U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2020, 04:11 PM

2,909 posts, read 647,578 times

Advertisements

Here's a new picture, this time with momma bird (Topaz Gold) and the baby (Freedom Rose). (All my birds have hippie names. LOL) None of Goldie's other eggs have hatched. It looks like Rosie is going to be an only child.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2020, 05:13 PM

4,535 posts, read 7,293,767 times
What a beautiful mother. Any pictures of dad ?

Looking at the other two eggs in the picture, the one on the right might have been fertile and didn't develop fully and the one to the left appears infertile (because it is clear as I would refer to it).

Old 03-28-2020, 06:42 PM

952 posts, read 315,305 times
I like the color theme in their names too! She a beauty : )

Old 03-28-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
What a beautiful mother. Any pictures of dad ?

Looking at the other two eggs in the picture, the one on the right might have been fertile and didn't develop fully and the one to the left appears infertile (because it is clear as I would refer to it).
So do you think I should remove those eggs, or give them a little more time? What about cleaning out the nesting box? Also, I figure it's too soon to start handfeeding the chick -- how long do you think I should wait?

Here is poppa bird. His name is Azure Moon.

Old 03-28-2020, 09:48 PM

OK, I remember that picture. I thought it was a different parent. You can give the eggs a little more time, but after 8 days since you found the first chick, I suggest you throw out the unhatched eggs. Typically, they hatch only a day or so apart but as mentioned about lovebirds, they usually don't start incubating the eggs until the entire clutch is layed.

Unless you are going to hand feed the baby yourself, I don't recommend that you clean out the nest box until momma is done and/or you pull the chick.

Old 03-29-2020, 12:56 AM

11,443 posts, read 405,742 times
I love the pics!!

Thanx Rachel

Old 03-29-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
OK, I remember that picture. I thought it was a different parent. You can give the eggs a little more time, but after 8 days since you found the first chick, I suggest you throw out the unhatched eggs. Typically, they hatch only a day or so apart but as mentioned about lovebirds, they usually don't start incubating the eggs until the entire clutch is layed.

Unless you are going to hand feed the baby yourself, I don't recommend that you clean out the nest box until momma is done and/or you pull the chick.
Thanks for the advice. Okay, this Friday I'll be removing the eggs if they haven't hatched.

I am definitely planning to hand feed this baby myself, same as I did the three babies from last year. I would very much like to have another friendly bird like my other three. I've already got a fresh jar of the same formula that I used last year (Kaytee's Exact with omega-3).

So, when would you say is a good time to take out the chick? Last year, I really had no choice, and I'm not sure how old the chicks were when I had to get them out of the tiny coconut that their mother had decided to make a home out of.

Can you tell how old they were from these pics? https://www.city-data.com/forum/55226124-post10.html

@rfomd129 & ambers72, I'm glad you're enjoying!

Old 03-29-2020, 12:32 PM

Hard to say how old they were in those pictures, maybe 2 weeks. When the parents raise the chicks, they mature/fledge much quicker than when you hand feed them. I used to hatch some of my chicks and feed from day 1 but I preferred to let the parents start the hand feeding process for at least 1-2 weeks if I knew they were good parents.

I would suggest that you wait at least until the eyes are open and the chick starts showing pin feathers before you pull it like the pictures of last year's babies.

Old 03-29-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Hard to say how old they were in those pictures, maybe 2 weeks. When the parents raise the chicks, they mature/fledge much quicker than when you hand feed them. I used to hatch some of my chicks and feed from day 1 but I preferred to let the parents start the hand feeding process for at least 1-2 weeks if I knew they were good parents.

I would suggest that you wait at least until the eyes are open and the chick starts showing pin feathers before you pull it like the pictures of last year's babies.
That's pretty much what I figured, but thanks for confirming it.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:13 PM

236 posts, read 56,596 times
Wow, they are both pretty colours, can't wait to see what the baby's going to look like . The mother looks like one of my grandma's birds. Her name was Autumn. She was the colour of leaves when they change. She had a big parrot when I was little. I was afraid of it, probably because it talked like a human and it freaked me out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds