U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2020, 09:14 PM

2,909 posts, read 647,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
For anyone interested, here is an internet site showing various lovebird mutations: https://www.abe-international.com/mutations/
Thanks for that link! So many gorgeous color variations!

I think that my most striking bird is probably the one I've named "Amethyst Rose." She's purple, with a lighter, lavender shade on her belly.

Here are a couple pictures I already had that don't really do her purple coloring justice (I'll have to take a better picture).

In this picture, Sapphire Star is on the left, Amethyst Rose is on the right.

Amethyst Rose (the flash on the camera made her plumage look more deep blue than purple).

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2020, 02:25 AM

11,443 posts, read 405,742 times
Ah they are beautiful Rachel!!

I would love to stick my finger out and have em sit on it (I have had other Birds do that and its amazing)

Old 04-04-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambers72 View Post
Ah they are beautiful Rachel!!

I would love to stick my finger out and have em sit on it (I have had other Birds do that and its amazing)
Thanks, Ambers! Sapphire and Amethyst aren't very friendly, unfortunately. Certainly not as friendly as the three babies that I hand-raised last year. Those three will land on your head/shoulders/hands and harass you until you give them a treat. LOL

Here's Freedom Rose, 9 days old. I'll soon be hand-raising her, so I'll have another very friendly (and pesky!) little bird.

Old 04-04-2020, 03:28 PM

4,835 posts, read 3,547,938 times
Awww, Rachel, I love your birds! They're all so gorgeous and handsome. I love the hippie names also.

Old 04-04-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Awww, Rachel, I love your birds! They're all so gorgeous and handsome. I love the hippie names also.
Thank you! They all have Hebrew names, as well.

Luna Love's Hebrew name was Levana (לבנה), meaning "moon." Then I found out that she was male. So the name was changed to Levanon (לבנון), which also means "moon."

Lily Blue is Shoshana (שושנה), meaning "lily."

Amethyst Rose is Vereda (ורדה), meaning "rose."

Sapphire Star is Saphira (ספירה), meaning "sapphire."

Topaz Gold is Zahava (זהבה), meaning "gold."

Azure Moon was Tekhula (טכולה), meaning "azure," until I found out that she was male. So the name was changed to Tekhul (טכול), which also means "azure."

The three babies that were born last year are:
Yafa (יפה), meaning "beautiful"
Yarkona (ירקנה), meaning "jade"
Yekara (יקרה), meaning "precious"

And the new baby, Freedom Rose, is Derora (דרורה), meaning "freedom."

Old 04-04-2020, 10:39 PM

236 posts, read 56,596 times
Aw, Freedom is starting to look more and more like a birdie each day. That's a good angle that you took the picture from. You can see her little wings up close.
So, Amethyst, the pretty purple one is mean? The other picture, she was almost the same colour as my Blue Point Siamese. She was a grayish blue.
My girlfriend had a parakeet that she was afraid of. It landed on her head one day and she shot off under the bed . I had to pull her out under the bed and the bird was back in her cage, flapping around and Misty, my cat was growling and hissing.
She didn't like birds for some reason.
I had a couple of pet fancy rats that she loved. She didn't like other people, but she actually liked dogs and pet rats.

Old 04-05-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin mouse View Post
Aw, Freedom is starting to look more and more like a birdie each day. That's a good angle that you took the picture from. You can see her little wings up close.
So, Amethyst, the pretty purple one is mean? The other picture, she was almost the same colour as my Blue Point Siamese. She was a grayish blue.
My girlfriend had a parakeet that she was afraid of. It landed on her head one day and she shot off under the bed . I had to pull her out under the bed and the bird was back in her cage, flapping around and Misty, my cat was growling and hissing.
She didn't like birds for some reason.
I had a couple of pet fancy rats that she loved. She didn't like other people, but she actually liked dogs and pet rats.
Amethyst isn't really "mean" -- she's just not as trusting of humans as my hand-raised babies are.

Your blue-point Siamese cat sounds lovely! If you post a picture of her in the Cats Forum, please let me know! Here's a present for her, from me:

And here are a couple pics taken this morning of my baby, now 10 days old!

Old 04-05-2020, 12:52 PM

4,535 posts, read 7,293,767 times
Clearly the parents are very tolerant of you and I think the baby is starting to bond to you as it looks comfortable with you holding him. I had a few pairs of birds that would try to rip me apart if I attempted to separate the chicks or eggs from the nest. Typically the birds who were previous pets had no fear of humans and would attack to protect the nest.

I did have a pet cockatiel who I could just pick up and move in the nest without any fuss even when they had eggs or chicks. Funny story about him, when he was a baby his crop got burned when he was being hand fed. Unfortunately the food was too hot coming out of the microwave and a small hole developed. We stitched up his crop and he healed up nicely. His name was "Leaky" and was a great bird and a good parent.

The baby looks happy and healthy from your pictures. They grow fast, don't they ?

Old 04-05-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Clearly the parents are very tolerant of you and I think the baby is starting to bond to you as it looks comfortable with you holding him. I had a few pairs of birds that would try to rip me apart if I attempted to separate the chicks or eggs from the nest. Typically the birds who were previous pets had no fear of humans and would attack to protect the nest.

I did have a pet cockatiel who I could just pick up and move in the nest without any fuss even when they had eggs or chicks. Funny story about him, when he was a baby his crop got burned when he was being hand fed. Unfortunately the food was too hot coming out of the microwave and a small hole developed. We stitched up his crop and he healed up nicely. His name was "Leaky" and was a great bird and a good parent.

The baby looks happy and healthy from your pictures. They grow fast, don't they ?
They sure do grow fast! It was less than a week ago when she looked like a naked fetus!

My birds are pretty tolerant when I take the baby out. I don't keep her out long, and I don't do it more than once or twice a day. She really is getting used to being held. Momma bird does let me know that she's not entirely happy with it, and sometimes she'll make a few threatening jabs at me, but mostly she seems to trust me.

Yikes, poor Leaky! Last year when I started hand-feeding, I would slowly warm the water in a pan on the stove, and then add it to the dry formula powder until I got the consistency that seemed right. I tested the temperature on myself and, fortunately, didn't have any mishaps. I wouldn't have a clue as to how to stitch up a crop! Now I'll be even more careful with this little one I've got.

Old 04-05-2020, 03:19 PM

1,434 posts, read 1,153,802 times
Such beautiful lovies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds