U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 07:30 AM

421 posts, read 1,031,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Yes, and they are cuter than chickens, but their chocolate covered marshmallow eggs are difficult to fry, and impossible to scramble.
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee186/rooster_red/smilies/lol.gif (broken link)

Please please check your local zoning. It would not be fun to go through the trouble and expense of building a coop only to have to tear it down, and get rid of your chickens, which I guarantee will become beloved pets.

Roosters crow all the time, and certain breeds are very noisy. I can hear one of mine when he's locked inside the coop, and it's about 300 feet from the house.

Your local Agway or feed store will almost certainly have chicks in the spring, and you can get less than 25. Seven laying hens give us more eggs than two people can eat. There are rules regarding space needed per bird, etc, so please educate yourself BEFORE you get the chicks. They need a lot of care in the beginning.

Here's a few of mine:

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 01:01 PM

19,109 posts, read 28,083,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie C. View Post

Please please check your local zoning. It would not be fun to go through the trouble and expense of building a coop only to have to tear it down, and get rid of your chickens, which I guarantee will become beloved pets.

Roosters crow all the time, and certain breeds are very noisy. I can hear one of mine when he's locked inside the coop, and it's about 300 feet from the house.

Your local Agway or feed store will almost certainly have chicks in the spring, and you can get less than 25. Seven laying hens give us more eggs than two people can eat. There are rules regarding space needed per bird, etc, so please educate yourself BEFORE you get the chicks. They need a lot of care in the beginning.

Here's a few of mine:

Awww! You have cochins! I showed bantam frizzled cochins for 4h They're such lovely birds.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:14 PM

2,955 posts, read 6,929,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Chickens are considered "livestock". Livestock is not allowed by residential ordinances. (there may be some exceptions, like tiny towns in the middle of nowhere)
In some places (my region/area) of Ohio, horses are considered "pets". So you can actually have horses (restrictions vary by plat and acreage) in many places that you cannot have chickens.
Do some people keep a couple in the backyard? Sure. If no one cares. But if the neighbors complain chances are someone will make you get rid of them.
Interestingly, I just recently heard of some people I know who are getting some chickens.
Unless I am mistaken, Austin (inside city limits) allows a certain number of chickens to be kept in a fenced yard.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:52 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,103,520 times
when i lived in south america, we bought chickens (we bought five or so as chicks) and kept them in the backyard for fun. they were cool pets, and kept the bug population pretty low, which was always nice.

then we decided to play a prank on some of our buddies that lived in another city, so we snuck the chicks onto a bus, drove across to the other town, and then let the chickens loose in the apartment of our friends. it was a cruel trick, but it was sooooooo funny. they pooped all over everything, tore up every bit of paper that they could find, and generally made a mess everywhere.

memories.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:45 PM

216 posts, read 632,552 times
I just LOVE this thread....and thanks for the beautiful pics, Ellie! Just a note to you suburbanites, (or urbanites) looking for chickens; check your local zoning, as other posters have said. More and more towns are allowing small numbers of hens to be kept as backyard pets. A great place to learn about keeping a small flock is www.backyardchickens.com . Lots of friendly, helpful people there.

There are two on-line places that will ship chicks in quantities as small as three... My Pet Chicken and Meyers Hatchery. If you don't have a feed store local, or can't find what you want there, you can try these two places. I am planning on getting some sex-links at some point; even though the hatcheries will sex the chicks, they usually are not 100% accurate, and with my luck I would end up with a rooster. Sex links are cross bred birds which hatch out with different colors/markings for pullets vs. cockerals.

The biggest challenge I am facing is finding/planning an affordable coop....unless you are handy, which I am not, most pre-built coops are either too small, or too expensive.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:59 PM

1 posts, read 4,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
I noticed that my neighbors down the street have two white chicken and a red rooster. They have a pen and a little pool. I see a lot of that down here. Is that common in Tampa? I think they are cute and I always go visit them.
Yes, it becoming much more common in Tampa, especially with us latins here! Nothing like fresh eggs in the morning!

Old 03-05-2009, 08:54 AM

37 posts, read 99,266 times
I agree- McMurrey's is a great place to get your birds - nice selection. We got Aracanas and silkies 10 years ago and a few of the old girls are still with us. One of the girls took another bunch we ordered under her wing and raised 25 cochins all on her own. The cochins are 4 times bigger than her now and they still think of her as "mother".

Another place I like for fryers is Hoover's cornish, though raising them is a bit trickier as they can grow so fast they can have leg problems (get the to start scratching early for food to work those legs and do not over feed them).

If chicken run areas smell - then get one that's movable. Plant a low grow grass lawn and move it along the lawn area to fertilize and clean up bugs. The eggs will be the tastiest you have ever had and your lawn will look fabulous!

Old 03-06-2009, 07:01 PM

2,795 posts, read 3,819,320 times
Here are some of mine....

Simon,young EE roo

Buffy & Bertha,Buff Orpingtons

Little Girl & Sublimity

Mystery, Millie Fluer D'uccle

Speckle Freckles, Speckled Sussex hen

The Quackers

Easter Egger hens

Ping Pong,Japanese Bantam

Guineas, AKA Skeeter Eaters

Old 03-08-2009, 10:43 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,103,520 times
^my parents' old retriever would have loved your back yard...

Old 03-09-2009, 12:26 AM

5,500 posts, read 20,985,376 times
Chickens are great. Our neighbors had some for a while and they were always getting fresh eggs. They eat the bugs in the garden. The birds eventually died from old age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds