chew. I've never seen mine chew on the cage itself but then I don't watch them 24/7. I wouldn't risk it.

And no, I do not ever let my birds out of their cage. I don't want to have to bird-proof the place, there are no doors except on the bathroom and bedrooms, so they'd be in the kitchen and all over the place. Plus, I have a dog, who I am not certain would ignore a loose bird as assiduously as she does when they are in the cage. I also don't want to have to find every single spot of poop to clean up (and certainly don't want to ignore such). I have ceiling fans and lots of wires and whatnot. They can stay in their 5' double-wide cages, thank you very much. Much safer for all concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds