U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2020, 08:44 AM

422 posts, read 123,200 times

Advertisements

I have a bird feeder in my backyard and a dome that protects it from the rain. The bird feeding station also comes with a small bowl that goes on the bottom but it cannot be protected by the rain so many times I have to throw away the bird seeds since the birds don't eat it when the food is wet. I bought a tray that is non toxic and put it under the porch but then some of that food gets on the cement. What can I use to put under this tray that is safe and non toxic? I read that even cardboard boxes are toxic. What about a big rug? Are rugs toxic too if the birds eat from it? This would mean they might end up eating the yarn from the rug too...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2020, 03:18 PM

12,928 posts, read 6,444,509 times
Why is seed on the cement a problem? Just sweep it off. What about putting a large plastic door mat underneath the feeder? Just shake the seeds off of it occasionally. Many rugs left outdoors will rot (mold/mildew are toxic to birds) if they get damp and contain any natural fibers.

Old 02-17-2020, 01:22 AM

45,035 posts, read 64,408,876 times
Buy suet cakes for them. The seeds are immersed into a lard and don't get wet during the rain. Birds love it.

To save money you could make some at home (I do). Just mix the seed mix into lard, cool in the fridge to solidify and place in the feeder. Easy.

https://youtu.be/GXgAfecXo28
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 02-17-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Why is seed on the cement a problem? Just sweep it off. What about putting a large plastic door mat underneath the feeder? Just shake the seeds off of it occasionally. Many rugs left outdoors will rot (mold/mildew are toxic to birds) if they get damp and contain any natural fibers.
1. Wind blows it and gives me more work.
2. The birds crap on the cement.

Old 02-17-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Buy suet cakes for them. The seeds are immersed into a lard and don't get wet during the rain. Birds love it.

To save money you could make some at home (I do). Just mix the seed mix into lard, cool in the fridge to solidify and place in the feeder. Easy.

https://youtu.be/GXgAfecXo28
The bird food is on small bowls that came with bird feeder. Those bowls are on top of the tray so wind can't blow it. I need something to put under it.

Old 02-17-2020, 01:11 PM

906 posts, read 322,691 times
an old golf umbrella ..

or a plastic salad bowl
bilagaana -- How to Make a Cheap Bird Feeder Rain Shield

Old 02-17-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzui View Post
1. Wind blows it and gives me more work.
2. The birds crap on the cement.
Well, there's a trade off here. If you attract seed eating birds to feeders you are going to have some clean up. If this creates such a problem for you don't feed them! No more seed, no more crap. I'm sure there's plenty of other food in the neighborhood. If you like birds around there are other ways to encourage them. Provide reliable clean water, plant perennial shrubs that offer shelter, nesting sites, berry, nectar, or flower food instead of seed.

It always amazes me how poorly designed many bird feeders are right out of the box.

Old 02-17-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
an old golf umbrella ..

or a plastic salad bowl
bilagaana -- How to Make a Cheap Bird Feeder Rain Shield

Some of these seed trays might give you some DIY ideas. Hang a Hula hoop with windowscreen glued across it to catch the seed? Water drains helping to keep the seed drier.

https://www.duncraft.com/index/page/...ders/?view_all

There is a larger tough as nails "squirrel baffle" available for hanging feeders that keeps a larger area underneath dry, but if you get much wind it will get tossed around a lot! We get a lot of rain and snow here so I like the size aspect. No way something as flimsy as an umbrella would stand up to our weather. However, whenever the forecast predicts anything but a breeze I end up taking it down. Acts as a pretty efficient wind sail that has "helped" my expensive tube feeders self destruct a number of times. It clanks, bangs, and knocks itself against the hanging pole too. The dome style guards work their way loose, fall, and break.

https://www.duncraft.com/XL-Hanging-Squirrel-Baffle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds