U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 02:09 AM

7 posts, read 3,111 times

Advertisements

I just moved to this house about six months ago. I have a big back yrd with a variety of fruit trees in the back 40. I recently hung my Hummingbird feeders on the back patio area. They stayed full for 2or3 days, i mean that I have not seen hummingbirds inspite of me really sweetening the feeders up to attract the tiny birds. No luck. So I was out on the patio late last night and early hours of the morning, and I noticed that they were still full. when I woke up this morning the feeder was completely empty!?!! I thought that it must have leaked out as I have never seen hummingbirds feed at those hours, or any birds for that matter. nor have I seen a feeder empty that quick. When i walked closer to the feeder I expected to see nectar spilled on the ground under it, but nothing, not a single drop! I'm not really sure what happened maybe someone is playing with my feeders I really cant say. Just thought maybe somebody could explain what happened to it. I filled it up again and I am going to keep a closer eye on it to see if it is someone messing with me. LOL
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 04:35 AM

45,035 posts, read 64,408,876 times
Depends on the feeder location. Bats love sweet nectar and so do raccoons.
Uninvited Guests
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:21 AM

3,579 posts, read 3,063,977 times
In my experience, winds blowing the feeder back and forth will drain the fluid out in a short time. Just fill one up, and move it back and forth on an angle and see the fluid leak out. I live in a very windy area of a windy state and used to hang the feeder under a large tree. However, it was drained after the first wind storm.
If I were to put one up again, it would be on the east or north side of the house vs. the west side.
And yes, it used to drain almost 90 percent in one night.

Old 07-23-2020, 11:59 AM

4,532 posts, read 7,280,743 times
Mosquitos with feathers.

Old 11-17-2020, 12:00 PM

2,540 posts, read 833,779 times
My feeders (3) are going "full blast" in the Summertime. They rarely fed at sunset or after. Bird action fell off a cliff about mid October, so I reduced the feeders to 2. (1 in front yard, 1 in back yard.) Still have about a half dozen (including the 2 A-type birds.)
Thinking I was going to pull all the feeders by now, I noticed the little hummers were still feeding all day. But now, they're feeding late into the evening. It gets dark here by 5pm, yet the birds attack the feeders until 10pm. Neither feeder is illuminated.

Old 11-17-2020, 05:17 PM

2,893 posts, read 641,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
My feeders (3) are going "full blast" in the Summertime. They rarely fed at sunset or after. Bird action fell off a cliff about mid October, so I reduced the feeders to 2. (1 in front yard, 1 in back yard.) Still have about a half dozen (including the 2 A-type birds.)
Thinking I was going to pull all the feeders by now, I noticed the little hummers were still feeding all day. But now, they're feeding late into the evening. It gets dark here by 5pm, yet the birds attack the feeders until 10pm. Neither feeder is illuminated.
I'll bet you get some great pictures of your skeeter birds. Are you inclined to post any for us?

Old 11-21-2020, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I'll bet you get some great pictures of your skeeter birds. Are you inclined to post any for us?
Would that I could post pics here, but this silly site doesn't have tapatalk, or Garagetalk. I use both of these for posting iphone pics on LOTS of other sites. If there's an iphone compatible 3rd party host, please let me know.

Now, about the feeders. Since my feeders are still being "utilized," I decided to deploy feeder #3 on the side yard. So, it'll take a couple days for them to "re-discover" the side feeder. The birds are here though. I have mature olive and loquat trees in the backyard, and they have lots of room to fly. Interstingly, one of the "A-types" has a nest in a full bush that's not 3 feet off the ground. One of the feeders is on their final approach and departure nest pattern. LOL

Old 11-27-2020, 09:10 PM

2,893 posts, read 641,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Would that I could post pics here, but this silly site doesn't have tapatalk, or Garagetalk. I use both of these for posting iphone pics on LOTS of other sites. If there's an iphone compatible 3rd party host, please let me know.

Now, about the feeders. Since my feeders are still being "utilized," I decided to deploy feeder #3 on the side yard. So, it'll take a couple days for them to "re-discover" the side feeder. The birds are here though. I have mature olive and loquat trees in the backyard, and they have lots of room to fly. Interstingly, one of the "A-types" has a nest in a full bush that's not 3 feet off the ground. One of the feeders is on their final approach and departure nest pattern. LOL
Check out Imgur.com. I think you may find Imgur compatible with your phone.

I really want to see pics of your skeeter birds!

Old 01-11-2021, 11:11 AM

Ok if I put this here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31fI6w9VteA

Old 01-11-2021, 11:15 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFKtoMwnNf4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds