Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2019, 08:24 AM

13,535 posts, read 9,954,346 times

Advertisements

This may sound a little crazy, but this male pheasant has adopted me as his keeper, and I think it's three years I've had him around now, though he has gone missing for about six months at a time, then just reappeared, and acted like he'd never left.

Here he is, and it's about breeding time, so he's been shouting out at the top of his voice, and calling in all the local ladies. (Pheasants, that is).

Well, he's lost his voice, (and is looking like teenager who's lost his smart phone), but is still trying, though only managing a little croaky squeak. Oh, and all the local ladies he'd met, have wandered off to go with the pretty bloke from another field.

So, now he's left to moping around, and following me while I do the gardening, or tree planting, etc. (Not that he seems all that interested, he nods off!)

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone, who maybe keeps cockerels, or whatever, may have any ideas as to what's going on with his voice, and if it's likely to come back.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 11:07 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,717,670 times
Well Bec, you're a great friend to him.

How interesting....I can see how he might get hoarse or temporarily lose the voice during mating season...

Old 04-24-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Well Bec, you're a great friend to him.

How interesting....I can see how he might get hoarse or temporarily lose the voice during mating season...
Hello, Greatblueheron, and, thank you. Yes, a great friend, and I'm there for him, with a hand full of wheat, for him to eat out of, when he taps on the door.

I forgot to say, that also, when he tries to just do a little squawk thing, as in just wanting my attention, he then does a sort of sneeze, as if trying to clear his nose, (beak).

As you say, it could just be overuse. Let's hope so.

Old 04-24-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Hello, Greatblueheron, and, thank you. Yes, a great friend, and I'm there for him, with a hand full of wheat, for him to eat out of, when he taps on the door.

I forgot to say, that also, when he tries to just do a little squawk thing, as in just wanting my attention, he then does a sort of sneeze, as if trying to clear his nose, (beak).

As you say, it could just be overuse. Let's hope so.

Keep us updated on the little guy.....

Old 04-25-2019, 12:24 AM

30,264 posts, read 16,022,209 times
pheasants only live about 3 yrs in the wild. I'm wondering if it isn't nature's way of saying he's too old to breed.

Old 04-25-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
pheasants only live about 3 yrs in the wild. I'm wondering if it isn't nature's way of saying he's too old to breed.
Hello, PAhippo.

That is something I really hadn't considered, and in all honesty, I didn't know how long they live. Thinking about it, he is looking a little tatty, and I did used to call him Tatty Boy, (I've changed it now, to something he'll answer to), so maybe he's a lot older than they normally live to already.

Thanks for that, that's good information.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:24 AM

32,506 posts, read 47,521,327 times
Does he drink water that you put out for him? You could go to a livestock feed store and see if they have any antibiotic safe for pheasants. Follow the directions on the package.

I have a vague memory that says antibiotics for chickens sometimes say they are not to be used on pheasants. But since pheasants are raised commercially, there has to be something safe for them.

If he won't drink, then that idea won't work. If he does take the antibiotics, don't eat him for at least 30 days after.

If it is anything else besides a sore throat, the antibiotics won't help him and it isn't anything you can help him with.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Does he drink water that you put out for him? You could go to a livestock feed store and see if they have any antibiotic safe for pheasants. Follow the directions on the package.

I have a vague memory that says antibiotics for chickens sometimes say they are not to be used on pheasants. But since pheasants are raised commercially, there has to be something safe for them.

If he won't drink, then that idea won't work. If he does take the antibiotics, don't eat him for at least 30 days after.

If it is anything else besides a sore throat, the antibiotics won't help him and it isn't anything you can help him with.
Hello, Oregonwoodsmoke. Yes, he does drink, but it's from a big trough that's out there for all the birds.

I may just take a look at the local agricultural store, and see what they've got. I think it will be a little hard to get the dosage into him though, since the last couple of days, he's only popped in for breakfast.

No worries about the eating him, I'll not be doing that, though knowing that he wanders, I can't guarantee, on-one else will.

Many thanks.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:09 AM

Give a local vet a call....see if you can get pointers. Hope he's ok....

Old 04-26-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Give a local vet a call....see if you can get pointers. Hope he's ok....
The thing is, in every other way, he's just fine. I know, because he just came for his dinner, and after eating, he happily stood there cleaning/preening himself. I'll think of something, maybe make a few phone calls. I have a few people in the animal rights movement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds