U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 10:21 PM

28,972 posts, read 69,113,166 times

Advertisements

We had 8 little chicks given to us by a neighbor. They did great for about four or five months. Then we had hawks and a bald eagle flying around.

We had five little chicks about five months old. They had a covered run. They had a little box to sleep in. We had some raccoons visit us one evening.

We had three lillte chciks about seven months old. I am guessing at their age, but they were not quite full grown. We let them out of the sealed and bpadlocked box and covered run during the day. We ahd a windstorm with gusts of up to 70 mph.

One little hen survived the winter. She lived on a shelf on our back porch. She was the sweetest little thing. She got frostbite and her toes turned black and she pecked them off, but she still could walk ok. She was a great pet. She woudl come out and greet us =every time that we approached the back door. My sone would impress his friends by saying "Robotic attack Chicken activate!" When he appraoched the door. The chicken woudl come running out from the shl=elf on the porch and run up to each person in turn. Then my son would say "Robotic attack Chicken deactivate" and she woudl runn back to her shelf and disappear. She laid lots of eggs, but never where we wanted them. Usually she laid eggs on my computer keyboard. One day she started having siezures. Three days later she died.

The moral of the story is that you need to learn about chickens and prepare for them before you take them on. We are now building a coop from plans that I bought on E-bay and a nice run that cannot be burrowed into. We are also getting a book about raising chickens. Then we will try again. Not sure what kind. I want one of those punk rocker chickens and maybe some that lay colored eggs. Anyone know what either of those are called? Any suggestions for neat chickens?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 06:40 AM

3,088 posts, read 4,911,339 times
The ones that lay colored eggs are called Americauna. . . eggs are usually blue/ green, and they are commonly called "Easter Eggers". . . .

Old 05-20-2009, 01:46 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,448,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We had 8 little chicks given to us by a neighbor. They did great for about four or five months. Then we had hawks and a bald eagle flying around.

We had five little chicks about five months old. They had a covered run. They had a little box to sleep in. We had some raccoons visit us one evening.

We had three lillte chciks about seven months old. I am guessing at their age, but they were not quite full grown. We let them out of the sealed and bpadlocked box and covered run during the day. We ahd a windstorm with gusts of up to 70 mph.

One little hen survived the winter. She lived on a shelf on our back porch. She was the sweetest little thing. She got frostbite and her toes turned black and she pecked them off, but she still could walk ok. She was a great pet. She woudl come out and greet us =every time that we approached the back door. My sone would impress his friends by saying "Robotic attack Chicken activate!" When he appraoched the door. The chicken woudl come running out from the shl=elf on the porch and run up to each person in turn. Then my son would say "Robotic attack Chicken deactivate" and she woudl runn back to her shelf and disappear. She laid lots of eggs, but never where we wanted them. Usually she laid eggs on my computer keyboard. One day she started having siezures. Three days later she died.

The moral of the story is that you need to learn about chickens and prepare for them before you take them on. We are now building a coop from plans that I bought on E-bay and a nice run that cannot be burrowed into. We are also getting a book about raising chickens. Then we will try again. Not sure what kind. I want one of those punk rocker chickens and maybe some that lay colored eggs. Anyone know what either of those are called? Any suggestions for neat chickens?

Sorry about your "bad chicken luck". I have chickens now that are about 2-3 months old. The last time I had chickens was 20 years ago. I remember starting out with 6, and ending up with 2. My dogs got the other 4. The 2 that were left we used to call the "Renegade Chickens"! They would hang out in the trees and knew how to outsmart those dogs, and everything else that crossed their path! You never knew where you were going to find their eggs either! We lived on a hill, so looking at the bottom of the hill along the fence line was usually a pretty good bet!

I hope we have better luck with chickens this time around. I am getting a little nervous. The only problem I had before was dogs, but hearing about all the hawks, eagles, raccoons, foxes, etc., and knowing we have all those here makes me a little leary!

Old 05-20-2009, 02:17 PM

3,088 posts, read 4,911,339 times
I don't worry so much about dogs. . . my collie is much more likely to be "chicken herder/ chicken protector", but we do have hawks, fox, coyote, and racoons in my urban neighborhood, and although the yard is fenced, "the girls" will have a securely fenced and covered yard. They are already much better "flyers" than I had previously considered chickens to be. . . perhaps with age and weight that will change, but I am committed to keeping the girls as safe and happy as possible!

Old 05-20-2009, 04:05 PM

Our dog and our chicken were friends. It was funny to see the chicken sometimes standing or sitting on our sleeping English mastiff. Our dog kept the Coyotes away, but did not keep away hawks, eagles or raccoons. She also failed to keep the massive gusts of wind from blowing away a chicken or two. I wonder where those chickens ended up?

Our surviving chicken was really neat. Our daughter took her all over the place. To the grocery store, on bike rides, trick or treating. She (the chicken) did a lot of very pet like things and seemed to like people (and our dog). Is it likely that we will get another chicken like that, or was that an anomaly?

Thank you for the information about Americuna or whatever. Do you know what those chickens are that look like punk rockers? I saw some at the State fair a few years ago. There were some really awesome looking chickens. I could not understand why anyone would raise ordinary chickens where there are so many really neat looking ones out there.

I looked up chicken breeds on a website, but there are a hundred or more different breeds listed and not all of the have pictures. I do not know where to begin looking. We want odd looking chickens, but we want ones that also lay eatable eggs. We will probably get eight chickens which, based on our past experience means that we should buy 64 baby chicks so we end up with 8 chickens. Maybe we will start with fewer. Our one chicken laid more eggs than we were eating and we have seven people in our family. WE eat a lot of eggs, but not every day.

I am buying 10,000 night crawlers to improve our soil. Will the chickens eat all of our night crawlers?
The place where I want to put the chicken run gets kind of swampy in one area during the spring. Is that a problem for chickens?

My grandfather used to entertain himself when he was a kid by putting a piece of corn on a string and feeding it to a chicken. He would pull the corn back out and the chicken would eat it again. I guess he did this for hours. Is this a fun thing to do with chickens or was Grandpa just a troubled or deranged youth?

We might end up with a rooster which would be neat if we are going to breed chickens. But he might make too much noise so I thought I might stick him in the neighbors yard and let them get in trouble. Will he hang around there, or will he come and live with our chickens? How do you make a rooster stay put anyway?

Even when we had the covered run, the chickens were only in it when we were not home. Otherwise they just wandered about. They loved to go out into the woods and peck at things. They always came home at night (except the day that we had the high winds, then only some of them came home). Is that normal? Why don't they just wander off and become the neighbor's chickens?

Old 05-20-2009, 04:16 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,437,468 times
My daughter has chickens. Since her husband is allergic to cats and dogs, and she's a "pet" person, he brought her home some chicks one day. She treats them like she would cats. They're all full-grown now, but she can pick them up and cuddle them upside down on their backs in her arms and scratch their bellies and they'll just lie there and look like they're enjoying it. She'll sit on the veranda and have one lying in her lap on its back, and all the others clustered around her feet. They follow her around the yard when they're out, too.

It's very weird to see chickens acting like not-chickens :P

Old 05-20-2009, 05:49 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,448,071 times
Coldjensens - I am not very knowledgeable about chickens, but we used to have a couple "Silky Chickens". They were white with black legs, beaks, etc. and had fluffy, wild feathers, especially on their heads - they looked like they had "Stray Cats" or "Elvis" hairdos!! Is that maybe what you are thinking of?

ZugZub - Your daughter's chickens........How cute - and funny!! We have a couple that seem to be friendly. I was "visiting" them the other day, and the rooster did the funniest thing. He fluffed up, flapped his wings, and acted like he was crowing, but nothing came out!! Maybe he was practicing, so his first time could be really impressive!!

Old 05-21-2009, 04:42 PM

9,618 posts, read 11,914,096 times
Default Bah-Gawk II

Mine have imprinted on me since I've been dad/mum since we got them. I now let 'em out of their cramped henhouse (I built it too small...) in the early am, and they fly to the ground but then follow me wherever I go. I herd them into my "chiggen" tractor to keep 'em from the Cooper's Hawks in the daytime.

They seem at least as intelligent as my cats, well excepting Dottie the Wonder Cat. She's waaayy smarter than Dick Cheney; she warned me against the Iraq war!

Love 'em! So much more sensible and pleasant than some people I know, and easier to feed!

Old 05-22-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
My daughter has chickens. Since her husband is allergic to cats and dogs, and she's a "pet" person, he brought her home some chicks one day. She treats them like she would cats. They're all full-grown now, but she can pick them up and cuddle them upside down on their backs in her arms and scratch their bellies and they'll just lie there and look like they're enjoying it. She'll sit on the veranda and have one lying in her lap on its back, and all the others clustered around her feet. They follow her around the yard when they're out, too.

It's very weird to see chickens acting like not-chickens :P
It is good to know that Chickens acting like pets is not unique. We really liked our chicken. Hopefully we will get another one that is as cool.

A side note. If her husband is allergic to cats, have him try handling a Devon Rex (if you can find one). Many people who are deathly allergic to cats are not allergic to Devons. My wife cannot even visit a house that has cats even if the cats are not home unless she takes Benedryl beforehand. We have a Devon Rex that sleeps on her chest (or on her face at times) and my wife has no problems.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:32 AM

Silke chickens were not what I had seen at the fair, but they are really neat. THey look like cotton balls.

THe ones that I saw at the fair had a funky hairdoo (for want of a better term). The looked like some of the punk rockers that you see at Venice Beach (or maybe the punkers are modeled after the chickens.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds