Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 03:44 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,029,544 times

Advertisements

I have three parrots - a sun conure, a blue crown conure and a cockatiel. I had a sulphur crested cockatoo, but she was too much to take care of so a nice older gentleman adopted her from us. When I get back home to CA I will be adding a 20 year old Scarlett Macaw to my flock. I used to bird sit the Macaw and she bonded to me, but hubby wouldn't let me bring her to Texas with me. I can't wait to see her when I get back!!!

These guys are my snuggly little babies!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 04:27 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,604,632 times
I have an African Grey called Charlie, he is 3 years old and talks non-stop. We brought him from a breeder when he was 4 months old.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:23 PM

266 posts, read 547,778 times
This thread is quite old but it seems the only place for me to go about my macaws. Pepper - a mini Hahns; Marilyn - a blue and gold

Macaws, or any parrot, are not easy - they take, in many instances, a lifetime commitment - Phew! do they have long lives! and we have chosen to share our lives with them.

Anyone else here have a Hahns? I'd love to swap behavior stories!

Old 11-28-2008, 10:50 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,046,149 times
we have a real butt head peach crested conure named Aries. I got him for my husbands birthday 8yrs ago. He (the bird) was in a local petstore, and my husband used to go in there and visit w/him each day. Well, a few months went by like this, nobody bought the bird (now I know why) so I went in and made what I then thought was an awesome deal. Kidding you not, I got bird, large iron cage, w/stand, all his accessories, bag of food, and some other extras, for $150.00!! I thought I was so clever....sigh....
anyhow, i made the mistake of talking to the little bugger while i was at home and he totally bonded to me. He is sooooo jeolous of anyone else! He sits by my computer, and will chatter and coo away at me all day long, but if i get on the phone, i have to leave the room because he will scream terribly until Im off. He is so possessive that if he sees anyone hug me, he will go absolutely crazy, screaming and crashing against his cage.
if im not around, he will tolorate others. Except my MIL. He HATES her. HATE HATE HATEs her. When she comes by, we have to put him in another room, w/a radio on, because all he has to do is hear her voice, and he goes wild. In a way, its kinda funny, cuz I can totally relate!

Old 11-29-2008, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
we have a real butt head peach crested conure named Aries. I got him for my husbands birthday 8yrs ago. He (the bird) was in a local petstore, and my husband used to go in there and visit w/him each day. Well, a few months went by like this, nobody bought the bird (now I know why) so I went in and made what I then thought was an awesome deal. Kidding you not, I got bird, large iron cage, w/stand, all his accessories, bag of food, and some other extras, for $150.00!! I thought I was so clever....sigh....
anyhow, i made the mistake of talking to the little bugger while i was at home and he totally bonded to me. He is sooooo jeolous of anyone else! He sits by my computer, and will chatter and coo away at me all day long, but if i get on the phone, i have to leave the room because he will scream terribly until Im off. He is so possessive that if he sees anyone hug me, he will go absolutely crazy, screaming and crashing against his cage.
if im not around, he will tolorate others. Except my MIL. He HATES her. HATE HATE HATEs her. When she comes by, we have to put him in another room, w/a radio on, because all he has to do is hear her voice, and he goes wild. In a way, its kinda funny, cuz I can totally relate!
There is no icon for ROTFL otherwise it would be perfect right now to describe my reaction! My Hahns does that!!! I have a cousin ... he hates her ... if he even hears her voice on the phone he goes balistic! And who does he attack? ME! Well, he nips and pinches me ... but his beak is needle sharp! Aries must be male, I am guessing, and you are his mate. Marilyn, our blue and gold, is like that with my husband - she is female - but she does love me and I can handle her any way I want.

As for Pepper, my husband will only do if I am not there THEN he is all lovey-dovey. Once he fell asleep on the couch with him. Pepper crawled under the blanket and settled down. When he woke up, he got up and his pants fell down - Pepper had slowly removed the snap, and all the stiching from around his the front and sides of his pant waist! LOL Okay, maybe at the time it wasn't so funny to him ... but I laughed pretty hard!

Old 11-30-2008, 10:24 AM

12,973 posts, read 3,223,915 times
I have a Derbyan named Chico and a cockatiel named David. (came with the name) Chico says a few things but doesn't have a giant vocabulary. She could take your hand off if she isn't interested in comany. She says "Chico gunna be a good girl?" and "Whatcha doin'" I was given both these birds. Chico was rescued from a woman who was fearful of her. She's too funny...she likes to sit on top of her cage and this is no problem. I have to put her in the cage if I will be away because she's developed the habit of roaming. I came home one time and could not find her. When I did finally locate her she was sitting on my recipe books EATING THEM! I immediately went over and retrieved her and she piped up "Chico good girl??" in which I responded..."No Chico....you are being a very bad girl".

Old 11-30-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trombley View Post
I have a Derbyan named Chico and a cockatiel named David. (came with the name) Chico says a few things but doesn't have a giant vocabulary. She could take your hand off if she isn't interested in comany. She says "Chico gunna be a good girl?" and "Whatcha doin'" I was given both these birds. Chico was rescued from a woman who was fearful of her. She's too funny...she likes to sit on top of her cage and this is no problem. I have to put her in the cage if I will be away because she's developed the habit of roaming. I came home one time and could not find her. When I did finally locate her she was sitting on my recipe books EATING THEM! I immediately went over and retrieved her and she piped up "Chico good girl??" in which I responded..."No Chico....you are being a very bad girl".
LOL! It is good for them to wander and explore their surroundings ... of course, supervised!! I never heard of a Derbyan - just goggled them and they are beautiful! Very intelligent creatures and good talkers!

Our Marilyn, after ten years, has finally figured out how to get down off her cage ... what can I say, this blue and gold is a slow learner ... or just plain lazy!!

Old 11-30-2008, 01:42 PM

12,973 posts, read 3,223,915 times
They are definately amazing creatures...each with unique personalities. I love the chewing the snaps off your husband's pants story. I would have died laughing!

Old 11-30-2008, 02:16 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,046,149 times
Lot better than what Aries chewed off my husband....The bird was sittin on my shoulder, nuzzling in my hair, cooing and kissing, and my husband leaned down to hand me something. Aries took offence at this inturruption of his "seduction". He removed a nice little chunk out of my husbands cheek!!! OMG...not good.
there is NO love lost between the two...
Funny story....couple years ago, my two youngest were in the bathtub, havin a great ole time in huge mounds of bubbles. Well, Aries was out, and something startled him bad. He went on a panic flight through the house....im chasing him down, and suddenly I hear Screams of Terror....splashing and water cascading everywhere..... oh yeah, he ended up flying into the bathroom, and in his panic, flew into the wall and went PLOP right into the bathtub along w/2 small children and all those bubbles. Can you picture this?? OMG...im dying laughing, one kids laughing w/my, the other screaming his head off, bird is going nutso trying to get his bearings and Im pretty much IN the tub, trying to FIND him and grab onto him amongst all those bubbles.....
Finally got him out, rinsed off and quiet in his cage to calm down.
It was DAYS before he'd venture out again....lol

Old 12-01-2008, 04:42 AM

OMG! What a tramatic experience! No wonder he didn't come out for a few days! LOL awwwww, poor little guy.

Ewwwwww! A piece of cheek?! My Pepper was on my husband's shoulder and decided to remove a small mole. Saved him a trip to the doctor's office!

I feel asleep with Pepper on the couch (this is before the pants incident - we should have learned). When I woke, he had trimmed my bangs, and nto in a good way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds