Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-18-2021, 09:24 AM
 
Location: Virginia
10,091 posts, read 6,424,617 times
Reputation: 27654

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Bourke parakeets are cousins to budgies. They cannot be sexed as easy as budgies. The male and female birds are identical in color. For the most part to identify them by sex, it either needs to be done surgically or by blood sexing.
Thanks for the info!

 
Old 08-18-2021, 10:26 AM
 
3,422 posts, read 1,838,575 times
Reputation: 1902


I was told I have a Bourke..
 
Old 08-18-2021, 10:27 AM
 
3,422 posts, read 1,838,575 times
Reputation: 1902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Ho w pretty! I've never seen a pink parakeet before. I know with "ordinary" parakeets you can tell by the color of its cere; does it work the same way with the Bourke?
Same with any "pastel" parakeet/budgie lol!

I have several all white and all yellow parakeets...
 
Old 08-18-2021, 12:59 PM
 
4,143 posts, read 1,872,593 times
Reputation: 5776
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Bourke parakeets are cousins to budgies. They cannot be sexed as easy as budgies. The male and female birds are identical in color. For the most part to identify them by sex, it either needs to be done surgically or by blood sexing.
That's the same with my lovebirds. I just call all 18 of my birds "my girls" for convenience sake. That includes the two breeding birds that I definitely know are male.

I really do love the coloring on that rosy Bourke parakeet! I don't think I've ever seen a lovebird with that kind of rose/pink coloring -- and I've got greens, a dark blue, an azure blue, a golden yellow, and a deep violet.
 
Old 08-18-2021, 05:09 PM
 
3,422 posts, read 1,838,575 times
Reputation: 1902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
That's the same with my lovebirds. I just call all 18 of my birds "my girls" for convenience sake. That includes the two breeding birds that I definitely know are male.

I really do love the coloring on that rosy Bourke parakeet! I don't think I've ever seen a lovebird with that kind of rose/pink coloring -- and I've got greens, a dark blue, an azure blue, a golden yellow, and a deep violet.
26 birds here! We know how happy they are!

 
Old 08-18-2021, 05:10 PM
 
3,422 posts, read 1,838,575 times
Reputation: 1902
 
Old 08-18-2021, 05:20 PM
 
3,422 posts, read 1,838,575 times
Reputation: 1902
 
Old 08-18-2021, 07:12 PM
 
6,854 posts, read 4,853,645 times
Reputation: 26355
It is just gorgeous. I am not a bird owner, but I appreciate it's beauty. How long do they live on average?
 
Old 08-18-2021, 09:08 PM
 
3,422 posts, read 1,838,575 times
Reputation: 1902
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
It is just gorgeous. I am not a bird owner, but I appreciate it's beauty. How long do they live on average?
I am hoping my new birdie, as well as all my other parakeets, live about 10 years.

One of my English Budgies (yes, I have two!!) likes to lay down.. not sure how I feel about that.

Bat hangs upside down sometimes and they all sleep like bats, they look so funny on the side of the cage to sleep... oh they just woke up..
 
Old 08-19-2021, 11:40 AM
 
3,422 posts, read 1,838,575 times
Reputation: 1902
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top