U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2020, 03:59 PM

18,687 posts, read 23,230,663 times

Advertisements

I had 4 Zebra finches, Lost Wilma in March and Gee Gee in December. I was heartbroken as these birds are my babies and I don't have kids. I knew Gee Gee was sick but she was eating and drinking so I was not too concerned. She did stop flying the week before she died but she was chirping. I could have taken her to the vet but any procedure she would not survive. She's tiny and only 2 1/2 years old. The night she died we had a feeling this was her last night. We checked her 1 hour later and she was in her little bath dead. I was so upset I felt like it was my fault. I found Wilma at the bottom of the cage when I cam home from work. She did not appear to be sick that I know of. These birds were part of a clutch that my BIL birds had. My MIL has a male and female also from my BIL birds but another clutch ( sadly the mom and dad died a few months after having babies.)Fast forward to Christmas day. I offered to help my MIL clean her birds cage. I opened the cage to remove the bird liner so I could put in the fresh one and the female bird got out. My husband and I could not catch her, then she flew into a wall in the kitchen and landed on the floor. My husband said "I got her"! then he saw her take a few breaths, close her eyes and she was gone! I screamed and cried so bad and I kept yelling I am sorry to my MIL. She took it better than we did. My husband was so emotional. I started hyper ventilating. I blame myself as this could have been prevented had I not offered to clean the cage. I think the bird freaked out and she is not used to someone else cleaning the cage other than my MIL. Next day we bought her another female finch and we named her Lulu. We will bury Fifi with her 2 sisters in my yard this weekend. We put her in an empty pill bottle like our other birds.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 04:05 PM

4,532 posts, read 7,280,743 times
Using a plastic pill bottle is not an environmentally good choice to bury in the ground. Either a paper bag/box or just in the dirt alone would be more environmentally friendly. No question that it is a big personal loss and I am not trying to minimize that.

Old 12-29-2020, 06:30 PM

18,687 posts, read 23,230,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Using a plastic pill bottle is not an environmentally good choice to bury in the ground. Either a paper bag/box or just in the dirt alone would be more environmentally friendly. No question that it is a big personal loss and I am not trying to minimize that.
Yeah I know but that's how we choose to bury our birds.

Old 01-18-2021, 11:45 AM

28,921 posts, read 68,878,220 times
We raised finches for a number of years. They are easy to breed, but they do die a lot. Sometimes for no reason at all. Since we kept them outside (in California,) we had an ant attack one time. The ants killed most of our finches. If you breed them, you need to mi in new genes once in a while or you will get birth defects. the birth defect birds usually die off pretty quickly. Once we got a flock established, we traded the babies at a local bird farm. They would trade us Zebras 2-3 for 1. This allowed us to maintain a reasonable size flock and mix in bloodlines. Later we were able to trade a dozen or so zebras for a pair of a cooler breed. Zebras, Society and Nunns were the easiest to breed. Cordon Blue bred OK, but tended to die rally easily. We had a strawberry pair, but their little ones died inexplicably. I do not remember what other breeds we had. We never had Gouldians, but we tried most of the other common types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds