U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 09:23 PM

6,413 posts, read 9,598,365 times

Advertisements

I worked for an aviary for five years. My boss had 64 parrots that he bred. I got five free budgerigars from a lady that called my boss looking for a home for them. I was concerned that they would be lonely and went to a budgie aviary to buy a few more and ended up buy their entire stock of over 70 budgies for a very good deal that included the cages, nest boxes, feeders etc. I had nearly every color there was and patterns too. Is the male a mauve opaline and is the female a cinnamon yellow? I remember my first two breeders was a green male and a pale yellow female and they had a blue male baby. It should not have happened by the book, so I asked the owners of the aviary where I bought them from and they said the male was actually a blue with a yellow gene that make him look green and that the female was an albino green. The genetics of budgies is almost as complicated as college algebra
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 07:11 AM

245 posts, read 642,504 times
Dragonslayer, I'm not sure what what color these 2 are. I have not really looked into this much at this point. I agree, Budgie genetics are crazy complicated.

I wish I knew what color the parents of these 2 were but we don't have anyway to get that info since the previous owner didn't know herself.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:24 AM

2,540 posts, read 5,691,615 times
What a great idea! Years ago, I use to breed birds and I'd pull the budgies and hand feed them. They made the best little pets, so tame. I'm in love w/ the oldest one in the nestbox.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
What a great idea! Years ago, I use to breed birds and I'd pull the budgies and hand feed them. They made the best little pets, so tame. I'm in love w/ the oldest one in the nestbox.
The big guy is Hercules, a JTV visitor has been calling him that and it just might stick, hope he is a HE. Of course it's easy to be the tuff guy in the nest when your egg cracks first.

This setup has been great for us. We can view the nest from any computer anywhere there is a Net connection. The added bonus is we could share the experience with all of you. Oh yeah, and think about the piece of mind you get knowing your vet is peeking in from time to time.

Last edited by billybones; 12-17-2008 at 05:22 PM..

Old 12-29-2008, 09:41 PM

I would so love to have one! I use to breed budgies and handfeed them. I'd pull them younger than yours and they made the sweetest pets. I swear, you stick your hand into petstore budgies and just about get your fingers bit off. Are you handling them alot? They are too cute!

Old 12-31-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
I would so love to have one! I use to breed budgies and handfeed them. I'd pull them younger than yours and they made the sweetest pets. I swear, you stick your hand into petstore budgies and just about get your fingers bit off. Are you handling them alot? They are too cute!
We take the chicks out everyday. They are still staying in the nest box for now. The oldest will be a month old on Friday and he is looking out of the box. Not too much longer until we see him out of the nest.

Mom of course does not approve of us in the nest. She puts up a valient fight but she doen't understand I'm used to being bit by a Senegal parrot with an attitude. When Jolly bites, you get pierced!

There are videos here Budgie Vids

To everyone a Happy New Year! CHEERS

Old 01-01-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybones View Post
We take the chicks out everyday. They are still staying in the nest box for now. The oldest will be a month old on Friday and he is looking out of the box. Not too much longer until we see him out of the nest.

Mom of course does not approve of us in the nest. She puts up a valient fight but she doen't understand I'm used to being bit by a Senegal parrot with an attitude. When Jolly bites, you get pierced!

There are videos here Budgie Vids

To everyone a Happy New Year! CHEERS
I'm fortunate to have the sweetest Senegal you will meet. I've been bitten by Amazons and definitely got pierced. The thing w/ Budgies or Parakeets, they don't just bite, they grind into you. I love the updates of your chicks.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
I'm fortunate to have the sweetest Senegal you will meet. I've been bitten by Amazons and definitely got pierced. The thing w/ Budgies or Parakeets, they don't just bite, they grind into you. I love the updates of your chicks.
I know what you mean about the grinding Budgie beaks. My hands are all nicked up from Crumpet grinding on me when I take her out of the nest box to get the chicks.

I'm curious, what age and sex is your Sennie. Jolly is about a 9 year old male. This is his 3rd home that we know of. He was my best pal until August 07. We had a flood then and had to move in a hurry at 3am. He was very upset about the whole ordeal and has never forgiven me to this day. He doesn't know that I never give up.

From what I've seen, male Sennies are more aggressive and it seems to start after age 5. I'm basing that on several Senegals I've known so it's not a fact, just an observation, something I've been kinda keeping track of.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybones View Post
I know what you mean about the grinding Budgie beaks. My hands are all nicked up from Crumpet grinding on me when I take her out of the nest box to get the chicks.

I'm curious, what age and sex is your Sennie. Jolly is about a 9 year old male. This is his 3rd home that we know of. He was my best pal until August 07. We had a flood then and had to move in a hurry at 3am. He was very upset about the whole ordeal and has never forgiven me to this day. He doesn't know that I never give up.

From what I've seen, male Sennies are more aggressive and it seems to start after age 5. I'm basing that on several Senegals I've known so it's not a fact, just an observation, something I've been kinda keeping track of.
Mine is only 2 1/2. So far, he is one of the sweetest birds I've had and I've had many over the years. He loves to lay on his back in my hand. My friend has one that is 13 and still very sweet.

Your babies are getting big! Are you soaking some millet for them? Mine use to love that along w/ pellets. I don't feed seed to my birds.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Mine is only 2 1/2. So far, he is one of the sweetest birds I've had and I've had many over the years. He loves to lay on his back in my hand. My friend has one that is 13 and still very sweet.

Your babies are getting big! Are you soaking some millet for them? Mine use to love that along w/ pellets. I don't feed seed to my birds.
We pulled everyone out of the nest box now. Chick #2, Forrest Gump with the splayed leg wasn't getting enough to eat so we are handfeeding now. If you have to feed one, might as well do them all. Mom didn't even care they were gone so it was time. They all eat a little on their own now. The oldest is 33 days old and he is flying already. They sure don't look like the tiny chicks they once were.

We have been feeding them Zupreem baby formula. In the tank there is egg food, fruit flavored pellets and weaning pellets (all Zupreem brand). No millet yet but soon. These guys will be pellet birds with seed being a treat. Actually, all our birds have taken a liking to the fruit flavored pellets lately.

They are all so sweet and friendly. I just love watching them change into mature birds. What an amazing transformation that I never grow tired of.

Oh yeah, Forrest is getting better. We used this method (http://www.parrotparrot.com/splay/ - broken link)on him and it seems to be working well. Just have to wait and see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds