Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2021, 06:57 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,853,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Associated Press Australia to kill pigeon that crossed Pacific from Oregon
ROD McGUIRK
Thu, January 14, 2021, 12:09 AM EST

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — A racing pigeon has survived an extraordinary 13,000-kilometer (8,000-mile) Pacific Ocean crossing from the United States to find a new home in Australia. Now authorities consider the bird a quarantine risk and plan to kill it.
Click here for full article

I know that urban pigeons aren't the most popular of birds (although this was a domesticated racing pigeon), and I realize that non-native, invasive species pose a real problem for various eco-systems. Nevertheless, I just can't help but feel sorry for this bird that crossed the ocean and survived the journey. I'm glad that the man who discovered the exhausted bird isn't cooperating with the authorities and has tried to contact the bird's owner in Alabama. I really wish that the bird can be saved somehow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds