U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2018, 02:04 PM

2,213 posts, read 963,890 times

Advertisements

One of my little birdies I think is a girl seems to go around pecking at the other birds. Is she selecting a mate, or should she be separated?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 02:20 PM

4,564 posts, read 7,351,588 times
I would tend to think it might be a male staking out his territory and establishing dominance instead.

Old 07-18-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I would tend to think it might be a male staking out his territory and establishing dominance instead.
It's possible... but the cere seems pink?

The only one I believe to be a male is the one that does the "head bob" thing when all the birds get in the cage. I read that males do that to impress a female.

My downstairs roomie I think that the one bird is running food to the female so that means that they formed a bond and probably are going to lay eggs soon. Mine don't do that, I am still observing the one that pops up when all the other birds going to the cage and then runs up to another bird... that's the same one that does the head Bob thing and I'm thinking that that's a mail that would only do that to females?

I think of it like this: Even if I am on sure which birds are mailing which birds are female, the birds know. Pair that together with how females are supposed to be more wild than males, etc..

Old 07-24-2018, 03:43 PM

I have been moving them from cage to cage in different pairings

Old 07-24-2018, 07:24 PM

13,158 posts, read 6,657,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
I have been moving them from cage to cage in different pairings
If you move them too frequently they may not be able to form or stabilize their relationships. If you are always upsetting the cart it's going to stress them out. Once you see a compatible pair form, leave them alone. I don't know how large your cage for all these birds is, but crowding increases stress too.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
If you move them too frequently they may not be able to form or stabilize their relationships. If you are always upsetting the cart it's going to stress them out. Once you see a compatible pair form, leave them alone. I don't know how large your cage for all these birds is, but crowding increases stress too.
I think I'm going to go with three cages, and leave it be. Two that have formed a bonded pair in one with a nest (and the female likes to chew on the wood, not sure how old she is,) the new one with a stubborn male and a new bird I THINK is female but showed romantic interest in today, and the other one for the other three.

I had an egg-bound bird die last week - and I'm pretty jiggeredly mad about it. That bird had a nice personality, and would ask me to put food in the cage and then hang upside down off the perch to eat it. I want another bird like that.

However... for now, they seem to be enjoying themselves and if Popcorn is of breeding age, I should be seeing an egg in there SOMEWHERE soon. (Though I haven't seen the male "mount" the female yet. But they do the regurgitate/beak thing.. basically all the time.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds