U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 06-10-2019, 12:59 PM
 
2,902 posts, read 644,273 times
Reputation: 2711

Advertisements

Today was the first day that all three babies got up on a perch together!


They don't look exactly like their father (a peach-face lovebird), and I'm wondering whether this is because they're hybrids? They seem to have some of the grayish markings on their heads that their mother has. Can anyone take a close look and give me your opinion?

Also, does anyone know whether the black on their beaks will disappear as they mature?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-10-2019, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Ocala, FL
4,534 posts, read 7,285,658 times
Reputation: 4524
The black "flecking" on the feathers might disappear, hard to say with any certainty. Cute babies. They look happy and healthy from that picture. Are they starting to eat on their own yet? I wouldn't stop hand-feeding them quite yet. Judging by their size, they might be down to 2 feedings, unless they have already started eating enough.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2019, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
9,254 posts, read 5,504,635 times
Reputation: 24244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Today was the first day that all three babies got up on a perch together!


They don't look exactly like their father (a peach-face lovebird), and I'm wondering whether this is because they're hybrids? They seem to have some of the grayish markings on their heads that their mother has. Can anyone take a close look and give me your opinion?

Also, does anyone know whether the black on their beaks will disappear as they mature?
I don't think they're hybrids, they're simply in juvenile plumage. The dusky markings on their head feathers, along with the black markings on their beaks, will fade as they mature.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2019, 03:19 PM
 
2,902 posts, read 644,273 times
Reputation: 2711
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
The black "flecking" on the feathers might disappear, hard to say with any certainty. Cute babies. They look happy and healthy from that picture. Are they starting to eat on their own yet? I wouldn't stop hand-feeding them quite yet. Judging by their size, they might be down to 2 feedings, unless they have already started eating enough.

I tried leaving some millet in a dish in their cage, but they ignored it. I did notice one of them appearing to take a drink of water from another dish. I'm pretty much still hand-feeding them on demand – and they demand feeding about three times a day.

Two of them seem to be pretty much fully-feathered now. The smallest one (the runt? last egg hatched?) still has bare patches between her shoulders and neck.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2019, 03:20 PM
 
2,902 posts, read 644,273 times
Reputation: 2711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I don't think they're hybrids, they're simply in juvenile plumage. The dusky markings on their head feathers, along with the black markings on their beaks, will fade as they mature.

While I'm sure that their father is a peach-face, I'm not sure exactly what their mother is. Could she be a very light variety of masked lovebird? She seems to have the eye-rings of the masked birds. I posted a pic of the parents on page one of this topic. Here's the link to the posting:

//www.city-data.com/forum/55196835-post5.html
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2019, 03:36 PM
 
Location: ☀️ SFL (hell for me-wife loves it)
3,494 posts, read 2,552,177 times
Reputation: 11204
What a wonderful job you've done with your first run at raising baby birds Ms. Rachel.
They look so healthy and well loved. Your setup photo is also very nice. It looks as
though all of your birds are happy.

Last edited by TerraDown; 06-10-2019 at 03:58 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2019, 03:41 PM
 
Location: Ocala, FL
4,534 posts, read 7,285,658 times
Reputation: 4524
Keep in mind that the coloration can change as the babies mature. Even the eye color in some species can change. My Senegal parrot, about 2 1/2 years old currently has grey eyes that will change to orange in a few years.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2019, 08:11 AM
 
2,902 posts, read 644,273 times
Reputation: 2711
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
What a wonderful job you've done with your first run at raising baby birds Ms. Rachel.
They look so healthy and well loved. Your setup photo is also very nice. It looks as
though all of your birds are happy.
Thanks! I consider it a privilege to have had this experience!

And, thank you, to everyone else, for all your advice and encouragement!

I had a weird experience with the babies this morning. I let their parents out of their cage while I was feeding the babies (the babies are eating mashed-up birdfeed pellets now, instead of formula). Their poppa landed on the table where I was feeding the babies, and started to approach them. Two of the babies stopped eating and squeezed up against me, while the third aggressively tried to chase away poppa bird! Then all three cuddled up against me. Is this normal behavior?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2019, 08:13 AM
 
1,789 posts, read 811,076 times
Reputation: 6091
They are so cute! Thanks for continuing to share!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2019, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Ocala, FL
4,534 posts, read 7,285,658 times
Reputation: 4524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post


Two of the babies stopped eating and squeezed up against me, while the third aggressively tried to chase away poppa bird! Then all three cuddled up against me. Is this normal behavior?
Not at all unusual, the babies are clearly bonding to you and their parent is now considered by them as a possible predator. They are being defensive and instinctively looking to you for protection.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top