U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 12:44 PM

27,070 posts, read 26,395,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Nutriberries are a mix of pellets and seeds which are pressed together to form a ball. A lot of people find them useful in transitioning birds to pellets, because it’s pretty much impossible for a bird eat a Nutriberriy and NOT consume at least a few of the pellets in the process.
Oh, great, then its not a total failure.....so how many a day shall I give him? shall I also include his seed?

Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2020, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Millet someone told me is sweet so it’s tasty. Giz might not be very vocal cuz it’s a girl. They are quieter. Have you tried a spritzing water from a stay bottle yet for his bird bath. Looks so pretty when they spread their wings to enjoy
Yes I've spritzed him still leary of everything. But I've got him sitting on my finger and practicing step up. Likes to try and bite me. WHEN HE DOES, I blow at him.

I WAS SINGING TO HIM TONIGHT while he was on my finger and while grooming he'd stop look at me and Bob his head just a little. I Play the cockatiels singing and whistling for him during the day.

GOT THE AIR PURIFIER THID LATE Afternoon so we'll see.

HAVE A GREAT EVENING.

Old 09-19-2020, 10:01 PM

1,191 posts, read 395,615 times
where do parakeets go after they escape from the house?
I lost two,never see them again,did they die or strive in the wild?

Old 09-20-2020, 03:45 AM

4,550 posts, read 7,319,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
where do parakeets go after they escape from the house?
I lost two,never see them again,did they die or strive in the wild?
Generally, many are killed by natural predators or starve due to unfamiliarity of their environment. Not to say that some don't learn to adapt or return to their owners.

Old 09-20-2020, 09:56 AM

15,021 posts, read 16,048,176 times
Keep at it. Glad he’s on your finger. The biting thing is what I worried about that tells me it’s been awhile since he was handled daily. Blowing is a great idea.

Old 09-20-2020, 02:18 PM

26,207 posts, read 34,835,073 times
I don't think parakeets are difficult to train. A little attention and some kindness is all it takes. They are beautiful and will happily sit on your finger and they can learn to talk.

However, to me, a cockatiel gets much more human oriented and more strongly bonded... which means you should not get a cockatiel unless you have time to spend on it. They need attention.

Old 09-20-2020, 03:42 PM

Can you explain to me what kind of attention and for how long.

I bought him a little play ground, so I bring him out on my finger for while then place him on his play ground, Let him there for 30 minutes then put him on my finger again and talk to him for Bout 15 minutes then back in his cage. Then again before bed time. ?????? Any other suggestions.

Tried to take him in the kitchen to get him used to the sink and it scared him. Will keep trying as I want him to get used to water.

Old 09-20-2020, 03:45 PM

He is also chirping and whistling more, finding his voice, lol

Old 09-20-2020, 04:56 PM

15,021 posts, read 16,048,176 times
You’re doing great. Attention as in time spent you are doing that. Some people get birds and never interact. In that case get two. I would put him on your shoulder and walk around a bit. The only thing that should really scare him are loud noises. sit with him on your shoulders if your allergies allow. Any Fear is momentarily and gone as quickly. so don’t let it stop you from him getting used to house noises.

Put him on his perch on his playpen or on top of his cage and spritz water above him like a light misting rain. Do that everyday and by the end of the week he’ll be opening his wings and taking a bath. The only water mine experienced was from the rain spray water bottle and the water dish.

Old 09-21-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
You’re doing great. Attention as in time spent you are doing that. Some people get birds and never interact. In that case get two. I would put him on your shoulder and walk around a bit. The only thing that should really scare him are loud noises. sit with him on your shoulders if your allergies allow. Any Fear is momentarily and gone as quickly. so don’t let it stop you from him getting used to house noises.

Put him on his perch on his playpen or on top of his cage and spritz water above him like a light misting rain. Do that everyday and by the end of the week he’ll be opening his wings and taking a bath. The only water mine experienced was from the rain spray water bottle and the water dish.
Oh thank you, I will try that....

thanks a bunch.....

he's not trying to bite me as much....my son and grand daughter came over and put him on his play pen, he was a big weary, but stepped onto my sons finger....he's so cute....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds