U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2008, 08:21 AM

13,395 posts, read 42,144,222 times

Advertisements

For about a month now, I've been hearing this horrendous screeching in the early morning. I finally found out who is doing it.
It is a sulphur-crested cockatoo, he obviously used to be someone's pet.
He was scared of my dog but quite friendly with me. He was eating berries and seemed healthy enough, but still it's kinda sad. I have not seen any ads in the local classifieds about a missing bird--have no idea where he came from.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 08:26 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,022,801 times
Someone probably not want to care fo rhim anymore and released. I would try to catch him and if nothing else send to rescue.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:13 AM

1,478 posts, read 7,413,920 times
One summer a few years ago I heard a bird singing the tune to "Pop Goes the Weasel" every once in a while as I was working in my yard. My husband thought I was finally and totally crazy. Then one day I saw a grey cockatiel sitting in a tree near my bird feeders. He would eat the millet and peck at the orange half that I left for the orioles. One day he flew down and landed on my head. I caught him, put him in a borrowed cage, and took him to a friend who had an indoor/outdoor aviary. We checked with local ACO's, shelters, newspapers and vets and no one within a 15 mile radius reported him missing. He never would have survived a New England winter. He did sing other tunes, but his Pop Goes the Weasel was outstanding!

Old 12-13-2008, 10:18 AM

5,249 posts, read 13,913,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
For about a month now, I've been hearing this horrendous screeching in the early morning. I finally found out who is doing it.
It is a sulphur-crested cockatoo, he obviously used to be someone's pet.
He was scared of my dog but quite friendly with me. He was eating berries and seemed healthy enough, but still it's kinda sad. I have not seen any ads in the local classifieds about a missing bird--have no idea where he came from.
A lady I met up north found an African Grey parrot just like you. The bird had survived the winter eating what it could and had lost a couple of toes from frostbite. She had me come to see if I could help her handle him.

She actually found the owner who said that the bird had flown away. They didn't want it back so she kept it.

If you do catch the bird and don't want it, dm me.... I can ALWAYS make room for another bird. (I've got 2)

Seriously... I really would take her/him!

Old 12-13-2008, 01:31 PM

Thanks, Citizen.
From what I have read, our climate somewhat resembles the cockatoo's native region in Australia. We get some cold winter nights, but it's not exactly New England here.
But I do kind of worry about the guy. I have no idea how to catch him, I would try to get some expert help with it if I did.
It's kind of interesting, every night he roosts in the pines and oaks here along the lake, the same as all the herons and egrets (I've counted as much as 50 on one side of the lake).
Then at dawn he wakes up, makes his cranky racket, and goes on with his day.
At least he doesn't sleep alone.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:08 PM

You might start putting some Premium Parrot Food out in a plate on your deck or something. (that is, something that a parrot would consider as worth the risk like some kind of Parrot Bonanza with Peanuts and Sunflower Seeds and Hot Peppers and other goodies... a dish of clean water would next to it would probably be a nice bonus for him)

When he gets comfortable with that, then you could put it out in the same place but inside of a cage with the door open.

If he's been a pet, I bet it wouldn't take too much to catch him!

He's probably scared ... and hungry.

You know... after I posted this I was thinking about it. Maybe you know someone who has a cage you can borrow. It would be great if you could set a parrot cage outside with an open door.... with bird toys and perches... a nice parrot cage with a perch / play area on top of it would be perfect.

Still... put the dishes outside to attract him.

Most pet birds really like their cages. It's like security to them.

You might just go outside and find him in it!

Last edited by World Citizen; 12-13-2008 at 05:25 PM..

Old 12-14-2008, 04:56 AM

We don't have a deck, and our house is a 5-10 minute walk from the lake, but I could figure something out.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:34 AM

Good luck!

Keep us posted...

You may have an additional Christmas present this year!

Old 12-14-2008, 04:55 PM

5,244 posts, read 14,888,389 times
That's very cool. My parents had two of them many years ago in Naples (SW FL). They kept them in a huge outdoor flight aviary at a friend's house. Those little buggers kept getting out. The male escaped first, so they bought another. Then the female escaped and they replaced her. Then the new female escaped and they gave up. They just sold the male to someone that was looking for a pet.

Maybe the one you found is a relative to my parent's escapees!!!!

Old 12-14-2008, 10:51 PM

8,204 posts, read 33,270,990 times
BlueWillow,

We have an excellent Avian vet facility in Jax (not far from BlueWillow). You can call the for advice on how to catch the Cockatoo, they might also be able to direct you to some rescue groups who can assist (and help with placement, if need be).

Any of the staff members should be be able to assist, they are all very knowledgeable and major bird lovers:

Welcome to The Exotic Bird Hospital
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds