U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 07:49 AM

27,070 posts, read 26,478,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
That’s a very good sign! He likes you!

Hear’s hoping some basic precautions will keep your allergies at bay, so you and Giz will have many happy years together.
thanks so very much....

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2020, 11:53 AM

So I'm giving my Giz 2 Tablespoons of bird seed per day, along with some kale and one strawberry cut up...

Also put a mullet in his cage that he was munching on...

The birdseed is 2 kinds....one if Kaylee Fiesta

but I read that they should be eating pellets?

Old 09-18-2020, 12:16 PM

9,420 posts, read 5,640,115 times
Pellets are more nutritionally complete than seed, so yes, Giz should be eating primarily pellets. But if he's never seen them before he may be wary of them. The best way to introduce a bird to pellets is to mix them in with the seed, and slowly increase the percentage of pellets in the mix over time, until it's primarily pellets and the seed is just a minor part of the mix

You can also try products, like Lafeber's Nutriberries, where the pellets and the seed are pressed together to form a single cake or ball. That makes it harder for the bird to just pick out the seeds and ignore the pellets.

Old 09-18-2020, 02:51 PM

4,612 posts, read 7,416,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Also put a mullet in his cage that he was munching on...
Is that deep fried, battered, blackened, or grilled mullet ?

I assume you meant millet. I was only teasing.....

Old 09-18-2020, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post

LOL yes, millet.....lol

watched a video on how to clean a cage, by using vinegar and water....I'm going to do that tomorrow, as his other smaller cage arrived....I'll clean the perches, and spray wipe the entire cage down with a microfiber rag
She said to do it weekly....I cannot believe the dust from the bird that came off...wow....

I also read that granola can be used for a treat but he sure did like the millet...ate it out of my hand today.

Giz is young, and he doesn't talk much at all....he's a very quiet bird....which is kinda strange to me? When I watch and play videos for him, the birds are always talking.

He chirped once in his cage, and another time when he flew on the floor yesterday he chirped but didn't today...?

I hope he's ok, he seems to be, and he is learning step up...

Old 09-18-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post

LOL yes, millet.....lol

watched a video on how to clean a cage, by using vinegar and water....I'm going to do that tomorrow, as his other smaller cage arrived....I'll clean the perches, and spray wipe the entire cage down with a microfiber rag
She said to do it weekly....I cannot believe the dust from the bird that came off...wow....

I also read that granola can be used for a treat but he sure did like the millet...ate it out of my hand today.

Giz is young, and he doesn't talk much at all....he's a very quiet bird....which is kinda strange to me? When I watch and play videos for him, the birds are always talking.

He did that once yesterday when he flew on the floor....?

I've never had a bird before, therefore, I wouldn't be at all offended by any advice ya'll give....

Thanks so much.

Old 09-18-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Pellets are more nutritionally complete than seed, so yes, Giz should be eating primarily pellets. But if he's never seen them before he may be wary of them. The best way to introduce a bird to pellets is to mix them in with the seed, and slowly increase the percentage of pellets in the mix over time, until it's primarily pellets and the seed is just a minor part of the mix

You can also try products, like Lafeber's Nutriberries, where the pellets and the seed are pressed together to form a single cake or ball. That makes it harder for the bird to just pick out the seeds and ignore the pellets.
I ordered pellets today....so when they come I will be mixing them in with his seed, more pellets than seed, right?

How many nutri-berries shall I give him daily in his dish?

Old 09-18-2020, 06:38 PM

4,612 posts, read 7,416,378 times
Sounds like you have a plan. Keep in mind about granola that some brands add a lot of sugar, salt and preservatives in the mixture. Try to give your baby natural granola and read the labels for the ingredients carefully. Yes, mixing seed and pellets is a good thing. The pelleted diet I use is Kaytee Exact Rainbow. I have not used Nuti-berries myself, but they are a well-known brand and have been used for many years by many bird owners.

Don't forget to ask questions if you are unsure, there are a lot of us who can share personal experience in this forum.

Old 09-18-2020, 08:09 PM

1,816 posts, read 1,290,696 times
sounds like you're figuring it out.

One thing I remember: when pet food stores get _fresh_ spray millet still on the stalk, that is like super-candy to the birds (nuts and seeds have a lot of tasty fat). I would wrap the spray millet with a giant red lettuce leaf (rinse it and leave it wet) and I would attach that to the cage wall with twisty-tie. They tore that up. They loved carrots, too. They made a mess of orange sawdust doing it.

In the old days when newspaper was plentiful, and I had one strange bird that liked to shred the newspaper/comic section into ribbons. So in time, your bird will show you what he or she thinks is fun.

I dont think the gender of your bird "matters" if you dont intend to breed it. I tended to change their name once they matured and clearly showed their sex.

Old 09-18-2020, 08:36 PM

How many nut berries shall I give him per day. Are they pellets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds