Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 04:58 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,870,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynet View Post
Have you decided to keep them?

I don't think that I'd be able to part with them after feeding them...
I'm definitely keeping them. Every time they squawk for food and come tumbling towards me, my heart just melts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Unless you want to start breeding lovebirds for sale, you're going to need a second cage so you can split mama bird and poppa bird up before they can lay lay more fertile clutches.
I took the hollow coconut out of the parents' cage in hopes that would dissuade momma bird from laying eggs again. I did consider splitting them up, but they're so bonded to each other that I don't know if I could do it. I have two other pairs of lovebirds (in their own cages), but so far no signs of eggs so hopefully they're same-gender pairs. I don't want to breed lovebirds. Plus, I think I have more than enough birds right now. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 06:02 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,732,266 times
What exquisitely beautiful creatures.

Old 05-27-2019, 08:55 AM

Thanks, everyone, for all your lovely comments! Here's an updated picture that I took this morning. Babies are growing and getting very demanding for their feedings!

Old 05-28-2019, 02:13 PM

859 posts, read 704,892 times
Pretty nice!

May I ask a question, in the page 1, when you took the babies from the nest, did you give them back to the nest again? If so, did their mother accept them?

Because it said (I'm not sure of this info), if you touch the babies, the mother bird will not accept them.

Old 05-28-2019, 02:56 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,976,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic Bird View Post
Because it said (I'm not sure of this info), if you touch the babies, the mother bird will not accept them.
That's actually a myth, fortunately. Professional ornithologists touch baby birds in order to band them all the time. Excessive/prolonged disturbance around a nest may lead the parents to abandon it, but that's because they figure the chicks are doomed to fall victim to predators, not simply because the chicks have been handled. Most birds (a few vulture species excepted) have next to no sense of smell, so they have no way to detect that their chicks have been handled unless they actually see it happening.

The babies look like they're developing nicely!

Old 05-28-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic Bird View Post
Pretty nice!

May I ask a question, in the page 1, when you took the babies from the nest, did you give them back to the nest again? If so, did their mother accept them?

I didn't really plan on hand-raising these babies, but they were terribly crowded in the little coconut that momma bird had decided to make her nursery. I tried moving the babies to a proper nesting box, but momma bird seemed confused by the switch and wouldn't go near the box. So then I put the babies back in the coconut, and momma bird went back to tending them.

Then a friend who had seen the pictures I took of the babies (the first time I had them out of the coconut) said that they were in danger of getting splayed legs and the coconut wasn't very good for them. I had no choice at that point but to take the babies out again. And, of course, that's how I ended up hand-raising them. They seem to be gaining weight well, now that they're out of that cramped coconut and they're not pushing each other out of the way for food like they were when momma bird was feeding them. I weigh them every morning.

As a side note, momma bird doesn't seem to miss the babies at all. In fact, she seems to have forgotten about them entirely. This was her first (and hopefully last!) breeding. I'm not giving the babies away (I'm too attached to them now) but these babies have increased my lovebird population by 50%. I've now got 9 birds instead of 6. Oy vey!

Old 05-28-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
That's actually a myth, fortunately. Professional ornithologists touch baby birds in order to band them all the time. Excessive/prolonged disturbance around a nest may lead the parents to abandon it, but that's because they figure the chicks are doomed to fall victim to predators, not simply because the chicks have been handled. Most birds (a few vulture species excepted) have next to no sense of smell, so they have no way to detect that their chicks have been handled unless they actually see it happening.

The babies look like they're developing nicely!

Thanks, Aredhel! Are you able to tell how old they are from my pictures? It's now two weeks since I first noticed the eggs had hatched. I think they must be a bit older than 2 weeks, though.

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 05-28-2019 at 03:27 PM..

Old 05-28-2019, 03:33 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,976,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Thanks, Aredhel! Are you able to tell how old they are from my pictures? It's now two weeks since I first noticed the eggs had hatched. I think they must be a bit older than 2 weeks, though.
Alas, I can't help you with that. I've never reared lovebird chicks.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:48 AM

I think it's almost time to start weaning the babies. I've moved them to a proper bird cage now. Here's a pic I took this morning:

Old 06-02-2019, 06:21 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,329,163 times
A little early to wean them completely based on that photo. How many feedings have they been on up to this picture? That age should be on 2-3 feedings. You can introduce them to soft food but they are not old enough yet not to hand feed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds