Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 11:41 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,193 times

Advertisements

I now have 13 lovebirds, 7 of which I've hand-raised. I don't plan to give any of them away, so I've got to start thinking about their future with me.

Right now I have them spread out among six large birdcages, and I've been considering having an aviary built for them.

I figure if I build an outdoor aviary, I'd need some way to heat it during the cold months here in New York. But what I'd really like is a combination indoor/outdoor aviary, so that my birds will still be with me indoors most of the time, but able to safely go outdoors for fresh air and a different environment to experience. But I don't know how an indoor/outdoor aviary might work -- is it something that has access through a window in the house, like what some people have for their cats?

These birds give me absolute, indescribable joy, so I'm willing to do whatever it takes to be able to comfortably keep them -- both for me as well as for them.

Any suggestions on aviaries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2020, 12:32 PM

6,476 posts, read 10,347,099 times
Rachel, from my experience it does get down to the occasional teens during the winter here in North FL. My lovebirds were kept in cages within screen enclosures with plastic roofs. I never had to take my adult birds in during the winter but I would attach rolled plastic (like you buy to protect plants with when it freezes) to the outside of the screened walls to prevent cold wind gusts. I don't know what type of porch or covered area you may have up there in NY. Afraid I don't have any pictures to share, but I will help you with advice if you need any help in the overall design/implementation.

Old 08-15-2020, 01:53 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,556,355 times
Here's an excellent article that may help you Rachel

https://www.parrots.org/ask-an-exper...-aviary-design

The first picture on this link shows where a small window is utilized to allow entrance to the house.

https://projectjackfruit.com/small-b...iary-for-sale/

Old 08-15-2020, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Rachel, from my experience it does get down to the occasional teens during the winter here in North FL. My lovebirds were kept in cages within screen enclosures with plastic roofs. I never had to take my adult birds in during the winter but I would attach rolled plastic (like you buy to protect plants with when it freezes) to the outside of the screened walls to prevent cold wind gusts. I don't know what type of porch or covered area you may have up there in NY. Afraid I don't have any pictures to share, but I will help you with advice if you need any help in the overall design/implementation.
Thanks for any and all advice! I don't have a porch or covered area that I could use -- if I go for an outdoor aviary it would have to be free standing, with electricity run from the house to warm it. I'm thinking more and more that this might not work. I don't mind having all the cages in my kitchen/dining area -- it's a pretty big area and the cages are all in front of a double window.

I'll give this some more thought and maybe bring it up with you again. You're a good friend, Tom!

Old 08-15-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Here's an excellent article that may help you Rachel

https://www.parrots.org/ask-an-exper...-aviary-design

The first picture on this link shows where a small window is utilized to allow entrance to the house.

https://projectjackfruit.com/small-b...iary-for-sale/
Thanks for those links, TerraDown! Some of those aviaries are really gorgeous! I can easily picture having a hot tub in there and relaxing with a glass of wine while my birds fly all around like a tropical rainbow! LOL

Old 08-20-2020, 09:42 PM

6 posts, read 6,367 times
Wow Rachel you hand raised 7??

Wow you have a real talent for handling/caring for nature,one that is not easy to come by!

Good for you

Old 08-20-2020, 11:18 PM

6,476 posts, read 10,347,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarskn View Post
Wow Rachel you hand raised 7??

Wow you have a real talent for handling/caring for nature,one that is not easy to come by!

Good for you
Rachel had a crash course in handfeeding and passed with "flying colors" (pun intended). Necessity is the mother of all invention. Seriously, nothing like having a crisis to force you to learn how to do it.

Old 08-21-2020, 01:27 AM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Thanks for any and all advice! I don't have a porch or covered area that I could use -- if I go for an outdoor aviary it would have to be free standing, with electricity run from the house to warm it. I'm thinking more and more that this might not work. I don't mind having all the cages in my kitchen/dining area -- it's a pretty big area and the cages are all in front of a double window.

I'll give this some more thought and maybe bring it up with you again. You're a good friend, Tom!
Heat isn't the only potential problem in winter. You'd have to build it to withstand ice/snow loading. That means some serious structure!

Old 08-22-2020, 10:23 AM

7 posts, read 2,746 times
Yup and today its hard to find GOOD quality....... (If you get something made well you are quite lucky)

Old 09-11-2020, 04:31 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
We are building an indoor/outdoor aviary with a pipe that goes through the wall so the birds can come or go as they please. When it gets cold, we will stuff a sock int he pipe. It will have a closable screen to keep bugs out at night. We will see how it works. Worst case we remove it and have to patch a hole in the wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds