U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 03:48 PM

27,070 posts, read 26,399,661 times

Advertisements

Good Day to you all....

Giz loves his little play pen I got him....he loves to sit on it for a while....then he plays on the ladders and with the toy hanging from it, but has yet to venture onto the swing.....lol

I've been able to walk him out in the kitchen, turn the spigot water on and show him the whole idea of bathing, however, he has yet to take a bath....

I run warm water slowly, put a dish in the sink over the drain and let it fill and he is curious about it...then I put my whole arm down in it resting my hand in the dish so he realizes he has an escape route if need be. Today he climbed onto my shoulder and took it all in.

I take him out 3 times a day or more just to give him exercise. He is flying a bit...and he loves to stretch his wings....

He picks a lot at his feathers....and grooms himself.

But I cannot get this bird to eat veggies and greens....Geeze Louise, I've tried everything.....

He still isn't fond of his nut berries but will pick at them if he has nothing else.

I cooked a sweet potato today and gave him carrots and parsley... Nothing, he won't eat it...Oh and I put cut up hard boiled eggs and some shell in that dish as well....

He is really picky
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
You’re doing great. Attention as in time spent you are doing that. Some people get birds and never interact. In that case get two. I would put him on your shoulder and walk around a bit. The only thing that should really scare him are loud noises. sit with him on your shoulders if your allergies allow. Any Fear is momentarily and gone as quickly. so don’t let it stop you from him getting used to house noises.

Put him on his perch on his playpen or on top of his cage and spritz water above him like a light misting rain. Do that everyday and by the end of the week he’ll be opening his wings and taking a bath. The only water mine experienced was from the rain spray water bottle and the water dish.
\

thanks, I will start doing this every morning...after his breakfast when he comes out of his cage and sits on top...

He loves his play pen.....lol

oh, btw he is doing step up quite well now...yesterday he was in a frumpy mood....and tried biting me...he was tired didn't eat much, and I was a little worried but today he is back to his normal curious self....maybe the weather had him down....

I try to give him 10 to 12 hours of sleep a night...also cover him up...at night.

I really love this bird.....lol

Allergies are much better since I purchased an air purifier, however, I've been pulling my hair out trying to find a replacement filter for it....

I'm going to a pulmonologist in a week....I think next Friday....I'm thinking maybe he can give me some meds that will help the lungs....but I highly recommend an air purifier to anyone with any allergies...wow, what a difference.

Old 09-24-2020, 07:50 PM

15,024 posts, read 16,053,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
\

thanks, I will start doing this every morning...after his breakfast when he comes out of his cage and sits on top...

He loves his play pen.....lol

oh, btw he is doing step up quite well now...yesterday he was in a frumpy mood....and tried biting me...he was tired didn't eat much, and I was a little worried but today he is back to his normal curious self....maybe the weather had him down....

I try to give him 10 to 12 hours of sleep a night...also cover him up...at night.

I really love this bird.....lol

Allergies are much better since I purchased an air purifier, however, I've been pulling my hair out trying to find a replacement filter for it....

I'm going to a pulmonologist in a week....I think next Friday....I'm thinking maybe he can give me some meds that will help the lungs....but I highly recommend an air purifier to anyone with any allergies...wow, what a difference.
Sounds like you two are settling in. Some birds might not like fruit or vegetables I’m thinking as long as you have good quality seed he’ll be fine. How fun he likes his playpen. You’re a great bird mom to notice the subtleties of his behavior.

Old 09-24-2020, 07:55 PM

15,024 posts, read 16,053,262 times
Whistle for him as much as possible. Several times a day. like the wolf whistle or the call to the races. It may teach him to repeat the whistle. If memory serves. I followed a book’s advice for training to talk. I played a recording of my whistle and voice. At night when I covered him I turned it on. In short order “Seahawk” would call the cat.... here kitty kitty. Do call to the races.

Old 09-25-2020, 09:40 AM

9,297 posts, read 5,544,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
But I cannot get this bird to eat veggies and greens....Geeze Louise, I've tried everything.....

He still isn't fond of his nut berries but will pick at them if he has nothing else.

I cooked a sweet potato today and gave him carrots and parsley... Nothing, he won't eat it...Oh and I put cut up hard boiled eggs and some shell in that dish as well....

He is really picky
Don't be discouraged, that's typical of birds. He may turn his beak up 100 times, only to decide on time 101 that you're not trying to poison him and give the food a nibble. You have to be persistent and VERY patient.

Giz may also become more interested in veggies and greens if he sees you eating them. After all, whatever YOU'RE eating must be delicious! (Anyone who's ever owned a dog knows the drill - whatever's on your plate is much better than what you've put in the dog's bowl, even if it's exactly the same food.) Try making up a small plate of whatever you want him to try (sweet potato, kale, whatever), set him next to the plate and let him watch you sample the delicious goodies. (Just don't let him touch any part that your fork has touched, or eat from your lips - because your mouth contains bacteria that can be dangerous to birds.)

Old 09-25-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Don't be discouraged, that's typical of birds. He may turn his beak up 100 times, only to decide on time 101 that you're not trying to poison him and give the food a nibble. You have to be persistent and VERY patient.

Giz may also become more interested in veggies and greens if he sees you eating them. After all, whatever YOU'RE eating must be delicious! (Anyone who's ever owned a dog knows the drill - whatever's on your plate is much better than what you've put in the dog's bowl, even if it's exactly the same food.) Try making up a small plate of whatever you want him to try (sweet potato, kale, whatever), set him next to the plate and let him watch you sample the delicious goodies. (Just don't let him touch any part that your fork has touched, or eat from your lips - because your mouth contains bacteria that can be dangerous to birds.)
LOL, I sometimes sit in front of his cage and eat.....lol....

also, last night had an idea....I took a bunch of veggies, and threw them in the food processer, and blended them up into small pieces and put a few in his dish with seed underneath, so he has to forage for the seed...lol might work, might not, but I"m not giving up....

and yes, I've bought some seed and other things, like cockatiel nutraberries, Kaytee Fiesta Food mixed with some other kind of seed, along with Millet, that is always hanging in his cage, and a fruit stick, which he likes to work on from time to time....but I'd feel better if he ate some of the veggie mix, and I've told him so. LOL

I'll keep trying....

and thank you to everyone....very much like suggestions to try....

Oh and I do spritz him every morning with water, we are working our way into the kitchen sink while the water is running, he is curious...but not ready to try it....and he does fly some....

Old 09-25-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Whistle for him as much as possible. Several times a day. like the wolf whistle or the call to the races. It may teach him to repeat the whistle. If memory serves. I followed a book’s advice for training to talk. I played a recording of my whistle and voice. At night when I covered him I turned it on. In short order “Seahawk” would call the cat.... here kitty kitty. Do call to the races.
I talk to him alot, matter of fact, I bet he says, "geeze louise????" "Will someone shut this old crazy lady up"????

and we all whistle, he did the cat call the other day while on his play pen, and he's getting so much friskier with the play pen, fun to watch him....he loves to unhook the toy and throw it down, and pull the ladder back and forth to walk up and down....he also likes to sit there and become more vocal....more so then when in his cage.

Its fun to watch him, he almost turns upside down on the perches. I try to get him out of his cage 3 or 4 times a day, he sits on my finger and I talk to him....and then I put him on his perch, and if he doesn't want to go back in his cage afterwards he will fly on top of it and sit there for awhile....and I let him....but never leave him alone in the room when I'm not there, afraid he might get into trouble.

Old 09-25-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
sounds like you're figuring it out.

One thing I remember: when pet food stores get _fresh_ spray millet still on the stalk, that is like super-candy to the birds (nuts and seeds have a lot of tasty fat). I would wrap the spray millet with a giant red lettuce leaf (rinse it and leave it wet) and I would attach that to the cage wall with twisty-tie. They tore that up. They loved carrots, too. They made a mess of orange sawdust doing it.

In the old days when newspaper was plentiful, and I had one strange bird that liked to shred the newspaper/comic section into ribbons. So in time, your bird will show you what he or she thinks is fun.

I dont think the gender of your bird "matters" if you dont intend to breed it. I tended to change their name once they matured and clearly showed their sex.
I bought him a play yard type thing and put it together and placed it across the room, he loves it...loves to sit on the perch and move the ladder back and forth and there is a toy and swing on it, he really enjoys picking at the toy, and holding on with his feet and leaning forward while spreading his wings....very comical. He hisses at me if he doesn't want to do something...but eventually submits....I don't let him win.

Old 09-26-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
where do parakeets go after they escape from the house?
I lost two,never see them again,did they die or strive in the wild?
I've read that if you put their cage outside, close to the house, right after they fly away, that sometimes, they come back because its familiar to them...leave the cage door open....and just set the cage outside for a while....

Good Luck, sorry to read this...

Old 09-26-2020, 11:19 AM

Update

So Sat. is cage cleaning morning right after he eats....I put two cups of white vinegar in 1 gal of water and wipe the entire cage down inside and out, then spray it down with mite spray for birds.

Then while the cage is drying I clean everything inside the cage, toys and everything, and swap everything out for clean perches and toys that are dry. I use very hot water....no soap...

all the while he was on his play pen, loves to sit there, and then on the top of his cage when it was all clean.

I'm taking him out in the kitchen and he is still a little nervous....trying to get him used to the sink and water, but do spritz him a little in the morning while he is sitting on top of his cage.

really think he is a she, as he is not very vocal....

I have also chopped up all kinds of veggies in the food processor and mix a little in with his seeds and believe he is eating it, somewhat, b/c his stools look better. Also mix in sweet potato with it....

I was allowing the millet to hang in his cage, but took that out as I've read too much millet is not good.

Also had a honey stick in there that he worked over pretty good, will put another in tomorrow maybe?

He is fun....and getting more of a personality...but very quiet....?

Preening a whole lot...love to watch him run his tail feathers thru his mouth to clean them....lol

Kids came over for dinner this past week and my daughter in law sat by his cage for a while, Giz didn't seem to mind them at all....then after dinner, took Giz out of cage and left him sit by the kids on his play pen....he seemed very comfortable with them, as long as there were no quick movements.

I've allowed him to sit on my shoulder a bit...not much b/c I've read it makes them feel like the leader and you don't want them to feel that way? So, I'm not sure about that...as opinions differ on the subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds