U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-20-2021, 04:22 PM
 
Location: on the wind
13,410 posts, read 6,864,977 times
Reputation: 44156

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzui View Post
I have a Sterilite container where I will store ground bird feeders in. They are non-toxic and safe to store food in. It says on the website and customer service already confirmed this online and on the phone. It even has a number on the bottom of the container that means it's safe to store food in. I need to wash it to get rid of the smell. Dawn soap wasn't strong enough to get rid of it. I need something stronger but it has to be non-toxic and safe for all the birds. What can I use? I was told vinegar but that is toxic for birds according to what people have told me on bird forums so I don't feel safe using it. I need something 100% safe, just a soap. The ground bird feeders will be in non-toxic bags except the one with legs since it's too big to fit in bags. This one I will cover the top and bottom with bags held by rubber bands so they can't come off and the Sterilite container will have a lid and latch and will put it in my closet since I have no other place. I don't want to leave it outside because I read that polypropylene is dangerous to be left outside in the heat and it can release dangerous chemicals. This is why I have to put it in now before the summer starts so I will be buying a new one. This is it. Again, I need a soap that will be strong to get rid of the smell but 100% safe for birds.
Why, if you've already confirmed that this container is food safe do you feel the need to get rid of an odor? You aren't even storing feed in the container, just the feeders.

Correction: Overheated vinegar can be toxic to birds (such as indoor caged birds) if they are in close proximity because it releases fumes similar to carbon dioxide.

Vinegar (AKA an aqueous solution of acetic acid) is commonly used as a natural non-toxic disinfectant. Many parrot owners use it to clean cage furnishings. They don't OVERHEAT it.

Some birdcare website info that might clarify:

Question about cleaning with vinegar - Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community

https://birdtricksstore.com/blogs/bi...e-around-birds

Just using room temperature vinegar on some surface that is not overheated won't create these fumes.

Don't know if vinegar will do anything about the smell in your Sterilite. Strong soap/detergent may penetrate the container surface and leave residues that may have their own concerns. All you may do is replace one strong smelly residue with another.

IIRC, you've posted about this before OP. If you want to get rid of the smell in a new Sterilite container I think people suggested to wash it and put the open container outdoors to let it offgas until you can no longer smell the odor of new polypropylene. It might take a few days. No one suggested storing the container outdoors in the sun long term.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-20-2021 at 04:39 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-20-2021, 04:47 PM
 
471 posts, read 137,362 times
Reputation: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Why, if you've already confirmed that this container is food safe do you feel the need to get rid of an odor? You aren't even storing feed in the container, just the feeders.

Correction: Overheated vinegar can be toxic to birds (such as indoor caged birds) if they are in close proximity because it releases fumes similar to carbon dioxide.

Vinegar (AKA an aqueous solution of acetic acid) is commonly used as a natural non-toxic disinfectant. Many parrot owners use it to clean cage furnishings. They don't OVERHEAT it.

Some birdcare website info that might clarify:

Question about cleaning with vinegar - Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community

https://birdtricksstore.com/blogs/bi...e-around-birds

Just using room temperature vinegar on some surface that is not overheated won't create these fumes.

Don't know if vinegar will do anything about the smell in your Sterilite. Strong soap/detergent may penetrate the container surface and leave residues that may have their own concerns. All you may do is replace one strong smelly residue with another.

IIRC, you've posted about this before OP. If you want to get rid of the smell in a new Sterilite container I think people suggested to wash it and put the open container outdoors to let it offgas until you can no longer smell the odor of new polypropylene. It might take a few days. No one suggested storing the container outdoors in the sun long term.

I will use what she uses. Dawn Ultra Antibacterial Dishwashing liquid. It has an orange scent. I will then leave it outside overnight.




https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezIxaaT1Jps&t=29s
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2021, 04:54 PM
 
Location: on the wind
13,410 posts, read 6,864,977 times
Reputation: 44156
DO NOT mix Dawn with bleach. You'll create chlorine gas! Talk about toxic! Rinse away any detergent before putting any bleach on it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2021, 05:24 PM
 
471 posts, read 137,362 times
Reputation: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
DO NOT mix Dawn with bleach. You'll create chlorine gas! Talk about toxic! Rinse away any detergent before putting any bleach on it.
I never said I will use bleach. I don't even use bleach on my clothes. I am against bleach.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2021, 02:54 PM
 
471 posts, read 137,362 times
Reputation: 159
I washed it but it still has the plastic smell. How do I get rid of it? Sterilite said it's harmless but I hate the smell. The other one I had I left it outside overnight 3 times and it still has that smell. This one I used a stronger soap smell and it still has the smell. After I washed it, it didn't. Now 5 hours later it does. This is why I left it outside. It's like the smell comes back on its own whether it's left outside or inside...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2021, 03:51 PM
 
Location: on the wind
13,410 posts, read 6,864,977 times
Reputation: 44156
If you don't like your demonstrated food safe container, give it away. Use a galvanized steel container such as a trashcan to store your feed and feeders instead. Galvanized storage containers have been used to keep livestock and poultry feed safe for over 100 years. You can keep it outdoors under a roof. Heat/sun won't bother it. Nothing will chew its way into it. It won't rust any time soon. It won't leach anything into bagged seed or the feeders. IIRC they were recommended quite a while ago. Then, go ahead and actually feed the birds you say you like so much. They're waiting. And, for Pete's sake move on with your life! It just isn't this difficult.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-21-2021 at 04:16 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2021, 04:06 PM
 
Location: on the wind
13,410 posts, read 6,864,977 times
Reputation: 44156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzui View Post
I never said I will use bleach. I don't even use bleach on my clothes. I am against bleach.
Your linked video procedure includes a soak in bleach; a 9:1 water/bleach solution to be exact.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2021, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Ocala, FL
4,610 posts, read 7,413,598 times
Reputation: 4684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzui View Post
I washed it but it still has the plastic smell. How do I get rid of it? Sterilite said it's harmless but I hate the smell.
The smell will go away after numerous washes (can't say how many with any certainty). This hardly seems to be a major issue. Not much different than buying a new car and complaining about the "New Car Smell".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2021, 05:10 PM
 
471 posts, read 137,362 times
Reputation: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
The smell will go away after numerous washes (can't say how many with any certainty). This hardly seems to be a major issue. Not much different than buying a new car and complaining about the "New Car Smell".
It's been there for months on the other one I bought.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top