Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2021, 04:00 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times

Advertisements

Awesome!!!

https://digg.com/2021/watch-a-red-be...er-slow-motion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2021, 06:11 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
What a beauty! I had quite a few of them this year eating the corn at the base of my maple trees that I had spread for the squirrels. I also had a pair of pileated woodpeckers, a northern flicker, and several downies. it seemed to be the year of the woodpecker. However, the red-bellied woodpeckers appearances always got me the most excited, as it is the least likely here in the city.

Old 04-05-2021, 06:35 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,814 times
Thanks for sharing this, El! Made my morning!

Interesting to see that woodpeckers don't just eat bugs. I wish I could get a woodpecker to eat out of my hand like the one in that video. I can hold bird feed in my hand, but no way would I hold bugs! Nuh-uh.

Old 04-14-2021, 06:58 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
While I think they are neat birds, I have to get rid of woodpeckers who are eating my house.

WE have tried all the suggested things: ribbons, pie tins, smelly chemicals, mesh in their holes, drawing them away to the neighbor's by hanging suet and slowly moving it further and further away. We tried a number of other things that I found on the internet or were suggested by "experts" All they do is move to another part of the house and make more holes. I caught one in a net and drove several miles to release it, but it had a heart attack and died on the way.

Short of shooting them, I cannot find any way to get them to stop destroying our house.

And no they are not pecking for bugs in the wood. There is an urban legend oft repeated that is untrue that woodpeckers only peck on houses if there are bugs living in the wood. This is just one of those false rumors that becomes so widely repeated it is taken as an absolute truth. They make a hole, pull out insulation and move in. If I let them stay then them and their babies come back next year to make more holes.

I hate to kill them, but I cannot spend thousands each year repairing their damage.

Old 04-14-2021, 09:34 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
While I think they are neat birds, I have to get rid of woodpeckers who are eating my house.

WE have tried all the suggested things: ribbons, pie tins, smelly chemicals, mesh in their holes, drawing them away to the neighbor's by hanging suet and slowly moving it further and further away. We tried a number of other things that I found on the internet or were suggested by "experts" All they do is move to another part of the house and make more holes. I caught one in a net and drove several miles to release it, but it had a heart attack and died on the way.

Short of shooting them, I cannot find any way to get them to stop destroying our house.

And no they are not pecking for bugs in the wood. There is an urban legend oft repeated that is untrue that woodpeckers only peck on houses if there are bugs living in the wood. This is just one of those false rumors that becomes so widely repeated it is taken as an absolute truth. They make a hole, pull out insulation and move in. If I let them stay then them and their babies come back next year to make more holes.

I hate to kill them, but I cannot spend thousands each year repairing their damage.
My neighbor had the same problem. Another neighbor, who is a professional carpenter, built a walk-in closet for the first neighbor. The closet extended out under the soffit of the house. Then a woodpecker came along and started making HUGE holes in the outer wall, which hadn't yet had any siding put over it. There were no bugs in the wood, as this was all new construction. I think the carpenter-neighbor came back and treated the wood when he made the repairs, but I'm not sure what he used on it as a woodpecker deterrent. I'll ask him for you.

Old 05-03-2021, 06:41 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Got rid of the current woodpecker. He made a hole in our carriage house, went inside, got lost and could not get back out (apparently). I found him dead on the floor downstairs. Sorry but I was not sad to see him dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds