Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 08:03 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,871,828 times

Advertisements

Oh, yikes. A different pair is having babies now. Tonight I counted 5 eggs. I made the mistake of giving them boxes to play in, and one pair decided to set up housekeeping.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2020, 08:25 PM

6,471 posts, read 10,338,139 times
The eggs might not be fertile. It does happen.

Old 02-26-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
The eggs might not be fertile. It does happen.
I guess I'll know in about three weeks from now.

Old 02-26-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I guess I'll know in about three weeks from now.
If they do hatch, I suspect they'll be sterile, just as I suspect my three babies from last year are sterile. They're all hybrids.

Old 02-27-2020, 06:33 AM

Not all hybrids are sterile, that is a myth. How did you determine last year's babies are sterile ? Even if they are sterile, the females can still lay eggs.

I bred pied Peach Faced lovebirds for several years successfully. Have the lovebirds been sitting the eggs or was the nest empty when you found the eggs?

Old 02-27-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Not all hybrids are sterile, that is a myth. How did you determine last year's babies are sterile ? Even if they are sterile, the females can still lay eggs.

I bred pied Peach Faced lovebirds for several years successfully. Have the lovebirds been sitting the eggs or was the nest empty when you found the eggs?
Thanks for that information, D! I'm only guessing that last year's babies are sterile, and hoping I guessed right!

The current mama bird is definitely incubating her eggs. She almost never leaves the box and the papa bird comes in to feed her. When I let my birds out of their cages in the evening for an hour of exercise, she shows no interest in joining them.

I really love best the babies that hatched last year, as they are so friendly and will land on my shoulders or head. They give "kisses," too. None of my other birds do that. So, I'm kind of hoping to get some more friendly birds from this batch, if possible. But I shouldn't complain -- even my less-friendly birds are responsive to training (with millet), and I've got them all trained to go back to their cages when their hour of flight is done. (I no longer have the birds' wings clipped, and the babies from last year have never been clipped.)

Old 02-27-2020, 09:07 AM

Of course, best wishes. Please let us know if they do hatch and don't hesitate to post pictures.

Old 02-27-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Of course, best wishes. Please let us know if they do hatch and don't hesitate to post pictures.
Hi again, D. I've posted a picture here of the papa bird (his name is Azure Moon). Would you say that he's a pied blue? I think he's a masked lovebird, because of the white, leathery rings around his eyes. But I'm not sure. I don't even know if he's a hybrid masked/peach-face.

The mama bird (her name is Topaz Gold -- "Goldy" for short) is a lutino. I've read that the lutino gene is recessive and sex-linked, so I'm probably not likely to get any lutino babies?

Thanks for your expertise and help!

Old 02-27-2020, 01:17 PM

I used to raise green, lutino and blue Indian ring neck parakeets. I bred them to produce different color mutations. I was only 2 generations away from breeding the albino mutation. I am not that versed on the lovebird mutations. That male lovebird appears to be a color mutation, and a beautiful one at that.

From my ring neck parakeet breeding experience, the green was the easiest to produce, the lutino the second easiest and the blue was more difficult. The lutino mutation was sexed-linked and the blue was recessive, the gene had to be carried by both parents.

Last edited by dontaskwhy; 02-27-2020 at 01:27 PM..

Old 02-27-2020, 01:37 PM

I believe that is a Fischer lovebird mutation based on what I found searching the internet.

See this chart: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2f/35...65fbd0ae81.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds