U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 12:04 PM

3,088 posts, read 4,912,527 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm in Phoenix, AZ and have just acquired 3 day old chicks. . . (sold as pullets, so I am keeping my fingers crossed). Have 1 Americauna (easter egg), 1 Rhode Island Red, and one Barred Rock. Phoenix does have an urban chicken ordinance that allows up to 5 hens (no roosters) with permission from neighbors within a certain distance. We do see lots of free range chickens (and roosters) especially in some of the older parts of town where they are grandfathered in. I think that domestic poultry make excellent pets. . . had geese for many years, but need something a bit less noisy now that I am in the city. Have a nice coop, still considering plans for the "run" which will need to be covered as we do have many hawks in this area. I think my dog (collie) will be a great chicken protector, too. . . . he is already acting protective of the chicks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 05:03 PM

2 posts, read 6,215 times
great post ! Very informative and positive . and as you say if you attend to them its no problem Its when you neglect them because of irresponsibility where the problem arises . Im looking forward to watching them grow and its quite relaxing to watch them discover their new surroundings.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:54 AM

5,500 posts, read 21,009,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
The OP never said where they live.

Still of the opinion that chickens should not be anywhere except on a farm away from neighbors. They smell bad and are very loud (I know from experience).

Try a couple bunnies! They're quiet.
I live in an area where chickens are all over the place. They don't smell (not sure where you get that from) and they are great at keeping bugs and ticks out of the yard. We even have a turkey that lives up the road! He is so handsome and doesn't he just know it! He is always showing off to the ladies --- ladies meaning me and any other females in the vicinity.

Last edited by Woof Woof Woof!; 05-11-2009 at 01:04 AM..

Old 05-12-2009, 04:55 PM

5,500 posts, read 21,009,249 times
A note on turkeys, they lay eggs, too, but not as many as chickens and they like to sit on their eggs.

Another note on chickens: I saw a hen running around today with two tiny little babies zig zagging by her side. It was too cute!

Old 05-17-2009, 12:09 PM

3,199 posts, read 12,257,110 times
We have a lot of wild turkeys here on the Big Island of Hawaii, too. They are huge. We often have some come thru our yard from time to time. For awhile recently, one young tom stayed and hung out with the 2 loose chickens we have! It was so funny. Then he finally found a young hen turkey and they moved up the hill aways. I would put a picture in but can't figure out how to do it!

Old 05-18-2009, 12:22 PM

9,618 posts, read 11,916,688 times
Picked up ten of the free ones at our local hardware store about 7 weeks ago. They grew fast! I built a "tepee" shaped chicken "tractor" and a too small (now I realize...) hen house which will require an addition for the total 9 of them. One got sick with some strange thing at about 4 weeks; neck swelled up, she lost her neck plumage and had some weepage out of a lesion. but none of the other chicks contracted it at all, and now all are healthy.

Yes, they love to move, and I want to finish the covered (v. important!) chicken yard, but we're out in the rural country and the other day I looked out to see a Cooper's Hawk sitting hungrily on the top of my chicken tractor. I'm also in Audubon and have no interest in killing gthe raptors, but I will do whatever I need to to physically keep them off my newfound buddy chickens!closed up), and opens tilting towards the front door so I can drop it down, scrape the droppings into a single large bucket (to compost it properly for a while) and/or leave it open to keep things cool in the summer. The entire coop is under an open-sided shed roof so is in the shade or out of the winter rains and snows.

Looking forward to the eggs!

BTW, my hen house is elevated about 34" above ground and the floor inside is 1/2" wire cloth to let the dropppings through. I added a hinged floor under that which will keep things warm in the winter (

They are surprisingly intelligent, able to think a bit abstractly (how to get at things that require more than one or two steps, for example.). They are peaceful to be around; my wife and I sat and had a glass of wine late yesterday afternoon with the "chiggins", in the shade of a big chesnut tree thats' full of nesting birds right now. all quite pleaqsant. Beats working for arrogant corporate GM which I did until I retired about 3 yrs ago.

Bah-gawk, bah-gawk!

Old 05-18-2009, 01:23 PM

glad to hear your little flock is doing well, Rifleman! My 3 "girls" are growing and doing well. . . they are at that "gawky teenage" stage. Seem to be starting to get used to me. I also need to build a completely enclosed chicken yard, a project that will (hopefully) get done this week sometime, as they are old enough now to get out and forage. I am also looking forward to the eggs, and am delighted to see, as they grow and develop that all seem to be "girls", as promised. In my city, roosters are prohibited. . . not that I would want a rooster, anyway!

Old 05-18-2009, 05:12 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,448,875 times
We have 7 hens and 1 rooster. The hens are about 2 months old and I think the rooster is maybe 3 months. They are in temporary housing at the moment - I can't wait to get them in the coop. It should be done in a couple days! We have taken all the "animal" precautions that we can think of, so the only thing I am concerned about is them surviving our dogs.

I am getting a little curious though, two of the "hens" are starting to look a little more like roosters!! Could the place we got them from be wrong?? Who knows, I may have to change my posting to 5 hens and 3 roosters (I wasn't planning on having that many roosters)!!

Rifleman & cap1717 - I see you have relatively "new" chickies........ Good luck!!

Old 05-19-2009, 10:18 AM

9,618 posts, read 11,916,688 times
Talking Latest on The girls. And polar bears.....

Last night we just had to make sure that Jack was going to be safe ("24". What, we're the only ones glued to the set every Monday night? It's the security of our country, for heaven's sake, and if Jack can't do it, who can?)

So, anyhow, we didn't get out to pick the chickens up until after dark. I was concerned that it was "coyote time", and that my girls would be, at the very least, nervous or scared. Sure enough, we found them all huddled together in one corner of the "tractor", and we opened the end door and were able to easily pick them up. I carried them over to their henhouse, and it was like handling super-soft warm towels. (Aren't they "neat" to hold? Super-soft, a bit cuddly, warm as heck... I sound like a blubbering schoolboy, not a sarcastic 62-yr old politically hardened ex-corporate curmudgeon. That's what chickens will do to you, huh? They're a health benefit, IMHO)

Anyhow, there was none of the usual squawking and trying to flap their wings to escape. When I then placed them into their house, they also then sort of flopped down onto the floor and stayed there for a moment, quite subdued.

It was almost like they were on Vicodin or Praxil or something. Interesting hereditary response to the dark. I'm hoping that when my henhouse yard is complete, I won't have to find and urge them into their safe, warm hen house. Perhaps a small (20W) light left on (on a dusk-actuated timer perhaps?) for an hour or so during twilight inside their house will temp them in if the overall sense of security doesn't.

BTW, last note: I'm putting up the yard fencing now, with the top cover that's so important to their safety. I won't be burying the fence wire down as most suggest. I'm going to go gather some relatively large flat river rocks (let's say about 5 lb each) laid around the outside of the chicken wire. I'm also going to rig up an old, mechanical "hot-wire:" fencer I used in the Arctic to dissuade polar bears around our camp. If it works, I'll replace it with one of the new solar powered units.

Buh-Gawk

At one point I had an old Accel Hot Rod coil (one of those big square yellow ones) that put 60,000 bolts onto a wire, and I can still picture a curious young polar bear (pb) sniffing up to it, and an about 3" long blue lightning bolt reaching out to his nostril tip.

You shoulda seen that bear run. For at least 10 minutes. We could see him go wayyyy out towards Hudson Bay (Churchill, MN). (My research wsas in finding ways to save the pbs from the macro-destructo big oil exploration types who would have just shot them all).

I'm assuming that a very low-set wire (about4" above the ground) would interrupt the predator's intentions, huh? We'll see: I'll report back. Maybe with a Youtube video?

Last edited by rifleman; 05-19-2009 at 10:29 AM..

Old 05-19-2009, 10:30 AM

[quote=rifleman;8880466]-(Aren't they "neat" to hold? Super-soft, a bit cuddly, warm as heck... I sound like a blubbering schoolboy, not a sarcastic 62-yr old politically hardened ex-corporate curmudgeon. That's what chickens will do to you, huh? They're a health benefit, IMHO)

Wonderful! Mine are much "calmer" after dark, too. I usually go out to check on them before going to bed for the night, and last night they hardly moved as I refilled their waterer. Still, Peep, the Americauna, is the "wildest" of the bunch. . . but even she is starting to get curious about this strange person who comes with the food, water and "treats"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds