U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2020, 09:48 PM

27,070 posts, read 26,389,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
^^^A nice compromise is to clip off just 1/8-1/4" off of the first 3-4 primaries on each wing (same length removed from each feather, on both sides, of course). That way the bird can flap around a bit in the room, but can't really build up enough speed and lift to fly into serious trouble.

Oh, and OP, if you have Teflon cookware, get rid of it NOW!!! When Teflon overheats, it breaks down and releases a toxic gas that are absolutely deadly to birds. You will also want to give up the use of scented candles and plug-in air fresheners. If you have a self-cleaning oven, use the self-cleaning cycle only in the summer months when you can keep all the windows open, and be very careful with other cleaning products that may generate fumes. Needless to say, if you plan on repainting any rooms, the birds need to be elsewhere until the paint has thoroughly dried and the room has been aired out. Birds are extremely sensitive to fumes of all sorts.
I've read that birds are also vulnerable to the smell of your oven cleaning itself? I'm wondering if I can put the cage in another room, while cleaning my oven? Its a self cleaning oven but the smell lasts a long time.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2020, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Glad you brought that up. I learned about the hazards of Teflon and birds the hard way in the 1990's. We had an external nursery building for our bird farm that we bought a new space heater to keep warm. At the time, the hazards of Teflon were not well known and we were not aware that many new heaters have the heating coils coated in Teflon. We plugged in the heater in the building with at least a dozen or more baby birds that were all dead within 30 minutes. The manufacturer denied any defect and we did not have the assets to consult an attorney. That was a tough lesson learned.
Oh boy, I do have a Teflon pan and use it alot but it doesn't overheat to my knowledge?

I'm very sorry this happened to you, I know how badly you must have felt....so sorry.

Old 09-12-2020, 09:54 PM

I have another Question,

The bird I'm getting is young, and I read they need a lot of sleep....my schedule is that I generally go to bed between 11 & 12 p.m. and wake up around 7 a.m. - 7:30 a.m.?

When should I cover the bird? And will the TV disturb the bird?

Reason I ask is, I sleep in the living room right now, due to a medical problem....and leave the TV on most times?

Will that have to stop?

What Veggies can I feed the bird and what fruits....and how much....I've seen that most fruits they love along with bananas, so I thought I'd buy dried fruit and fresh cut up fruit...water melon, cantelope, and other fruit and give the bird some, but how much and how often?

Old 09-13-2020, 03:48 AM

4,549 posts, read 7,313,736 times
The biggest issue with some dried fruit is added sugar which is not healthy for birds, and probably for you as well. Fresh fruits are much more healthy and nutritious. Most prepared table food has too much salt. Occasional table threats are OK in small amounts, just don't make it a major part of their diet. My suggestion for good vegetables include greens (lettuce, collared, cabbage, etc), squash, cucumbers, carrots, grapes, bananas and many others. Don't let uneaten food sit around for too long (several days), or it can go bad and make you bird sick. Don't hesitate to ask if you are uncertain or if you have other general questions. Best wishes.

Old 09-13-2020, 04:03 AM

Quote:
The biggest issue with some dried fruit is added sugar which is not healthy for birds, and probably for you as well. Fresh fruits are much more healthy and nutritious. Most prepared table food has too much salt. Occasional table threats are OK in small amounts, just don't make it a major part of their diet. My suggestion for good vegetables include greens (lettuce, collared, cabbage, etc), squash, cucumbers, carrots, grapes, bananas and many others. Don't let uneaten food sit around for too long (several days), or it can go bad and make you bird sick. Don't hesitate to ask if you are uncertain or if you have other general questions. Best wishes.
Canucks pleSereviw my last set of questions ty

Old 09-13-2020, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Can u please review my last set of questions ty

Old 09-13-2020, 08:42 AM

9,290 posts, read 5,534,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I've read that birds are also vulnerable to the smell of your oven cleaning itself? I'm wondering if I can put the cage in another room, while cleaning my oven? Its a self cleaning oven but the smell lasts a long time.
Yes, self-cleaning ovens can create fumes that are dangerous to birds. Only use the self-cleaning feature when you can keep the windows open to ventilate your house (and yes, keep the bird in another room while the oven is cycling). In general, kitchens are not a good place to keep your bird’s cage, not just because of cooking fumes but because of too many other hazards (hot burners, pots of boiling water, deep water in sinks, etc.)

Quote:
Oh boy, I do have a Teflon pan and use it alot but it doesn't overheat to my knowledge?
If you value the life of your bird, you’ll retire that pan. It’s simply not safe to use it, no matter how careful you are.

Quote:
I have another Question,

The bird I'm getting is young, and I read they need a lot of sleep....my schedule is that I generally go to bed between 11 & 12 p.m. and wake up around 7 a.m. - 7:30 a.m.?

When should I cover the bird? And will the TV disturb the bird?

Reason I ask is, I sleep in the living room right now, due to a medical problem....and leave the TV on most times?

Will that have to stop?
I’d uncover the cage around 8AM, and cover it around 8 PM. The TV noise can disturb your bird’s sleep if it’s loud. One thing you might consider is having the main cage in the living room and a small “sleep cage” in a bedroom or other quiet room. Then Birdie’s sleep won’t be disturbed by your after-dark activities.

Quote:
What Veggies can I feed the bird and what fruits....and how much....I've seen that most fruits they love along with bananas, so I thought I'd buy dried fruit and fresh cut up fruit...water melon, cantelope, and other fruit and give the bird some, but how much and how often?
I use one of those pre-shredded salad mixes as the base, as it’s super convenient. (I get the ones with kale or shredded Brussels sprouts.) Then I add some chopped fruits (berries, kiwi fruit, apples, pears, melon, etc. - whatever looked good at the grocery that week) and a bit of chopped non-salted nuts (walnuts, almond, pecans, etc.). I half-fill a feeding dish, and swap the dish out daily. Make sure the greens are the bulk of what’s in the dish, with the fruits being a smaller component and the nuts being only a tiny sprinkling, and you’ll be fine.

Old 09-13-2020, 09:09 AM

1,191 posts, read 393,139 times
why clip their wings?and keep them caged all day.
Parakeets may look tiny,but the noise it makes and the swiftness it flies away from you is astonishing.
as to training,it is not that easy,you have to gain its trust and it has a mind of its own.
You can go to Youtube,there is this guy who has many,and they all cuddle up to him,but in reality,it is not that easy.
Their droppings are not difficult to wipe off,I would not cage them 24/7,they are made to fly around,they also like music,watch TV and sing along .
No one mention water,it needs fresh water daily,those so called cheap plastic cages are not that bad,you can take it apart and hose them easily.
They all have personality and their intelligence vary,some may bond with you,some may not like you or trust you,it would take time to find out and they dont eat all the fresh food,depends on what they are used to

Old 09-13-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Aredhel

I use one of those pre-shredded salad mixes as the base, as it’s super convenient. (I get the ones with kale or shredded Brussels sprouts.) Then I add some chopped fruits (berries, kiwi fruit, apples, pears, melon, etc. - whatever looked good at the grocery that week) and a bit of chopped non-salted nuts (walnuts, almond, pecans, etc.). I half-fill a feeding dish, and swap the dish out daily. Make sure the greens are the bulk of what’s in the dish, with the fruits being a smaller component and the nuts being only a tiny sprinkling, and you’ll be fine.
So do you feed bird seed along with that? and if so, how much?

Old 09-13-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
why clip their wings?and keep them caged all day.
Parakeets may look tiny,but the noise it makes and the swiftness it flies away from you is astonishing.
as to training,it is not that easy,you have to gain its trust and it has a mind of its own.
You can go to Youtube,there is this guy who has many,and they all cuddle up to him,but in reality,it is not that easy.
Their droppings are not difficult to wipe off,I would not cage them 24/7,they are made to fly around,they also like music,watch TV and sing along .
No one mention water,it needs fresh water daily,those so called cheap plastic cages are not that bad,you can take it apart and hose them easily.
They all have personality and their intelligence vary,some may bond with you,some may not like you or trust you,it would take time to find out and they dont eat all the fresh food,depends on what they are used to
I'm getting a cockatiel....

thanks a bunch though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds