U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2020, 03:48 PM

15,014 posts, read 16,043,253 times

Advertisements

Sounds like he is setting in and has a fun personality Remember they have a bird size brain. Not much thinking only instinct. I doubt they can feel superior. They are a flight animal so more afraid of us. His hissing and a bite is their only defense. My birds we’re always on my shoulders and never acted boss. Mine was never near running sink water lol that would worry me for accidents so i spritz them or just a shallow bird bath dish on top of cage.
The hissing I stopped by touching their beak. This was a big reason I suggested wearing a ring or wrapping something around your fingers. They are more curious than fearful and want to pick at it with beak. Giving you opportunity to pet his head one fingered, this is two fold beneficial. It reassured my hands don’t hurt no need to hiss when they come near. Secondly they learn to love having head scratched. soon they bend their heads down to you so you can pet them. They are not being handled enough if she hissing your instinct is right not to let the bird win. It’s been very long since I’ve had practical experiences but for sure google and YouTube ways to overcome the hissing. Sounds like you got a good one
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2020, 12:07 PM

27,070 posts, read 26,389,702 times
sorry to say, allergies got the best of me, and without going into much detail....had to take the bird back....it was a sad day....heartbreaking....as I was leaving him at the pet shop, he chirrped loudly for me....it was very hard.

We were really bonding....

cockatiels are very smart birds....he was progressing so well....cute little thing and funny, loved his play pen

I will admit, feel a lot better.....

Last edited by cremebrulee; 09-30-2020 at 12:23 PM..

Old 09-30-2020, 01:29 PM

9,290 posts, read 5,531,682 times
Sometimes allergies leave us no choice in the matter. If you body was saying NO!, it was best for everyone involved to rehome Griz before he/she got even more attached to you.

Old 09-30-2020, 02:54 PM

4,549 posts, read 7,309,744 times
Sorry to hear you had to give him/her up, but your health takes precedence in this case. I wish you and yours the best and I am sure the cockatiel will find a new family soon.

Old 09-30-2020, 05:07 PM

15,014 posts, read 16,043,253 times
You gave it a great try.

Old 09-30-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Sometimes allergies leave us no choice in the matter. If you body was saying NO!, it was best for everyone involved to rehome Griz before he/she got even more attached to you.
I went to the doctor yesterday, he told me, I had to get rid of the bird, that birds are loaded with dander....it was so bad I could hardly talk without coughing....

I came home and called the pet shop, they took him back and refunded all my money, wasn't that nice....?

I miss him but know it's for the best...came home, washed and disinfected the cage, washed everything inside and am selling the cage, all the perches, toys, cuttlebone holder, etc....the cage came with a cape, black with magnets on the top...

thanks to everyone for all your help, suggestions and advice...greatly appreciated you all...believe it or not, your all the reason why we were doing so well....I did learn a lot...shame he had to go back, but I'm sure he'll get a nice home....I know he was young, b/c they had some full grown cockatiels there this time, and I was surprised at how small Giz was.....

I hope like anything someone really loves him....

Old 10-05-2020, 09:35 PM

3,650 posts, read 3,146,658 times
Aww, Creme. I’m sorry.

Old 10-09-2020, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Aww, Creme. I’m sorry.
thanks.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds