U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-07-2020, 10:54 AM
 
27,070 posts, read 26,345,069 times
Reputation: 16749

Advertisements

I'm going to be purchasing a pet bird, and at first I thought about buying a parakeet or two....the store owner told me that parakeets are not easy to train to sit on your finger and they are nervous birds, and suggested a cockatiel?

Would those of you who own birds suggest one or the other and why....

1. What size bird cage
2. What kind of food and treats for each breed?
3. Any suggestions on care would be appreciated.

Thanks so much
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-07-2020, 03:43 PM
 
1,158 posts, read 375,591 times
Reputation: 644
both are smart birds,parakeets are smaller ,I just came back from pet shop where I bought my parakeets,it has none right now as shipping is a problem.
The name of the shop is XTREME on Bellaire.
I would prefer a smaller bird like parakeet if this is your first time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2020, 08:42 AM
 
27,070 posts, read 26,345,069 times
Reputation: 16749
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
both are smart birds,parakeets are smaller ,I just came back from pet shop where I bought my parakeets,it has none right now as shipping is a problem.
The name of the shop is XTREME on Bellaire.
I would prefer a smaller bird like parakeet if this is your first time.
Thank you, but my question is, the store owner told me that Parakeets are not easy to train....is that true?

I want to bring the bird out of the cage and have it sit on my finger, shoulder, and interact? The store owner said, it's difficult to do? Is this true..?

What kind of food do you buy?

Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2020, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
9,253 posts, read 5,499,855 times
Reputation: 24219
Parakeets aren't difficult to train if you start with a young bird, keep it as an only bird, and interact with it frequently. How to hand-tame a parakeet

For a parakeet, you want a cage with half-inch bar spacing, at least 18"x18"x18" (but larger is better!). A cockatiel does better with three-quarter inch bar spacing, with a minimum cage size of 24"x18"x24" (but bigger is better!). You want a lot of horizontal bars (that makes it easier for the bird to climb around) and as large a cage as you can manage. Beware - many cages commonly sold in pet stores are far too small! Also, try to find a cage that doesn't use food doors and/or entrance doors that slide up, as a clever bird may well figure out how to open them. Large, well-designed cages are surprisingly hard to find, but they are worth searching out. A cage that easily breaks down for cleaning is a real plus as well.

Diet for both species is primarily seeds, supplemented with greens.

Here's a basic article on cockatiel care you may find helpful: https://www.thatpetplace.com/article...atiels-article

And here's one for parakeets: https://www.thatpetplace.com/articles/parakeet-article

Edited to add: You may find these links helpful as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2020, 06:09 PM
 
Location: Ocala, FL
4,532 posts, read 7,280,743 times
Reputation: 4524
I agree that a seed diet with fresh fruit, nuts, grains, vegetables is typical. In this modern day and age, pelleted diets are rapidly becoming the norm along with fresh fruit and vegetables.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2020, 07:21 PM
 
27,070 posts, read 26,345,069 times
Reputation: 16749
well, I bought a cockatiel today, put it on hold until the cage arrives on Monday...it is a large cage, enough for two actually....

It's a young white faced bird, with grey markings, pretty little thing. Cage is arriving on Monday and hopefully I will be putting it together and picking the bird up by Wed.

I've got plenty of toys to interchange...it's a young bird, and was hand raised. He said, it's very hard to tell the sex on a white faced bird...

I thought I was going to get a parakeet/bundgie, so I got one kind of food but the pet store owner said, that
I can give it to the cockatiel, and I've also bought another kind of food that I'll mix with the bird seed.

I'm really excited....

thank you and any suggestions would be welcomed....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2020, 07:28 PM
 
Location: In The South
3,646 posts, read 3,135,450 times
Reputation: 8529
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
well, I bought a cockatiel today, put it on hold until the cage arrives on Monday...it is a large cage, enough for two actually....

It's a young white faced bird, with grey markings, pretty little thing. Cage is arriving on Monday and hopefully I will be putting it together and picking the bird up by Wed.

I've got plenty of toys to interchange...it's a young bird, and was hand raised. He said, it's very hard to tell the sex on a white faced bird...

I thought I was going to get a parakeet/bundgie, so I got one kind of food but the pet store owner said, that
I can give it to the cockatiel, and I've also bought another kind of food that I'll mix with the bird seed.

I'm really excited....

thank you and any suggestions would be welcomed....
Congrats, Cremebrulee! Go slow with her, even though she’s young it will be all new and strange for her. They can be extremely sweet and interactive. Just keep at it, a little at a time. I’m excited for you!

Pictures will be required.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2020, 08:16 PM
 
15,005 posts, read 16,002,615 times
Reputation: 12962
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
well, I bought a cockatiel today, put it on hold until the cage arrives on Monday...it is a large cage, enough for two actually....

It's a young white faced bird, with grey markings, pretty little thing. Cage is arriving on Monday and hopefully I will be putting it together and picking the bird up by Wed.

I've got plenty of toys to interchange...it's a young bird, and was hand raised. He said, it's very hard to tell the sex on a white faced bird...

I thought I was going to get a parakeet/bundgie, so I got one kind of food but the pet store owner said, that
I can give it to the cockatiel, and I've also bought another kind of food that I'll mix with the bird seed.

I'm really excited....

thank you and any suggestions would be welcomed....
Congrats are used to raise cockatiels. If there are other cockatiels around when you pick it up compare the color of the orange in the cheek. Very dark orange is usually the boy. The girls have lighter orange. The females have a lighter color striping on the underside of their tails or spots and sometimes on the underside of their wings.

Handle your bird a lot it’s good that it was already hand raised. Put your finger to its chest and it will automatically lift its legs to stand on your finger. Wear a ring so when it’s sitting in the on your finger it will bend its head down to play with it. When it does use your other hand and start getting him used to being petted on the head. They learn to love that and soon they will be putting their head down to be petted. The boys seem to be more vocal and are easier to teach to talk. If you want them to whistle or talk do not give them a mirror because they like to look at themselves more than anything else. Cover their cage and have them listen to a tape recording of what it is you want them to whistle or say.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2020, 07:46 AM
 
27,070 posts, read 26,345,069 times
Reputation: 16749
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Congrats are used to raise cockatiels. If there are other cockatiels around when you pick it up compare the color of the orange in the cheek. Very dark orange is usually the boy. The girls have lighter orange. The females have a lighter color striping on the underside of their tails or spots and sometimes on the underside of their wings.

Handle your bird a lot it’s good that it was already hand raised. Put your finger to its chest and it will automatically lift its legs to stand on your finger. Wear a ring so when it’s sitting in the on your finger it will bend its head down to play with it. When it does use your other hand and start getting him used to being petted on the head. They learn to love that and soon they will be putting their head down to be petted. The boys seem to be more vocal and are easier to teach to talk. If you want them to whistle or talk do not give them a mirror because they like to look at themselves more than anything else. Cover their cage and have them listen to a tape recording of what it is you want them to whistle or say.
Thank you....

My guy doesn't have an orange ring on his head, his head is pure white with pretty grey markings on his body. They call it a white faced cockatiel. I've read that the males have a much whiter head than the females...and mine is pure white....google them, they are so pretty....I no longer wear any jewelry what so ever, as I'm allergic, so I gave all my rings away? Any other suggestions?

I have 2 kinds of feed....and plan on giving Tito...his name....lol, fresh fruits, like bananas, orange slices...etc....I've read not more than one blueberry a week....and not more than 2 T of food per day?

Thanks again, appreciate all your suggestions....

any more, please throw them this way...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2020, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Ocala, FL
4,532 posts, read 7,280,743 times
Reputation: 4524
The orange ring (circle) is over the ear on regular male cockatiels, but the white face variety will not have it on either sex. As others have said, congratulations. Personality wise, I think cockatiels are much better (not that I don't like budgies). Most cockatiels won't learn to talk and even less budgies will either.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top