U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 08:34 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,430,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It is good to know that Chickens acting like pets is not unique. We really liked our chicken. Hopefully we will get another one that is as cool.

A side note. If her husband is allergic to cats, have him try handling a Devon Rex (if you can find one). Many people who are deathly allergic to cats are not allergic to Devons. My wife cannot even visit a house that has cats even if the cats are not home unless she takes Benedryl beforehand. We have a Devon Rex that sleeps on her chest (or on her face at times) and my wife has no problems.
Good to know, thanks. She was devastated at re-homing her cat when she got married, even though we found a fantastic family for it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 11:12 AM

7,087 posts, read 13,607,695 times
If, by chance you have a hispanic flea market in your area, there are normally chickens for sale there, alive on the claw, young hens, some roosters too, but, at an early age, or, at most any age less than full adult, they can be difficult to tell apart. We get rhode island reds, good layers all spring, summer, and fall, good eating in winter. As stated, you do not need a rooster to get eggs. Most of our Reds will lay 5-7 eggs a week, with a dozen hens, that's a lot of eggs. We let ours free range, but, we live in the woods w/ a 2.5 acre clearing. They keep the garden free of japanese beetles - popcorn for chickens.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:22 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,443,318 times
I am really bummed out - I just got a call from my daughter, who went home after school and found our gate wide open (usually closed), the dog kennel door broken, the chicken coop open, feathers everywhere and only one live chicken left. This poor chicken was by the back of our house, probably scared to death, but, believe it or not, one of my dogs was guarding it.

I am not sure if our other dog did it (I was a little worried about him), or something else got them. My daughter was a little confused because the dog kennel door was broke IN, not busted out, like something pushed it in....... I have not been home yet to investigate this, but I am going to be so mad if my other dog did this!

She did not actually find the dead chickens, so I guess I could hope there are a few more live ones, but I doubt it.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:46 PM

3,088 posts, read 4,902,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsh1127 View Post
I am really bummed out - I just got a call from my daughter, who went home after school and found our gate wide open (usually closed), the dog kennel door broken, the chicken coop open, feathers everywhere and only one live chicken left. This poor chicken was by the back of our house, probably scared to death, but, believe it or not, one of my dogs was guarding it.

I am not sure if our other dog did it (I was a little worried about him), or something else got them. My daughter was a little confused because the dog kennel door was broke IN, not busted out, like something pushed it in....... I have not been home yet to investigate this, but I am going to be so mad if my other dog did this!

She did not actually find the dead chickens, so I guess I could hope there are a few more live ones, but I doubt it.
So sorry, that is indeed sad news. Years ago I had a small flock of geese that got along well with all of our household pets (cats and dogs) and that lived in the horse barn. One night the entire flock was "wiped out" by a pack of feral dogs that dug under the fence. I was heartbroken. I hope your surviving chick is fine, and that you find at least some of the others!

Old 05-28-2009, 05:39 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,504,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsh1127 View Post

Old 05-28-2009, 11:03 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,443,318 times
I went home last night and checked out the situation. Not sure what the heck happened, but I suspect our dog (or dogs).

A small piece of good news - I did find one more live chicken! She was hiding in the brush and we coaxed her out with some bread. So at least there are two now, and I don't have to feel so bad for one lonely hen.

I only found 2 dead ones. So at this point there are four still missing. I am not going to keep my hopes up, but I will look again later today.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:13 AM

9,618 posts, read 11,893,419 times
Wink Zap... Bah-Gawk!

So-called domestic animals like dogs can and do "go feral" from time to time, but usually it happens when they get together in a pack. But there may have been a bit of chasing, or mock-hunting, going on at your home, dsh1127, which might have "triggered" some hereditary reaction in one of your dogs. I'm just speculating here, understand; I may well be completely wrong. I was a large mammal field biologist who studied various carnivores for many years in the Canadian & Alaskan Arctic.

Do you live near the country where perhaps a weasel or skunk could have gotten in? Or a racoon? They all can be very resourceful, but oddly, weasels often just perforate the neck and drink the blood (I'm not kidding, and they are not vampires; they just don't seem to have what it takes to rip open a chicken's hide). What sort of condition were the dead animals in?

If they weren't there after the event, but had been removed, it could also have been a bobcat. They, of course, will remove and consume a chicken easily.

You might want to try what I've done: set up an electrically charged fence (about 6000 V of pulsed power) on those plastic yellow insulator stand-offs, set so the wire's about 4 inches off the ground around the outside base of your chicken yard. mine's on a timer so it's not on in the daytime when a chicken might wander over and investigate.

That way, when a curious new carnivore steps up to investigate, he/she will get a nice "corrective and aversive" zap!

It worked for intensely hungry polar bears; surely a skunk can be similarly dissuaded, huh?

I'm off to bed. Finally. Have a good Friday everyone, and enjoy those chickens. I certainly am!

Old 07-11-2012, 02:18 PM

956 posts, read 1,620,557 times
Default Landlady's Turkens: June 2012

I just found out this morning that they were called Turkens - was chuffed the whole day! They are known as Dutch hens back home.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone keeping chickens?-dsc01771.jpg  

Last edited by Gudra; 02-28-2013 at 05:50 PM..

Old 07-11-2012, 02:33 PM

4,532 posts, read 7,280,743 times
Personally I like my chickens from KFC, fried extra crispy.

Wow this thread is 3 years old and you felt it necessary to revive it ??

Old 09-05-2012, 11:11 AM

25,906 posts, read 38,559,776 times
We have eight chickens who are almost two months old. They are so cute and funny. We have two each of four kinds, Buff Rocks, Barred Rocks, RI Reds, and Red Stars. The buffs are the prettiest, so fat and sleek, but they are not very social. They are also impossible to tell apart other than a little down that one still wears around her neck. One of the Stars, Chloe, is docile and sweet. She likes my husband and follows him around.

When building an outdoor coop, it's better to use the pricier "hardware cloth," which is a heavy-duty screen with 1/4" holes, instead of chicken wire. Chicken wire will not keep rodents out, and raccoons can reach through to grab an oblivious hen. The hardware cloth must also extend below a foot or more into the ground all the way around to discourage animals from burrowing in. We bought some plans off the Internet.

I let them out every day so they can run around the backyard. This time of year, the grass has tiny white moths (millers, maybe), and they chase them around. They nibble on grass, run and flap their wings, and rummage around my flower beds for bugs and tasty things. Sometimes they'll find a warm patch of dirt and have a dust bath. It's amazing how fast they grow. I'd swear they are visibly bigger by the day.

Chloe is a lazy butt. She lounges in the grass like a cat, on her side with her feet stretched out. It's hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds