Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2020, 04:52 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,872,593 times

Advertisements

11 days old!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2020, 08:52 PM

3,374 posts, read 1,964,723 times
It's such a treat to see photos of these beautiful baby birds. I love watching the birds in our backyard but of course by the time they're able to fly into our yard, they're no longer babies. Thank you so much for letting us get a peek at their early days of life.

Old 04-07-2020, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
It's such a treat to see photos of these beautiful baby birds. I love watching the birds in our backyard but of course by the time they're able to fly into our yard, they're no longer babies. Thank you so much for letting us get a peek at their early days of life.
You're very welcome! It makes me happy to share these photos with all of you, in hopes that they can bring a few smiles in these trying times. Life is so precious, even if it's something as humble as a little bird.

Old 04-07-2020, 04:16 PM

Day 12 since she hatched, and I discovered THIS.

I've removed her permanently from her parents' cage, and I'm going to start hand-feeding her today. Last year, I hand-fed chicks every four hours, nearly around the clock. I see sleepless nights ahead.

@dontaskwhy: How bad does this look to you? The baby seems mostly unconcerned by it, but I am totally freaking out.

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 04-07-2020 at 05:11 PM..

Old 04-07-2020, 07:05 PM

6,472 posts, read 10,338,139 times
I suspect the parents were picking the chick's feathers. I don't think it will be a major issue, but keep the baby under heat, not too much though. Might be a little feather loss in a few spots but likely not health threatening. Keep a close eye and if you see any abnormal behavior of the chick you should consult a veterinarian ASAP. You definitely did the right thing pulling the chick from the nest. You should use a small amount of antibiotic cream on the sore/picked spots.

Last edited by dontaskwhy; 04-07-2020 at 07:23 PM..

Old 04-07-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I suspect the parents were picking the chick's feathers. I don't think it will be a major issue, but keep the baby under heat, not too much though. Might be a little feather loss in a few spots but likely not health threatening. Keep a close eye and if you see any abnormal behavior of the chick you should consult a veterinarian ASAP. You definitely did the right thing pulling the chick from the nest. You should use a small amount of antibiotic cream on the sore/picked spots.
Thanks, dontaskwhy! I used an alcohol wipe on the sore spots and she's looking better. I think you're absolutely right about how the parents must have been picking the chick's feathers, because I'm not seeing any open wounds on her, and the blood came off with the alcohol wipe.

She's still pretty feisty, so I'm feeling a lot better. I don't have a heat lamp, but I have her in a small animal carrier nestled within and under a terry cloth dish towel. I've also covered the carrier with a dish towel, to keep her warm. She's taking the formula fine, so that's a relief, as well. I've set my phone to wake me at 2 a.m. for another feeding.

I get so attached to these little creatures. I really appreciate your help!

Old 04-07-2020, 09:34 PM

Anyone who has raised baby birds long enough has encountered this from time to time. I thought there might be open sores but from your last report, that is not the case. Unfortunately, the parents probably got upset with you taking the chick out of the nest too often and they rejected it and started to pick its feathers.

How many times a day are you going to be feeding the chick ? I think he might only need about 3-4 feedings for now.

I am not suggesting you need to start incubate/hatch the babies, just don't handle them until you are ready to pull them and feed them yourself. Sounds like you averted a major disaster and the baby should be fine.

Old 04-08-2020, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Anyone who has raised baby birds long enough has encountered this from time to time. I thought there might be open sores but from your last report, that is not the case. Unfortunately, the parents probably got upset with you taking the chick out of the nest too often and they rejected it and started to pick its feathers.

How many times a day are you going to be feeding the chick ? I think he might only need about 3-4 feedings for now.

I am not suggesting you need to start incubate/hatch the babies, just don't handle them until you are ready to pull them and feed them yourself. Sounds like you averted a major disaster and the baby should be fine.
I think you're right. I should either have left the chick alone totally, or pulled her completely from the nest and started handfeeding. Last year I didn't have this problem, because I had to pull the chicks due to them growing too big for all three to fit in the tiny hollow coconut that their mother had decided to use as a nursery.

The chick has accepted the formula and is eating well. After I fed her at 2 a.m., I went back to bed and didn't get up again until 8:30 this morning to feed her.

Here's her picture, 13 days old:

Old 04-08-2020, 07:58 AM

How much food is given per feeding? Looks like a 1cc syringe in your latest picture.

Old 04-08-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
How much food is given per feeding? Looks like a 1cc syringe in your latest picture.
I don't use the entire amount that the eye-dropper holds. Either the chicks let me know when they've had enough, or I feel to see if their crops are full. I'm taking it slowly right now with this baby, as she's had this sudden change of diet. She seems to be doing well. I also make a fresh batch of formula for each feeding.

I'm keeping the house warm and, even though I don't have a heat lamp (and I think I'd be afraid of using one of those), I do put her covered cage under a desk lamp for a few minutes at a time to warm it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds