Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 12:28 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times

Advertisements

You could also try contacting your local 4h group as well.... I was a poultry group member for nearly 10 years and a leader for 3. Went to a lot of poultry shows (that's a GREAT way to look at the different breeds, since they're all grouped together and displayed in individual cages. You can also talk to the judges and breeders and get pretty good prices (if not free) of defected but still perfectly healthy birds. I had around 75 laying hens and 35 or so show birds, which included my favorite breed/type, Crele Old English. my little rooster used to sit on the feed bucket when I was milking the goats and try to steal food. Luckily, the goats didn't mind him and didn't really pay him much attention. I really like mixing a few bantams and laying birds together, gives an interesting appearance to your flock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 08:41 PM

13 posts, read 63,931 times
Rhose Island reds are wonderful, and Black Alstralorpes {SP?} are lovely big birds.
both give great nice big brown eggs, love them

Old 10-06-2008, 11:50 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
I am just starting to learn about chickens. My favorite is a little banty rooster, he is a beautiful combination of black, shimmery green, and red-gold. I like that he is so colorful and tiny, makes me think of a little toy.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:09 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,275,408 times
I just picked up 12 chickens and a rooster from a summer camp for children. They buy them from McMurrays and let the children raise them. In the fall, they give them away. I have mostly polish chickens and a few bantys. The polish chicks are comical and such interesting colors.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,669 times
How do i find out if i can keep chickens as pets? I only want two of them, we have about an acre and are in Jackson Township.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:41 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,275,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel39 View Post
How do i find out if i can keep chickens as pets? I only want two of them, we have about an acre and are in Jackson Township.
Call your Local Town Zoning Dept. or maybe the Town Clerk's office can answer that question for you. Sometimes your Township will put the Zoning Codes on their website (if they have one) and you can look it up yourself. What state do you live in?

Old 11-16-2008, 08:52 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,154,337 times
I keep chickens,and some of my favorites are Easter Eggers,Buff Orpingtons,Silkies,Speckled Sussex. I don't know if this site was already listed,but it's a MUST-SEE for poultry people, TONS of chicken & other poultry pics there!!

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html

Old 02-13-2009, 05:23 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,217,247 times
I just bought a house on a half acre, and our dozen chicks are due to arrive next month! We ordered all girls, I don't want a noisy boy around here. I figure on a couple chicks maybe not making it, so if we end up with 8 or so, that's fine.

I had a friend who had a small flock like this, and not only could you not hear nor smell them, you would not even know they were there if you didn't look closely.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:50 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
For starters, MOST cities ordinances allow citizens to keep chickens as long as they are confined to a coop or cages and the owner doesn't put up a "farm fresh eggs" sign by the street. "

I don't think this is true. I've lived several different states and have talked to zoning guys in each of them.
Chickens are considered "livestock". Livestock is not allowed by residential ordinances. (there may be some exceptions, like tiny towns in the middle of nowhere)
In some places (my region/area) of Ohio, horses are considered "pets". So you can actually have horses (restrictions vary by plat and acreage) in many places that you cannot have chickens.
Do some people keep a couple in the backyard? Sure. If no one cares. But if the neighbors complain chances are someone will make you get rid of them.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:45 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post

Try a couple bunnies! They're quiet.
Yes, and they are cuter than chickens, but their chocolate covered marshmallow eggs are difficult to fry, and impossible to scramble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds