U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 07:34 AM

4,559 posts, read 7,340,086 times

Advertisements

The term pied means that their coloring is not standard and is fairly unique. To compare, a regular cockatiel has a very uniform coloration. Pied and pearl cockatiels are varied in coloration and not as uniform. Do an internet search for pictures of cockatiels of different colorations.

For instance, regular cockatiels can be sexed based on the feather color on their head. Males have a yellow head, females are grey. Both sexes have the round, orange ear patches.

Ordinary pied females can have patches of yellow feathers, some small or large, on their head. I tend to think your bird is male because the head is prodominantly white. As mentioned, a very pretty bird. I raised many colorations of cockatiels but got rid of my breeder birds before white face cockatiels were as common as today.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2020, 10:31 AM

9,339 posts, read 5,559,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
The term pied means that their coloring is not standard and is fairly unique.
Specifically, a pied bird will have white feathers scattered in random places on its body where white feathers are not usually found - and the specific pattern of white scattering will be unique to each individual bird (just like the white spots on a black-and-white pinto horse - every pinto looks different). Pied cockatiel. Cockatiel color genetics.

Old 09-16-2020, 08:02 PM

27,070 posts, read 26,413,764 times
Very bad news. IM ALLERGIC TO THE BIRD. wheezing. IM SO UPSET

Old 09-16-2020, 08:06 PM

Oh, no! I'm so sorry to hear that!

Old 09-16-2020, 08:23 PM

4,559 posts, read 7,340,086 times
I am so sorry to hear of the bad news. Allergies like this are well beyond any advice I can offer to you.

Old 09-17-2020, 07:54 AM

well, my son and grand daughter stopped by to visit yesterday and they suggested moving the cage further away from me....I use wax paper for the bottom of the cage and change that a couple times a day...

I also ordered an air purifier which is supposed to arrive the middle part of next week.

Also, all day yesterday I worked with Giz, stepping up and coming out of the cage on top of this cage, which he seemed to enjoy...he is not singing or chirping a lot but he did twice yesterday....I know he is happy and content b/c he is clicking his beak which I read is a good sign of contentment and peace in cockatiels.

I have moved to a different state, and since I moved last year my allergies have gotten much worse....so, lol, the benefits of getting old....

I bought Giz a play pen and put it together yesterday, which will go in front of the window...when he is more secure I'll put him on that....

oh, and btw, I'm not using my finger yet to coax him out I'm using a perch....

again, any training suggestions would be welcome.

Sorry for the downer post yesterday....like I said, not giving him up yet?

have a great day.

Old 09-17-2020, 01:07 PM

15,030 posts, read 16,068,807 times
Hopefully with Everything you’re doing with the air purifier keeping the cage is clean as possible that your allergies won’t be so bad and you will be able to keep your sweet little bird. Yes the little perch stick a very good tool to use. My guess is he use your finger right away if he’s comfortable on that little perch. He sounds quite happy in his new home. Good job

Old 09-17-2020, 04:02 PM

The air purifier will definitely help. Also, use an N95 mask when you change the papers in Giz's cage or (especially when you give it a through cleaning), and keep him out of your bedroom. Cockatiels are "dusty" birds (the tips of their feathers break down into a powder which they rub through their feathers to clean them, instead of bathing in water as most other birds do), and are more likely to trigger allergies and wheezing in susceptible people than most other bird species, but often the problem can be managed. I have asthma and am mildly allergic to my own two squirts, so I sympathize.

Old 09-17-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
The air purifier will definitely help. Also, use an N95 mask when you change the papers in Giz's cage or (especially when you give it a through cleaning), and keep him out of your bedroom. Cockatiels are "dusty" birds (the tips of their feathers break down into a powder which they rub through their feathers to clean them, instead of bathing in water as most other birds do), and are more likely to trigger allergies and wheezing in susceptible people than most other bird species, but often the problem can be managed. I have asthma and am mildly allergic to my own two squirts, so I sympathize.
this morning Giz woke up and I put him on his perch on top of the cage, and he flew down to the floor....
he was so happy with himself he was chirping away....lol

this afternoon I was holding him on the perch and he kept looking at me, while I was talking to him and all of a sudden he flew on my shoulder.....I was so surprised....that's a good sign right?

I spend a lot of time with him, and play the cockatiels chirping and singing for him a lot, he seems to like that.

thanks so much for the suggestions.

Old 09-17-2020, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
this morning Giz woke up and I put him on his perch on top of the cage, and he flew down to the floor....
he was so happy with himself he was chirping away....lol

this afternoon I was holding him on the perch and he kept looking at me, while I was talking to him and all of a sudden he flew on my shoulder.....I was so surprised....that's a good sign right?

I spend a lot of time with him, and play the cockatiels chirping and singing for him a lot, he seems to like that.

thanks so much for the suggestions.
That’s a very good sign! He likes you!

Hear’s hoping some basic precautions will keep your allergies at bay, so you and Giz will have many happy years together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds