U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2008, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 4,373 times

Advertisements

I've read that both my lovebird & parakeet should be fed more than just seed. I put bits of fresh lettuce, blueberries, strawberries, carrots, etc in the bird cages but it doesn't appear that they are eating them. I've tried showing them by eating bits of theirs but still no interest. Any ideas?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 04:28 PM

16,482 posts, read 22,396,628 times
That is not uncommon at all and they may never eat fresh foods. It tends to be the larger parrots that do more of that anyway. You can try to grow some of their seed and see. If they were not raised with it from the beginning they simply may never take a liking to it.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:56 PM

8,204 posts, read 33,293,687 times
You can try to make them forage. Let them see you put their favorite food underneath the veggies you want then to eat. They will have to use their beaks to move the stuff they don't want out of the way to get to what they do want...they'll have to forage .

Eventually, they'll become familiar enough with the veggies, they might start to taste them a bit and being to consider them as food too.

Another thing I do is when I eat a veggie I want them to try, I go "mmmmmm!" like the veggie is the most delicious thing I've ever eaten...I put on quite a show . Parrots, even the tiny parrots like your lovebird, get excited when someone else is excited so it's easy to get them interested if you make a lot of noise about something .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds