U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2020, 07:14 PM

2,893 posts, read 641,140 times

Advertisements

I have three hand-raised lovebirds that are now a year old (all hatched from the same clutch of eggs). They're very tame and affectionate, and fly to me to eat out of my hand. One of them, though, occasionally gets aggressive. Today, she gave me a bite that actually drew blood!
Any suggestions on how to put a stop to this behavior? I've tried not to react when this particular bird gets aggressive, but that doesn't seem to be working. I'm not even sure if that's what I'm supposed to do.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2020, 09:17 PM

4,532 posts, read 7,280,743 times
I suspect that the one who bit you is being protective of the others. Not at all unusual. Not much you can do to change the behavior as it is natural instinct. I suspect the biter is male and the other 2 are female based on your description of the event. Lovebirds mature very quickly and that would explain the new behavior. Keep a close eye on them in the event that the dominant one become aggressive with the others.

Old 07-05-2020, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I suspect that the one who bit you is being protective of the others. Not at all unusual. Not much you can do to change the behavior as it is natural instinct. I suspect the biter is male and the other 2 are female based on your description of the event. Lovebirds mature very quickly and that would explain the new behavior. Keep a close eye on them in the event that the dominant one become aggressive with the others.
Thanks for responding! The other two birds are actually protective of me, and they tend to chase away the one who bites. I'm seriously thinking of re-homing the biter, in hopes that his/her behavior might improve if not with other birds and more dependent on a human companion. But it would make me very sad to have to re-home one of my birds.

Old 07-05-2020, 10:53 PM

I agree that the other two birds sound like they are bonded to you. Sometimes separation is the best option. I just had to rehome my 2 Amazon parrots as they were becoming a nuisance with my neighbors about 2 months ago. I hated to do it, since they were incubate-hatched and hand-fed from day 1. I feel your pain.

Old 07-06-2020, 03:25 AM

Quote:
I agree that the other two birds sound like they are bonded to you. Sometimes separation is the best option. I just had to rehome my 2 Amazon parrots as they were becoming a nuisance with my neighbors about 2 months ago. I hated to do it, since they were incubate-hatched and hand-fed from day 1. I feel your pain.
I'm so sorry about your Amazon parrots. Did you go through a rescue organization to re-home them? I think you might have mentioned something about a parrot rescue organization in a previous post awhile back, but I'm sorry I don't remember the details.

As you know, I've got a bird sitting on five eggs right now. I don't want to sell my birds if I can't keep them. I just want to find them good homes, if it has to come to that. It's breaking my heart.

Old 07-06-2020, 09:43 AM

When I rehomed my Amazons I poste a local classified and when the new owner called, I asked for references who I contacted to make certain they would go to a good home. The new owner checked out with flying colors in this case. If you don't want to sell them, try to find good homes with people you trust.

Old 07-06-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
When I rehomed my Amazons I poste a local classified and when the new owner called, I asked for references who I contacted to make certain they would go to a good home. The new owner checked out with flying colors in this case. If you don't want to sell them, try to find good homes with people you trust.
Good advice (as always from you). I'll have to think on it. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds