Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2018, 05:58 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,573,853 times

Advertisements

Hello! Well, as I am sure you all know, I am new to birding. I love the little guys. I need companionship and company because I am sure you have all heard me talk about me working these 72 - and now 84 - hour weeks... doing everything (or what I can) from at work, work time now getting in the way of other money. Point is, while I really hope to have a bond with the birds and have a bird family, it can be really hard, and I would rather they bond with each other. Bonding with me would be nice too. I'm learning.

So, I came in.. and I started to freak out! First glance, it looked like they were DEAD! (I have a garden trough, the same kind you would grow flowers in, covered by a screen, as far as I know they can't get out for on those windows-open 100 degree days like today.. two fans on full blast, circulating air around but not directly blowing on the birds, for as much localized cool air in there as possible.. of course water and homemade bird bath bottom of plastic bottle and food,) and in the corner of that, where the soil is lower... I saw them just kind of sitting there like they were in a nest! They must have been sleepin? So, I cupped my hand and took the first birdie out.. all good, nice peaceful bird. Then I started to freak out...

Again, at FIRST GLANCE, it looked like my white birdie (I have more now) died and the other birdie was just perched on top of him or her (starting to see the differences in boy vs girl,) and was just like "Oh you're comfy." So, with the disdain of dealing with the death I have had to deal with more than most, it's a sickening feeling when you encounter a dead animal.. I took the second birdie off, same way...

And the birdie on the bottom was FINE! (There were three.)

I am rotating different birdies with different cages and "water-misting" them so they remember to drink, also if they feel dry or hot, they are all only a couple weeks now in this environment and they have a LOT to take in.. so those three birdies aren't in there today, only two.. but..

Birds sleep ON TOP of each other? And in the ground? What?

My Parakeets....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 03:00 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
This was confusing. Not sure exactly what you meant. IMHO if birds are huddling like that they are either scared and trying to hide, or cold and trying to get out of a draft. If they are extremely young birds like fledglings they might be huddling together to feel more secure. Something isn't right with the way they are being kept. You shouldn't be able to pick one up without it responding or moving (seeming dead).

Old 06-30-2018, 04:50 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,573,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
This was confusing. Not sure exactly what you meant. IMHO if birds are huddling like that they are either scared and trying to hide, or cold and trying to get out of a draft. If they are extremely young birds like fledglings they might be huddling together to feel more secure. Something isn't right with the way they are being kept. You shouldn't be able to pick one up without it responding or moving (seeming dead).
No no, the birdie had been asleep, and yes they are young birds, ok so I appreciate the information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds