U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2019, 06:59 PM

1,236 posts, read 462,362 times

Advertisements

I’ve had Emma for 18 years and lover her a lot.
She was so young when we got her from the breeder we had to finish her spoon feeding.
She is a Green Wing Macaw.
She has a really large cage that has a water and feeder door on each side.
Two days ago she either figured out how to unlatch the door or we possibly didn’t properly latch the little food door shut.
She got out and my Sons stupid large dog ( that we are taking care of) attacked her.
OMG I thought she was going to die.
I hugged and held her for several hours after I checked her out.
I am not shy about vet costs at all but I didn’t take her in.
She is doing well now and other than some feather loss she is ok.
She is now being spoiled rotten with all sorts of attention and even upstairs privileges on a large perch in our room at night.
I’m posting this as an informational post to aware people of that escape route.
Before that stupid dog was here she had full run of the house.
Thanks for reading this.
Andy.
Attached Thumbnails
My poor bird-2fefea59-d14f-466a-b8db-68bcbb4c4e69.jpeg  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 07:09 PM

9,253 posts, read 5,499,855 times
Keep a very close eye on her! She may need antibiotics. Dogs and (especially) cats can carry dangerous bacteria in the mouths which can kill a bird.

I am so glad that she wasn't killed, and that she appears to be recovering.

Old 10-07-2019, 07:32 PM

1,236 posts, read 462,362 times
Thank you Aredhel,
I didn’t think about that.
I will take her in.

In my original post I mentioned a couple times how stupid the dog was.
Now in reflection I believe it was me that was the “stupid” one.
Thanks again.
Andy.

Old 10-07-2019, 07:50 PM

9,253 posts, read 5,499,855 times
Make sure you take Emma to a qualified AVIAN vet. The Association of Avian Veterinarians has a finder tool that may prove helpful if you don't already have a vet for her: Find an Avian Vet Form

Old 10-07-2019, 08:13 PM

16,937 posts, read 6,990,640 times
I do not have a bird but we might. Have to be the right circumstance but that is exactly how we got a dog. We would likely give the bird full access. We would ignore the dog. If the dog got near the bird and it came back at him he would high tail it. Rodents he will deal with badly but things that fly scare him.

The cat however is a large Maine Coon and will dispatch a bird on opportunity. We get a bird in the house every six months or so and the drill is to get the bird out before the cat can get it. We even have a long handled butterfly net to handle hummers.

Not however as bleak a thing as you would think. The cat is very intelligent and properly introduced and instructed on a large bird he will behave. Likely even make friends. Would not try it with a small bird as it might well end up as cat desert. But a reasonable sized and pushy bird would do fine.

Old 10-20-2019, 05:21 AM

1,337 posts, read 478,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I do not have a bird but we might. Have to be the right circumstance but that is exactly how we got a dog. We would likely give the bird full access. We would ignore the dog. If the dog got near the bird and it came back at him he would high tail it. Rodents he will deal with badly but things that fly scare him.

The cat however is a large Maine Coon and will dispatch a bird on opportunity. We get a bird in the house every six months or so and the drill is to get the bird out before the cat can get it. We even have a long handled butterfly net to handle hummers.

Not however as bleak a thing as you would think. The cat is very intelligent and properly introduced and instructed on a large bird he will behave. Likely even make friends. Would not try it with a small bird as it might well end up as cat desert. But a reasonable sized and pushy bird would do fine.

Think LONG AND HARD about making a commitment to a large parrot such as a macaw or cockatoo. They live long lives and require LOTS of attention and space. Personally, I think anything other than a free-flight environment is cruel, and that’s practically impossible. A large cage & toys are not enough to keep them happy and occupied. They usually become bonded to only one person. It’s like having a permanent two year-old with a strong, sharp beak & claws.

They require a varied diet...lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, some protein...not a seed diet.

Do you have a lot of money? Hope so, because they do get ill and need to be seen by an AVIAN veterinarian. That is what should be happening with the above-mentioned bird.

They are very noisy and very messy. If you travel, you will need to find a caregiver who is experienced with these large birds, and that will cost you.

They are very susceptible to upper respiratory infections if exposed to damp, cool weather, which makes perfect sense, since they are native to Central and South America. In the USA, they do best in warm (not hot) climates.

Birds of this type are social, in the wild they are in flocks and mate for life. If they become lonely and/or bored, they will do self-destructive things, like pulling out their feathers or even ripping themselves open.

If you are gone most of the day, working or otherwise, this is not the pet for you.

How do I know this? I was married to someone who bought a blue and gold macaw on a whim, and I became his unwilling caregiver, but I felt very sorry for him and wanted to give him the best life possible, and that’s what I did...for decades.

If you must have a bird, go with something smaller, like a cockatiel or parakeet. Owning a large parrot is just plain selfish.

Last edited by happygrrrl; 10-20-2019 at 05:32 AM..

Old 10-22-2019, 06:03 AM

1,158 posts, read 375,591 times
where is the best place to get a small parakeet?
and if you let it out of the cage,how do you clean up its poops?
is it better to get a pair,should it be male and female?

Old 10-22-2019, 06:59 AM

4,532 posts, read 7,280,743 times
Your best bet to find a parakeet is to buy from a local breeder. Check you local classifieds. Make sure you get a large enough cage for the bird to fully extend it's wings and take short flights.

You will get various opinions about keeping the bird in a cage at this internet forum, but I feel the bird should only be let out of cage under close supervision.

It is not necessary to get a pair of birds, but it would be suggested if you will not be home on a regular basis to interact with the bird.

Old 11-06-2020, 06:17 PM

1,325 posts, read 760,689 times
We have a male Noble Macaw, 22 years old. Ben is larger than a Cockatiel but smaller than an African Grey. His bite would make any Pit bull proud of himself. I can handle him fine but Dear Wife wears a heavy contractor glove with plastic pipe inserts if she needs to move him to the other cage.

Currently our dog is an Airedale, and before the Airedale we had a German Pinscher and a Manchester Terrier together at the same time.

In the beginning every dog but GP tried to kill Benjamin. After a while all dogs became scared of Ben and learned to avoid him entirely. When we had the GP and the Manchester and I wanted them out of the house all I had to do was put Ben on the floor and the dogs would fight over who is first out through the dog door.

Last edited by mgforshort; 11-06-2020 at 06:26 PM..

Old 11-10-2020, 09:34 PM

2,893 posts, read 641,140 times
MechAndy, I'm so glad that Emma is recovering. What a terrible fright that must have been! It's kind of you to keep your son's dog for him but I hope that's only a temporary situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Your best bet to find a parakeet is to buy from a local breeder. Check you local classifieds. Make sure you get a large enough cage for the bird to fully extend it's wings and take short flights.

You will get various opinions about keeping the bird in a cage at this internet forum, but I feel the bird should only be let out of cage under close supervision.

It is not necessary to get a pair of birds, but it would be suggested if you will not be home on a regular basis to interact with the bird.
Yep, I agree that birds should only be let out of the cage under close supervision. I have a very small dog (rescued Shih Tzu/Lhasa Apso mix), but I don't take any chances. I keep him gated out of the room when my birds are out and exercising. Plus, I never leave my birds alone when they're out of their cages. Actually, my birds never leave ME alone. When they've had enough flying around they start landing on my head, my shoulders, my arms, my hands, pestering me to give them their millet treat. Which I do, and then they all fly back into their cages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds