U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 09:38 PM

27,070 posts, read 26,356,083 times

Advertisements

I've read Teflon pans are a no no,so what kind of cookware do you use for eggs, fried and scrambled
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2020, 10:12 PM

15,012 posts, read 16,014,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
LOL yes, millet.....lol

watched a video on how to clean a cage, by using vinegar and water....I'm going to do that tomorrow, as his other smaller cage arrived....I'll clean the perches, and spray wipe the entire cage down with a microfiber rag
She said to do it weekly....I cannot believe the dust from the bird that came off...wow....

I also read that granola can be used for a treat but he sure did like the millet...ate it out of my hand today.

Giz is young, and he doesn't talk much at all....he's a very quiet bird....which is kinda strange to me? When I watch and play videos for him, the birds are always talking.

He chirped once in his cage, and another time when he flew on the floor yesterday he chirped but didn't today...?

I hope he's ok, he seems to be, and he is learning step up...
Millet someone told me is sweet so it’s tasty. Giz might not be very vocal cuz it’s a girl. They are quieter. Have you tried a spritzing water from a stay bottle yet for his bird bath. Looks so pretty when they spread their wings to enjoy

Old 09-18-2020, 10:28 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,138,422 times
Quote:
Creme, he’s gorgeous! Best of luck with him!

Old 09-18-2020, 10:59 PM

4,535 posts, read 7,287,877 times
Quote:
I've read Teflon pans are a no no,so what kind of cookware do you use for eggs, fried and scrambled
I would recommend ceramic coated, stainless steel or cast iron pans. Very sturdy without the potential hazard.

Old 09-19-2020, 07:50 AM

28,928 posts, read 68,911,286 times
There are a lot of non-stick surfaces that are not Teflon. In fact, I am not sure they even use Teflon anymore, I have not seen it in a long time. The existence of a Teflon pan does not mean your bird is dead. If you burn the pan and your bird is close enough to breathe in concentrated fumes - then your bird ids dead.

There are a lot of things bad for your bird aerosol, flushing the toilet with the bird int he bathroom, various foods (lists are available on the internet). We have had a number of birds in our lives. People knew we were bird people in part because my buddy Orville the cockatoo went everywhere with me, and a number of people asked us to foster/adopt pet birds they could not longer care for. I cannot remember what happened to all of them but most died from physical hazards.

Orville (Cockatoo) was my best friend for 30 years. One of his wings was just a stub, so he went everywhere with me. He died after surgery for a prolapsed rectum (probably caused by cancer). He killed a cockatiel we had at one time (jealousy). Our bird-sitter accidentally let him get out and he chewed through her nest box attached to her cage and killed her and destroyed her eggs. He was really sweet to us,but did no like other birds being around. We had an aviary of finches get attacked by ants. The ants killed about 12 finches. Another cockatiel flew away when we were moving. We could not understand how she got out. Canaries can be killed by mosquito. We had a green parrot given to us that had some sort of giant fungal growth on its head. The vet could not cure it. The Parrot was supposed to die in a month so the owners who were moving asked us to foster him for his last few weeks since they were moving. We had that nasty screamy fungus head parrot for years and actually came to like him over time. He got pneumonia and died. The vet said it had nothing to do with the massive fungus growth covering his head. He was just old and possibly weakened by the blob covering so much of his head. One bird just suddenly flew into a wall repeatedly until he died. He had been out often before, never had any issues, then suddenly decided to kill himself. We had several birds that just died one day (or more typically one night). Could have been old age, there is just no way to know. However there was no indication any of them died because of toxins. A friends birds got killed by a cat. Our cat (Devon Rex) was terrified of the birds. She would not go near them and ran to hide if they were out. Our dogs (mostly mastiffs) either feared them or ignored them. Orville used to ride around on Tigger (mastiff) at times. Orville could not fly and expected to be provided transportation wherever he wanted to go. Other than Orville killing that one cockatiel, we never had any problem with pets hurting each other.

Some birds seem to live forever. Sometimes to your dismay. A lot of people gt a bird fully intending to want to care for it forever. However no one knows what they life and preferences will be in tn or thirty or forty years. We have adopted, fostered or helped place a considerable number of birds. You need to have a plan for what you will do if things change in your life.

Old 09-19-2020, 08:15 AM

4,535 posts, read 7,287,877 times
Coldjenses, sorry to hear of you previous, tragic losses. I agree that some animals will get along just fine, I just think as a general rule of thumb caution is a better policy for most bird owners. The first time my Senegal flew away from me in my home when startled, my Cavalier King Charles puppy attacked her before I rescued my bird. Fortunately, no damage was done and learned not to take that chance again.

Old 09-19-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
There are a lot of non-stick surfaces that are not Teflon. In fact, I am not sure they even use Teflon anymore, I have not seen it in a long time. The existence of a Teflon pan does not mean your bird is dead. If you burn the pan and your bird is close enough to breathe in concentrated fumes - then your bird ids dead.

There are a lot of things bad for your bird aerosol, flushing the toilet with the bird int he bathroom, various foods (lists are available on the internet). We have had a number of birds in our lives. People knew we were bird people in part because my buddy Orville the cockatoo went everywhere with me, and a number of people asked us to foster/adopt pet birds they could not longer care for. I cannot remember what happened to all of them but most died from physical hazards.

Orville (Cockatoo) was my best friend for 30 years. One of his wings was just a stub, so he went everywhere with me. He died after surgery for a prolapsed rectum (probably caused by cancer). He killed a cockatiel we had at one time (jealousy). Our bird-sitter accidentally let him get out and he chewed through her nest box attached to her cage and killed her and destroyed her eggs. He was really sweet to us,but did no like other birds being around. We had an aviary of finches get attacked by ants. The ants killed about 12 finches. Another cockatiel flew away when we were moving. We could not understand how she got out. Canaries can be killed by mosquito. We had a green parrot given to us that had some sort of giant fungal growth on its head. The vet could not cure it. The Parrot was supposed to die in a month so the owners who were moving asked us to foster him for his last few weeks since they were moving. We had that nasty screamy fungus head parrot for years and actually came to like him over time. He got pneumonia and died. The vet said it had nothing to do with the massive fungus growth covering his head. He was just old and possibly weakened by the blob covering so much of his head. One bird just suddenly flew into a wall repeatedly until he died. He had been out often before, never had any issues, then suddenly decided to kill himself. We had several birds that just died one day (or more typically one night). Could have been old age, there is just no way to know. However there was no indication any of them died because of toxins. A friends birds got killed by a cat. Our cat (Devon Rex) was terrified of the birds. She would not go near them and ran to hide if they were out. Our dogs (mostly mastiffs) either feared them or ignored them. Orville used to ride around on Tigger (mastiff) at times. Orville could not fly and expected to be provided transportation wherever he wanted to go. Other than Orville killing that one cockatiel, we never had any problem with pets hurting each other.

Some birds seem to live forever. Sometimes to your dismay. A lot of people gt a bird fully intending to want to care for it forever. However no one knows what they life and preferences will be in tn or thirty or forty years. We have adopted, fostered or helped place a considerable number of birds. You need to have a plan for what you will do if things change in your life.
so so sorry for all the losses you've experienced, but it sounds like you guys were great bird parents....and I appreciated reading your story....thank you so much for sharing....

Greatly appreciate.

Old 09-19-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Coldjenses, sorry to hear of you previous, tragic losses. I agree that some animals will get along just fine, I just think as a general rule of thumb caution is a better policy for most bird owners. The first time my Senegal flew away from me in my home when startled, my Cavalier King Charles puppy attacked her before I rescued my bird. Fortunately, no damage was done and learned not to take that chance again.
Oh Lord, that reminds me of a story, but first, can you advise me how many of those nutri berries shall I give to my bird a day?

OK, my dad had a canary, and the pretty thing thought it was a parakeet....my dad spent so much time with that bird, until it sat on his finger, shoulder and even his bald head while eating....it really trusted and loved him.

My in laws had two dogs....we went to visit not knowing my mom had left the bird out, and the moment we walked in, well, you know the rest, it was quick, but the hardest part was telling my dad....he was really hurt, you could tell.....back then men were not supposed to show emotion....I felt so bad....to this day....it still upsets me.

I believe I bought the wrong thing again, I don't believe nurti berries are pellets, that I'm supposed to get?

Old 09-19-2020, 11:46 AM

9,257 posts, read 5,507,225 times
You don’t need to ration Nutriberries. Your bird won’t overeat them.

Old 09-19-2020, 11:50 AM

9,257 posts, read 5,507,225 times
Quote:
I believe I bought the wrong thing again, I don't believe nurti berries are pellets, that I'm supposed to get?
Nutriberries are a mix of pellets and seeds which are pressed together to form a ball. A lot of people find them useful in transitioning birds to pellets, because it’s pretty much impossible for a bird eat a Nutriberriy and NOT consume at least a few of the pellets in the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds