Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 11:45 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times

Advertisements

Hi,

So my dad has had several cockatiels. I think he's had four that I've known of. He even had one from the pet store that was born with a foot abnormality we loved and took care of. Almost of them had peaceful natural deaths. One flew under a sofa and had an accident and was a sad tragic ending This bird, Eago, has lived about the longest. I'm a bit concerned for it because it wopples on one leg that has a pet store bird tag on it since he got it. It still gets around fine. Drinks, poops, and eats normally. It really just wants love and when I try to put the bird on the bottom floor of the cage to get around easier, it prefers to be up top or near the other younger bird is. It seems to have a favorite spot and even though, there isn't much room on the top of the cage the bird feels comfortable up there. The older bird mostly seems to nap alot and I mean puts head down and eyes closed. I'm not sure if it's sleepyness or dizzyness, but since the bird is so old I am guessing just old age. It usually wakes up when some one is around though.

My dad is cheapo and probably won't take the bird to the vet to check it out just in case. He thinks it's old and since its eats, drinks, and poops fine it must be fine. If there's any emergency for the dogs though, he does take care of them. So he's not completely soul-less and he did love our little Minnie who had the leg abnormality.

I attached a picture of the birds. It's close to their bed time. The one in front is Eago. I put his favorite snack near him bc he likes to munch on it before bed and when he wakes up.

Anyways, just wanted to share as I am sad to see the old bird getting older
Attached Thumbnails
Father's older cockatiel seems like it's getting run down and may close to passing on...-image0.jpg  

Last edited by the city; 11-11-2019 at 11:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 04:52 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
IMHO your dad IS heartless. What might have started off being a simple fix (like removing an irritating leg band) probably isn't now. A bird deserves the same level of care any dog does. The cage looks filthy. Being cheap doesn't give him permission to be negligent. Give the poor bird to someone who will give it a decent life.

Old 11-13-2019, 05:26 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,126,009 times
Would it be possible for you to take the bird in? I’ve even taken my chickens and geese in for various things and it’s not that expensive. If it’s a leg band that is too tight, it’s cruel to have the bird suffer. I snip off bands on my baby chicks when they are a couple of days old. It’s a simple process. Now, with this older bird, the band may be cutting off circulation and his leg hurts.

Old 11-14-2019, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Would it be possible for you to take the bird in? I’ve even taken my chickens and geese in for various things and it’s not that expensive. If it’s a leg band that is too tight, it’s cruel to have the bird suffer. I snip off bands on my baby chicks when they are a couple of days old. It’s a simple process. Now, with this older bird, the band may be cutting off circulation and his leg hurts.
Where I live doesn't allow any pets of any sorts. It's a metal band, so I am told he would have take it in to have it removed.

Old 11-14-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Where I live doesn't allow any pets of any sorts. It's a metal band, so I am told he would have take it in to have it removed.

Ok, would you be willing to take the bird to the vet and pay for the visit? The bird is limping because his leg hurts from a tight band. He still eats but that doesn’t mean he feels good. I don’t understand why it wasn’t taken off when your dad bought the bird.

This bird might live longer than you think, so give him a good quality of life and don’t make him suffer.

Last edited by Taz22; 11-14-2019 at 07:46 AM..

Old 11-14-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Ok, would you be willing to take the bird to the vet and pay for the visit? The bird is limping because his leg hurts from a tight band. He still eats but that doesn’t mean he feels good. I don’t understand why it wasn’t taken off when your dad bought the bird.

This bird might live longer than you think, so give him a good quality of life and don’t make him suffer.
Unfortunately I am not in a financial situation to take the bird to the vet. The metal band is somewhat loose. It can go up and down. It may have snagged it though or somehow it irritated that leg.

I don't have pets anymore because I financially don't have the money.

I can't control my father's action. All I can do is suggest to him that he think about taking the bird to the vet and frame it in the way do you want that bird to suffer?

Old 11-14-2019, 01:48 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Unfortunately I am not in a financial situation to take the bird to the vet. The metal band is somewhat loose. It can go up and down. It may have snagged it though or somehow it irritated that leg.

I can't control my father's action. All I can do is suggest to him that he think about taking the bird to the vet and frame it in the way do you want that bird to suffer?
YOU don't have to take the bird. Find someone who can. Check with a local humane society/animal shelter. They could probably get it the vet care it desperately needs. Or, check for a pet shop that carries birds. They may know a local breeder who might be able to remove the leg band. Ask a vet if they can at least remove the band.

Old 11-14-2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:

Sure, ask your dad but, there are other ways to get the bird help. If you’re on Facebook, type in the city you live in, followed by local bird groups. A few should pop up. If you’re asked to join the group, do that, and once you’re in, ask the group members for advise.

The suggestion to go a shelter or breeder is also a good idea. The thing is, you can find people willing to help your bird, but you have to ask around.

Old 11-15-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
YOU don't have to take the bird. Find someone who can. Check with a local humane society/animal shelter. They could probably get it the vet care it desperately needs. Or, check for a pet shop that carries birds. They may know a local breeder who might be able to remove the leg band. Ask a vet if they can at least remove the band.
I can ask them!

Old 11-17-2019, 01:46 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,508,467 times
Can you not try to rehome Eago?

If I lived near you, I would take him in a heartbeat; DH and I love birds, especially cockatiels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds