U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 07:03 AM

27,070 posts, read 26,345,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Just curious is he old enough to be eating entirely on his own or his he still getting 1 or more hand feeding per day ? Hand fed birds, even if already weaned, tend to become very attached to their owners and that is a good thing. Don't give up trying to interact with him, even if you don't take him out of the cage yet. Best wishes.
he is 3 months old or better and was eating on his own in the pet store....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2020, 07:11 AM

Quote:
SUPbud

For diet, I recommend the widest variety you can provide, that stimulates the birds' mind as well - same as variety of toys and climbing apparatus + perches.
I bought two kinds of Bird Seed, and mixed them, one is Kaylee Fiesta....I plan on going to the store and getting some apples, a kiwi, banana and nuts

Quote:
1 bird = it will be dependant on you for stimulation and play and more inclined to learn how to talk or whistle. My dad had a signature whistle he used to feed the dogs, eventually the cockatiel was an impressive mimic - much to the irritation of the dogs.
Covered him up last night with a pretty black magnetic cape and he slept really well...uncovered him this morning and he is still sitting on that perch, didn't move much, he did bend over to check out his food but still hasn't eaten?

Quote:
One clear advantage to birds: they can detect seismic waves moving thru the earth's crust better than CalPoly Pomona's million dollar earthquake equipment. Living in Earthquake country my whole life, my birds always gave me a 7-second warning before the earthquake hit. They had a signature, panic squawk reserved just for earthquakes.
Wow, interesting.....

Quote:
My birds were 15 very happy years of my life. But they sure do poop alot.
LOL, yeah they do....

Old 09-15-2020, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
You can potty train a bird. It takes a lot of work and you need to ave a bird that wants to please you. But it can be done. A lot of it is training you so you realize when they need to go and hold them over a garbage can or out the window.
yes I read that? I have a very good cockatiel page that I refer to as well....and she said that you can potty train them.....but first I need to get the bird used to me.

I sit by his cage and talk and whistle and play my phone, last early evening played classical music for him.

BTW, named him Giz....

I'm a tad worried, as he hasn't eaten yet? Bought him home around 5 p.m. yesterday....

Thanks so much....

Old 09-15-2020, 08:57 AM

9,253 posts, read 5,499,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes I read that? I have a very good cockatiel page that I refer to as well....and she said that you can potty train them.....but first I need to get the bird used to me.

I sit by his cage and talk and whistle and play my phone, last early evening played classical music for him.
It's good you're spending some time with him, but do give him some "free time" with you out of the room so he can explore his new cage by himself. He'll take some time to feel comfortable; you don't want him feeling so stressed by your presence that he's not able to move around, eat, or drink.

Giz will figure things out, never fear!

BTW, cockatiels aren't the best talkers, but boy can they whistle! You might try teaching him to whistle some songs (after he's feeling more comfortable around you).

Old 09-15-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
It's good you're spending some time with him, but do give him some "free time" with you out of the room so he can explore his new cage by himself. He'll take some time to feel comfortable; you don't want him feeling so stressed by your presence that he's not able to move around, eat, or drink.

Giz will figure things out, never fear!

BTW, cockatiels aren't the best talkers, but boy can they whistle! You might try teaching him to whistle some songs (after he's feeling more comfortable around you).
We're having fun, and yes, thank you, I do leave him alone, ran to the grocery store this morning...and do go into other rooms leaving him alone.

hasn't explored his cage yet....I'm thinking the toys are strange to him, but now that he's eating I'm sure in no time he will explore his cage.

I bought another smaller cage for him to be in, when I was his cage out....and got some bird cleaning stuff for the cage.

Old 09-15-2020, 12:24 PM

Day 1

Took the blanket off the cage, and then started my routine of cleaning the paper in his cage, giving him fresh water after cleaning the dish....

He started eating....yeah....

Spent some time with him, sitting by his cage, then in my computer room, then, back to the kitchen...I have a living room kitchen and dining room open floor plan...so, he can see me when I'm in the kitchen.

Got the idea to play cockatiels whistling, chirping and singing on my phone and he loved it, that is when he started eating.

Went to the store picked up apples, some salad mix with brussel spouts, kale and cabbage...also bean sprouts and some nuts....gave him a little and cut up a strawberry, and put them in his seed dish...we'll see.

Now he is siting on his perch with one foot dozing off a bit while listening to the birds singing.

it's 12::30 noon here so that is all for now.

Old 09-15-2020, 02:40 PM

Sounds like he's really beginning to settle in and feel comfortable in his new home with his new best friend!

That small cage is a good idea - it will come in handy for traveling and for vet visits as well as for when you're cleaning his big cage.

When it comes to the fresh foods, be persistent. Birds can be like very picky children when it comes to trying out new foods. The first few (or few dozen) times you offer him something he may turn his beak up at it, only to devour it the next time you put it in his dish. He'll figure out that apples and kale aren't poisonous eventually!

Old 09-15-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Sounds like he's really beginning to settle in and feel comfortable in his new home with his new best friend!

That small cage is a good idea - it will come in handy for traveling and for vet visits as well as for when you're cleaning his big cage.

When it comes to the fresh foods, be persistent. Birds can be like very picky children when it comes to trying out new foods. The first few (or few dozen) times you offer him something he may turn his beak up at it, only to devour it the next time you put it in his dish. He'll figure out that apples and kale aren't poisonous eventually!
I will put a small amount in every day....but they suggest to only leave it in one hour then clean out the bowl?

Thank you

Old 09-15-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I will put a small amount in every day....but they suggest to only leave it in one hour then clean out the bowl?

Thank you
If it has to be in the same dish as the seed, that's probably a good idea. Fresh food spoils much more quickly than seed does, so you don't want it messing up the seed. It's easier to use a separate bowl for the fresh stuff, which you can leave in the cage for a few hours and then remove, and a seed bowl which you can check and (if necessary) top off every morning.

Old 09-15-2020, 04:47 PM

Parakeet vs Cockatiel?-giz-9-15-2020-2-.jpg

Meet Giz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds