Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2022, 01:07 PM

22,317 posts, read 29,400,492 times

Advertisements

So apparently two Finches have set up a nest on top of my portable patio heater! I'm sooo excited lol. However, how do I know when it's safe to move it off my deck for the summer? I don't think there's eggs yet but when they do hatch and grow up and leave nest, how long is that timeframe? If I do move it 15 feet to the right will they be able to find it? TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2022, 03:17 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
So apparently two Finches have set up a nest on top of my portable patio heater! I'm sooo excited lol. However, how do I know when it's safe to move it off my deck for the summer? I don't think there's eggs yet but when they do hatch and grow up and leave nest, how long is that timeframe? If I do move it 15 feet to the right will they be able to find it? TIA
Just guessing which finches they are (house finch, purple finch?). You'll know the female is incubating...you'll probably see down or feathers lining the nest and see her tail extending from the edge 24/7. Incubation lasts about 14 days. You'll know the eggs have hatched when you hear the chicks calling and the parents start bringing insect food to the nest. House finch chicks fledge about 18 days after hatching. They don't usually stay in the nest very long and move to shrubs close by where the parents still feed them. You can remove the nest at that time.

If you try to move the nest before eggs are laid or incubation starts they will probably abandon it and begin again somewhere else. If you climb up and see one or more eggs have been laid, don't disturb it. If you do, the birds will probably abandon the nest, so you just killed those eggs/chicks.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-07-2022 at 03:57 PM..

Old 04-07-2022, 03:53 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
In an exposed place like that, you may find the nest abandoned a lot sooner. Squirrels, Crows, and other large birds can steal the eggs, or eat the baby birds. We have 1-2 Junko nests every year, and they like to nest on the ground, or in potted plants. It's rare for their babies to live long enough to fly.

It sounds like you would enjoy watching birds raise a family, you might consider putting up some birdhouses.

Old 04-07-2022, 04:13 PM

So my heater is one that has a tilting cover. So they are completely shaded and protected. Very smart birds actually!

I would never disturb it. I'm too short to see if there's eggs in there but I'm assuming there is or will be asap. I just didn't know when a safe time would be to move the entire heater-not the nest itself

Old 04-08-2022, 02:52 PM

Blonde question: Would two finches make a nest and not have babies? Maybe they just wanted to upgrade their house lol

Old 04-09-2022, 09:28 AM

LOL. I don't know if they specifically make the nest to have babies only or just a place to live

Old 04-11-2022, 03:01 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
LOL. I don't know if they specifically make the nest to have babies only or just a place to live
Nests become rather filthy once a clutch of chicks has been raised in it. Food particles, residues from egg hatching, feces and urates can attract bugs and external parasites even if the parents remove fecal sacs the chicks expel in their early days after hatching. Most nest-building birds don't roost in them once they're finished brooding chicks. Many of these species are migratory anyway, depending where you are in the USA. Cavity nesters may roost in theirs, but again, fouled nest materials put adult birds at risk for parasites (feather mites) and infections. There are exceptions...raptors and corvids often hang around and re-use old nest sites year after year. They typically add a new fresh layer of nest materials on top of the old, and the nest has had a winter's worth of weathering to kill off pests. I remember reading about a bald eagle nest that had been used for so many consecutive years the accumulated weight crushed the tree. Some intrepid biologist weighed all the nest material. It approached one ton.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-11-2022 at 04:19 PM..

Old 04-26-2022, 01:31 PM

Wanted to update you all: We have babiessssssss. I peeked at them Sunday-Little things of fur LOL.

Old 04-27-2022, 06:35 PM

6,968 posts, read 4,809,652 times
Quote:
Wanted to update you all: We have babiessssssss. I peeked at them Sunday-Little things of fur LOL.
Sweet! Do you know what kind of finches? What color are mom & dad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds