U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 11:38 PM

2,540 posts, read 5,689,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiLover View Post
^Great pictures!

I'm on my second parakeet. His name is Lu. Original name was Lulu, thinking the sex was a female, but it turns out she is a he!
He's a beautiful color.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 05:00 AM

248 posts, read 145,852 times
Only the wild and free ones. Will not comment on my thoughts of caged birds.

Old 03-10-2017, 02:18 AM

28 posts, read 15,043 times
I had two parrots but my father insisted me on releasing them as he doesn't like birds to be caged. I was sad, but I listened to him. I opened the cage gate and waited till both parrots flew away.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:57 AM

4,534 posts, read 7,287,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perriejinnie View Post
I had two parrots but my father insisted me on releasing them as he doesn't like birds to be caged. I was sad, but I listened to him. I opened the cage gate and waited till both parrots flew away.
That was the wrong thing to do on two levels.

First of all, the chance of it's very survival in the wild are slim unless it was originally wild caught. Most likely the bird was quickly killed be a local predator.

Secondly, introducing a non-indigenous species to your local environment can create issues with local species of animals. Just google "quaker parakeet" and you will see what I am referring to.

Old 03-12-2017, 01:11 PM

1,434 posts, read 1,152,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perriejinnie View Post
That's awful.

I wish I'd known about that; you could have sent them to me! Unbelievably cruel. I hope that you learned from this mistake and that you don't do something like this again.

Old 03-12-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
That was the wrong thing to do on two levels.

First of all, the chance of it's very survival in the wild are slim unless it was originally wild caught. Most likely the bird was quickly killed be a local predator.

Secondly, introducing a non-indigenous species to your local environment can create issues with local species of animals. Just google "quaker parakeet" and you will see what I am referring to.
The first point that you made breaks my heart when I think about it, it really does.

I think I know what you are referring to in your second point, as well. The wild parrots of Telegraph Hill?

Old 03-12-2017, 02:16 PM

DH and I have had several birds over the years.

Here are a couple of old pics to get started. Our late little talking budgie, Newman, was in love with our late female kakariki, Sneak.

Despite his small size, he'd shriek "Sneak! Sneaky!" and his loud voice carried all over the apartment we lived in at the time.

Sneak could not stand Newman.

Sneak chewed her way through our blinds so she could rest comfortably by the window, keeping an eye on what was going on outside as well as being able to monitor the situation inside.

Of course, love-struck Newman had to sit with her.

Sneak didn't like her personal space being invaded.

Our late peach-face lovebird, truly the love of my life, Mott The Hoople, sitting with Kikkit, a disabled cedar waxwing who was brought to us. Like Newman, she was in love but was rejected.

And another! Notice Kikkit's display for Mott, who is disinterested, as usual...the little skank!

Here is a montage that I created featuring a few of our birds:

Our late Donald posing with a moulted tail feather by my computer station:

"The beer in this fridge is mine!"

Turkle looking as most lovebirds do, appealing and very cute...but most of us lovebird owners are onto their tricks!

I have tons more photos!

Old 03-22-2017, 07:18 AM

64 posts, read 187,970 times
I have an african grey my dad gave to me 5 months ago,my dad was the one who raised him,and had him ever since he was born,his name is Dwight,he is a joy to have and he can be a crazy bird.

Old 07-26-2017, 03:56 AM

58 posts, read 25,840 times
I have one, it's name Kuzya.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:07 AM

9,254 posts, read 5,507,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibis235 View Post
I have one, it's name Kuzya.
What type of bird is Kuzya?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds