U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2020, 07:06 AM

438 posts, read 128,783 times

Advertisements

It doesn't mention on anything if it is or not on results for large storage bins on home depot or lowes. I just want to use it to store a ground bird feeder. I only plan to use the feeder when it rains on cement under porch. When it's not raining I want the birds to eat from the bird feeding station. The only place that will have some food is the bolted tray from the ground bird feeder. The whole ground feeder will go in the container.

Is there a specific material the storage container should be so it's not toxic? Does it matter if it's color or not? Maybe the material or smell might be toxic? Are there any extra large food storage containers that are bigger than 19 inches in length × 16 inches in width × 18 inches in height?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 10:17 AM

2,738 posts, read 882,777 times
They're deadly.

Old 01-04-2021, 07:39 AM

10,249 posts, read 5,073,825 times
It's not recommended to grind your plastic storage bins into powder and eat the powder, if that's what you're asking. But given that most of your food, at some point, is held in a food-grade plastic container, I wouldn't be too worried.

And air tight storage bins come in sizes to the thousands of gallons. How much do you want to pay?

Old 01-04-2021, 08:30 AM

Default Storage container

I plan to buy a big storage container so I can put a ground bird feeder in it when it's not being used. I only plan to use it when it rains since I already have a bird feeder. The dome works only for bird feeder but moves a lot if it's windy. Home Depot and Lowe's sell big storage containers but is this really safe? It's plastic and not designed for food but the food won't touch the plastic. What about the smell of the plastic or the color paint used on thr container? Is this toxic? It doesn't say on the description of the product so even customer service doesn't know.

The only place that will have food id maybe some leftovers already on the ground feeder tray. Inside the big plastic container I will place 2 boxes. The ground feeder will go in container but inside a box. The other box is for other things like the bowls, tray, and bird feeder they eat from... Is this safe? The food in bowls will be placed in zipper plastic bags made for food. The bird feeder won't get a bag because none are that big and the food won't touch the box but will be surrounded by the smell of the box. Is this safe? I will not tape the boxes so they might be slightly opened expose to the smell of the plastic? Is this safe?

Old 01-04-2021, 12:40 PM

2,997 posts, read 688,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzui View Post
I plan to buy a big storage container so I can put a ground bird feeder in it when it's not being used. I only plan to use it when it rains since I already have a bird feeder. The dome works only for bird feeder but moves a lot if it's windy. Home Depot and Lowe's sell big storage containers but is this really safe? It's plastic and not designed for food but the food won't touch the plastic. What about the smell of the plastic or the color paint used on thr container? Is this toxic? It doesn't say on the description of the product so even customer service doesn't know.

The only place that will have food id maybe some leftovers already on the ground feeder tray. Inside the big plastic container I will place 2 boxes. The ground feeder will go in container but inside a box. The other box is for other things like the bowls, tray, and bird feeder they eat from... Is this safe? The food in bowls will be placed in zipper plastic bags made for food. The bird feeder won't get a bag because none are that big and the food won't touch the box but will be surrounded by the smell of the box. Is this safe? I will not tape the boxes so they might be slightly opened expose to the smell of the plastic? Is this safe?
I use a storage bin that I got from Lowe's for wild bird-feed, which I keep in the original bag (which is huge and bought from Costco) inside the bin. I've never noticed a plastic smell coming from the bin, and it's not painted. I use it because it very effectively keeps out other critters capable of chewing through bird-feed bags.

If anyone does know of any safety problems with storage bins, I'd appreciate a link.

Old 01-04-2021, 12:55 PM

4,588 posts, read 7,379,242 times
Galvanized, metal trash cans are also a good way to store unused feed. With plastic containers, mice, rats and squirrels (just to name a few critters) can chew through plastic containers but not metal cans.

Old 01-04-2021, 03:54 PM

13,265 posts, read 6,750,154 times
Not that I would be overly worried about storing bagged/sealed food in a plastic bin, but galvanized cans are fine for seed storage. Galvanizing resists rust, corrosion, oxidation for a very very long time. Dry feed has been stored in galvanized containers for generations. If I happen to get a plastic storage bin with a stronger odor I leave it outdoors with the lid off for a while. Maybe in direct sunlight. The odor should dissipate pretty quickly. The chance that you ended up with a plastic container so fresh off an assembly line that the plastic is still curing is very very slim.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-04-2021 at 04:33 PM..

Old 01-08-2021, 01:22 PM

All of Sterilite storage and food containers and all containers are non-toxic. It says on their site and I spoke with them today on the phone and they said the same thing.

Old 01-08-2021, 04:29 PM

2,997 posts, read 688,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzui View Post
All of Sterilite storage and food containers and all containers are non-toxic. It says on their site and I spoke with them today on the phone and they said the same thing.
Good to know! Thanks for calling them up for us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds